Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 13/01/13 ------>

A.J

Posted

On the radar it looks like the precipitation will have passed through western and central areas in half an hour or so. I take it its due to hang around in the East a bit longer, hence the warnings.

Posted

A62 scout head, A669 lydgate and up by the church inn will see very difficult driving conditions if this keeps up!!!

I am by the church inn. it is difficult now. Got to get to brass band tonight as well :0

Posted

Usual suspects getting snow this morning. No matter what you want to happen if you live in an area towards the coast then these types of set ups rarely deliver, look at the snow coverage maps and snowfall maps issued by the met office.

But having said that heres a question ..... up the M6, off at jn 35 Carnforth half a mile north of that junction its hammering down with snow. Looks like its been snowing for an hr or so. Everything is white. cars, fields etc. We are nearer the coast than Preston, (4 - 5 miles as opposed to 15 at home and I am actually at sea level here) and it is also noticably colder - car temp dropped 2 degrees within a mile and a half - won't be very accurate and i'm not really surprised with snow on the ground. Why is it snowing here when all other areas to the West of the M6 and further away from the coast are getting rain.

Posted

I am by the church inn. it is difficult now. Got to get to brass band tonight as well :0

Brass band at lydgate?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

What a bummer, thought it was too good to be true!! Woke up to heavy rain this morning! And temp 3 degrees , drizzle now....boo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Don't forget Hanley is helped by being up over 150 metres.

Don't remind me. Just makes it worse as Hanley and Crewe are quite close in terms of people in Crewe will often go there to shop or for a night out etc....it's just down the A500!

An inch of standing water here now

Posted

Brass band at lydgate?

my son plays for ashton-under-lyne. we will be trying to get to there. I am secretary of uppermill band as well. Edited by whitewitch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Usual suspects getting snow this morning. No matter what you want to happen if you live in an area towards the coast then these types of set ups rarely deliver, look at the snow coverage maps and snowfall maps issued by the met office.

But having said that heres a question ..... up the M6, off at jn 35 Carnforth half a mile north of that junction its hammering down with snow. Looks like its been snowing for an hr or so. Everything is white. cars, fields etc. We are nearer the coast than Preston, (4 - 5 miles as opposed to 15 at home and I am actually at sea level here) and it is also noticably colder - car temp dropped 2 degrees within a mile and a half - won't be very accurate and i'm not really surprised with snow on the ground. Why is it snowing here when all other areas to the West of the M6 and further away from the coast are getting rain.

Could be dew points, wind direction, wet bulb, things have to be so right for snow

Posted

If you know your region/area, you know yourself more or less what to expect. I am in with an 80+% chance of snow for Friday, can't see it myself, temps might be forecast correctly etc but I am on very flat land not far from the coast, if I was on a higher elevation 10 miles inland I would be excited. I will continue to read and learn but go with my own instinct aswell

Agree 100%. I've learned the hard way, no matter what the forecasts say about snow I never believe it untill its actually snowing. I don't think people actually realise just how little snow this part of the NW receives, people assume you live in the north you'll be buried under snow .... WRONG !!

Go with what you know, not with what you want to happen or what the fantasy charts show, living here it's rarely the wrong thing to do.

To rub salt in its still snowing here blum.gif

Posted

Could be dew points, wind direction, wet bulb, things have to be so right for snow

We are 25 miles inland with an altitude of 98m and a good few miles East of the M6 and it's still raining. Temp 2.4c and DP 0c Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Agree 100%. I've learned the hard way, no matter what the forecasts say about snow I never believe it untill its actually snowing. I don't think people actually realise just how little snow this part of the NW receives, people assume you live in the north you'll be buried under snow .... WRONG !!

Go with what you know, not with what you want to happen or what the fantasy charts show, living here it's rarely the wrong thing to do.

To rub salt in its still snowing here blum.gif

Still snowing? It isnt here in leyland :(

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #072

ISSUED: 1645UTC SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2013 (SG/GJ/GS/SM)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

ALL OF ENGLAND WALES CENTRAL AND EASTERN SCOTLAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0600UTC TUESDAY 15TH JANUARY 2013

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE WEATHER AFFECTING THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: HEAVY SNOW...ICE

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT AND INTER-AGENCY AWARENESS OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING S/SE OVER THE UNITED KINGDOM WITHIN THE TIMESCALE SPECIFIED. AS THE LOW TRANSITS THROUGH THE COUNTRY AND THE ASSOCIATED FRONTAL SYSTEMS PUSH SE MEETING THE COLD AIR CURRENTLY IN PLACE, SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR PROVIDING SOME HEAVY FALLS WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF BETWEEN 2-5CM AT LOWER LEVELS ALTHOUGH 5-10CM IS LIKELY ABOVE 200-300 METERS.

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/

Posted

Steady drizzle at Salford quays. Little change from usual just a bit cooler. Not bothered about snow rather see sunshine and frosty night's. Hopefully if ecm is correct should get some hp extending se from scandanavia later this week. Looks promising

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

You must like snow though, given your username, anyway i just wonder if we could stall the front a little bit more than the forecasters anticipate and this could turn into a corker!!!!!

Posted

Just checked the net weather forecast for me frid and sat! Wow if that comes of we shall be shut off!

Posted

We are 25 miles inland with an altitude of 98m and a good few miles East of the M6 and it's still raining. Temp 2.4c and DP 0c

How is it raining where you are and snowing in Preston?

The west usually gets the crap end of the stick, but this event isn't making sense.

Posted

How is it raining where you are and snowing in Preston?

The west usually gets the crap end of the stick, but this event isn't making sense.

Soda law can be the only explanation.

Posted

You must like snow though, given your username, anyway i just wonder if we could stall the front a little bit more than the forecasters anticipate and this could turn into a corker!!!!!

Hopefull wishing that mate ! If only.....you seen firecast on netweather fir us at the weekend ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

We are 25 miles inland with an altitude of 98m and a good few miles East of the M6 and it's still raining. Temp 2.4c and DP 0c

Thats the mystery of weather forecasting, could be warmer upper air temps?