Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Just walking to my local takeaway. After stopping a few times to do a bit of lamp post admiring😉 and getting funny looks from joggers, dog walkers and motorists, I can confirm there is a sleetiness to the PPN now. Bring it on😃😃

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Just want to point out to you guys... Best snow events we've had in recent years in the SE have been forecast 12-24 hours before, showing on the models literally on one run.

Keep watching!

SM

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Jayces : why not use ....www.raintoday.co.uk/

and its FREE

Because it's a lower resolution and doesn't discern between snow, sleet and rain.

Also £3.49 is nothing and guess goes towards maintaining this great site ;-)

Posted

Shows -5 850hpa temps = rain (Usually) -7 850hpa temps = snow (usually)

Interesting

Last few years some of the Snow events from frontal snows we have had in the SE Has been all snow at -3 850hpa, Frontal snow afaik does not need as low uppers as Convective Snow Showers.

Must say I am surprised at the -5c being rain but you learn something new every day as they say!

Posted

This regional forum needs to be split up. Its just far too big as it covers nearly half the UK, or at least it seems. !

Posted

that met office app they use is as much use as a chocolate tea pot,when the BBC saying snow over Sunday night into early Monday, then we got a major snow event Monday evening into Tuesday!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

-5s are snow I thought?

From frontal snow -5c is more than adequate, especially during more moderate spells of PPN, -7c is generally the rule of thumb for convective showers

Posted

Nobody knows what is going to happen come monday granted. However we can only go by what charts are put in front of us and make a educated guess. Even though in such a complicated set up we know that that boundary between snow or rain will be moved next run. It is fun however to watch it unfold otherwise this forum will be so quiet.

Yes exactly, you state the words "educated guess". Some are clearly not posting anything like "educated" and are clearly getting peoples hope up with comments similar to ...... gonna be waist deep, absolutely nailed, blah blah.

Yes it's fun and part of the community, but a few smilies would help show it's meant to be taken lightly as some are taking it literally then getting all confused (as if it's not confusing enough already)

good.gif

Posted

A lot more sleetiness in the rain here now. Pretty soon I may even see a snowflake!

Chino please keep it to yourself if you do, otherwise everyone will want one!

I have put the base station for my weather station in the 'man drawer' in the kitchen. The trouble now is that every time I go in the man drawer for a useful piece of kit to carry out an essential piece of household maintenance, I get completely distracted and spend ages staring at the readings, which causes a lot of domestic grief, particularly when the water is still gushing through the kitchen ceiling, the boiler has gone out, the shelves have fallen down and the smoke alarm needs new batteries. At least, though, I can tell the family what the dew pont is reading and the hPa pressure trend.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

-5s are snow I thought?

If precip is heavy enough with a few other factors (Dp's etc etc) then it can. But -6 is marginal, in my humble learning. -7 Very good, -5 Hmmm possible but most likely not, above that forget it.

Posted

Paul...raintoday showes a clearer local area via postcode

But for £3.49 you can see whether it is rain, sleet or snow heading your way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow or stormy...colder the better

I've just signed up for the radar...love it so far...even more when it eventually [hopefully] shows epic snow heading my way lol

Edited by TheBigFreeze

Posted

Has anyone looked at liam duttons twitter page ??? look at his tweets from an hour ago ,not to good BUT subject to change .I hope !

Liam a good example of someone who appears to cover all bases in tweets over past few days which is fine, but its gone from significant, to reduced snow, to then seemingly not matching METO raw data to hints of rain and possibly little snow & before Monday risk bound to increase and reduce again.

This not a dig at Liam, he is saying what he has seen in data / been told.

It doesn't mean it's 100% nailed on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Both NW radar and rain today use the same feed though i think??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

few snow flurries looking like they are clipping Norfolk travelling directly East into Lincs/The Wash as I speak. If the winds swing more NE we may well import some overnight in the NE of the region :D

Posted
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich
  • Location: Ormesby St Margaret - Nr Gt Yarmouth / Work in Norwich

This regional forum needs to be split up. Its just far too big as it covers nearly half the UK, or at least it seems. !

Yes, as nice as everyone here is, it's covering a very large area. Maybe we can have it split in 2, I think this has been done before.