Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Just watched the BBC weather update and they're predicting significant snow for Friday, however if I check the forecast online and at the Met Office it doesn't show a great deal at all. At what point this far out do they upgrade their forecasts?

apparently updates and further warning are being released around midday

Posted

I wonder if anyone plans to do anything as cavalier as going out to buy a sledge or possibly a snow shovel ?

They had plenty of snow shovels at Aldi in Preston on sunday, and there have been loads of sledges at Go Outdoors Blackburn all winter ..... now there's a thought.

Posted

dont they normally give severe warnings out to 2 days in advance, or if its a sudden warning 24 hours, thats what i have been led to believe?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Updated Met Office warnings mentioning the 'B' word smile.png

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Edited by Liam J

Posted

met office has updated the warning to cover more of the UK on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Currently -1C in Leyland

Posted

Netweather 7 day forecast shows Sleet in Preston for most of Friday!? Can't be right?

Put your postcode in .... it'll change then - ive just checked it and it shows snow friday and most of saturday

Posted

Meto now being less specific about locations... saying 10cm+ though in places, I suspect they are unsure if/where the front will stall.

Posted

same here snow starting tomorrow evening, then all day friday and into saturday and all day saturday then fading out in the evening, then snow again most of the day monday lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

Updated Met Office warnings mentioning the 'B' word smile.png

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Don't ya just love Yellow snow alerts ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Better off well be snow all through the weekend! biggrin.png

Posted

I expect they are trying to pin down the detail for the hardest hit areas ahead of the amber warnings. The Meto team on Twitter mentioned amber warnings will be issued.

Met Office Storms â€@metofficestorms

Met Office warnings for #UKsnow on Friday will be updated around midday including amber warnings for some regions. Watch this space.

Posted
Posted

I know people like to use reverse-psychology to avoid putting a curse on proceedings, but since I'm not going to benefit one way or another I'll just say this - if Merseyside doesn't get significant snow by the weekend I'll eat Backtrack's entire sock collection. Big downgrades can happen close to the event, but even in that scenario there should be decent snow given how good things look at the moment.

On top of all this, Friday isn't the only show on offer. There could already be snow on the ground before then, and there's definitely the chance of more snow afterwards - and with the jet tracking south and low pressure setting up shop over Europe, the cold looks locked in for the forseeable future.

Dream synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

My stupid weather app is only showing moderate snow Friday only? It was showing more yesterday grrrr ........ Okay so I'm being greedy now lol