Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 18Z 13/1/13 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

If only it went further South East, Undercut of the Millennium...

See the purple blob southwest of Greenland - that's the Canadian section of the polar Vortex!!!!

post-4523-0-41579600-1358115504_thumb.pn

It's going south on holiday!

Otherwise a good undercutting trend compared to the previous run.

Posted

Only just catching up on all this discussion today, but can I strike major note of caution re any comment on UKMO-GM raw at T+120 etc.... this underwent major amendment at Exeter to reach better consensus with EC/GFS 12Z and for now the broad anticyclonic pattern remains favoured, i.e. mostly dry barring boundary layer developments onto E coasts. There was no support for GM solution and hence Exeter changes, as doubtless reflected in FAX charts (albeit I haven't yet checked) are as per modified model frames as example posted here.

post-15852-0-98188400-1358116598_thumb.p

Edited by fergieweather

Posted

Only just catching up on all this discussion today, but can I strike major note of caution re any comment on UKMO-GM raw at T+120 etc.... this underwent major amendment at Exeter to reach better consensus with EC/GFS 12Z and for now the broad anticyclonic pattern remains favoured, i.e. mostly dry barring boundary layer developments onto E coasts. There was no support for GM solution and hence Exeter changes, as doubtless reflected in FAX charts (albeit I haven't yet checked) are as per modified model frames as example posted here.

what do you think are the chances of slider happening at the end of the week like ukmo?? or is this the big question that the mo cant decide?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Country Wide Snow at +288 ......from a westerly

gfs-0-288.png?18

gfs-2-288.png?18

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

Updated UKMO FAX for 120, while nothing like as extreme as the raw computer output is of interest though as it seem to poise a low pressure system for a possible undercut - but it looks like it may go too far south more towards Biscay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

and at 204z PV sets up shop in it's usual place and a westerly jet ensues. GFS not throwing us a bone at all, even the easterly looks like a maximum of a 1 day event.

Posted

Thanks for that,shame about those "modifications" though!

120 fax.. ukmo 120..

Posted

Just another question. Why is it called a Fax chart ? Does FAX stand for something ?

Is this a this weeks fax chart = Seems like there is a high pressure moving towards us on Thursday.

http://www.metoffice...oductId/4419010

facsimile-goes back to the days when weather charts were mostly transmitted that way

Its very unlikely , any westerly flow has so much modification that its exceptionally rare to see decent snow and cold off that type of set up.

You'll never get ice days or decent lying snow on low ground unless its from the north round to the east.

Actually NNW surface flow tends to be very good, especially if the source of the air, is northerly.

Does this mean the snow showers feeding in from the North Sea across most of the south is now unlikely? I'm referring to Wednesday.

Posted

As expected, too good to be true. Cheers for the update and hopefully it will be found to be a trend setter for the 0z :D

Posted

120 fax.. ukmo 120..

Yup: as expected, and obviously logical (!!), follows modified GM with the FAX. Am about to digest long analysis from Exeter on all the rationale.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

So its confirmed from the Met that Friday's UKMO chart won't happen then! fool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Country Wide Snow at +288 ......from a westerly

gfs-0-288.png?18

gfs-2-288.png?18

Can't see that happening at all, maybe towards the north but the uppers will be too high. Just by looking at the synoptic of that it's simply not cold enough.

Posted

120 fax.. ukmo 120..

Well take something positive from the modification, its still a good looking chart with enough energy going se to suggest that the cold could hang on for a while longer.

Theres still a chance for some fronts to skirt with the west/sw to produce some frontal snow, theres so much uncertainty so best to really view any post 96hrs output with alot of caution.

Posted

Did you not read his post? He practically answered that question..

yeah i understand that but there could still be a chance of the low sliding even if its really a remote chance and that why i was asking?

Posted

Actually NNW surface flow tends to be very good, especially if the source of the air, is northerly.

Didn't we get snow from a westerly a few years ago? It wasn't in that October snow was it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Can't see that happening at all, maybe towards the north but the uppers will be too high. Just by looking at the synoptic of that it's simply not cold enough.

Yeah I know, but couldn't help but post it, crazy charts, there are a few of them actually, I think there was a 945MB low at one point in the Atlantic.

Posted

As expected, too good to be true. Cheers for the update and hopefully it will be found to be a trend setter for the 0z :D

I think it's vital to appreciate Exeter can only be pragmatic and at this range, given model uncertainty, only run with what seems largely consensual as outcome. Anyway: it's far off in yonder given present climate of model nuance issues. We shall see.

Posted

So much uncertainty from all the models. Is there a certain crunch point within the charts where the models will get a grip and have a good handle on the approximate patern or is it always the same with cold synoptics with wild swings fro run to run ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I dont fancy our feeble block's chances against that huge 945mb piece of vortex in the atlantic http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1681.png!!

Posted

Lol! really you know I've only been on here 8 years, fancy that a nnw sourced in the north being cold!smiliz39.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

No worries, the mighty NOGAPS is showing the way forward

nogapsnh-0-132.png?13-23

Posted

well i think

The GFS,ECM,UKMO, T120 PV GH SW going SSW with LP on the JS around the NA sliding round the UK into biscay at T144,

this also

lets the HP over Sc head NNW and the SW head SE into EA.

while the SSW ?

Finally FI is F1 at T 12

P.S the PPn lght at T24 due to snow one having a clue

Edited by Stoxs