Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
Also on Saturday night we could get -15 to -20

Sounds far-fetched, but the outlook does actually make this a realistic possibilty. The general consensus in the medium term appears to be for a cold reload from the NE - a sheltered direction for NW England. Think of those very cold nights in late November 2010 but with lots of snow on the ground. It could be cold enough to freeze hell.

Posted

Sounds far-fetched, but the outlook does actually make this a realistic possibilty. The general consensus in the medium term appears to be for a cold reload from the NE - a sheltered direction for NW England. Think of those very cold nights in late November 2010 but with lots of snow on the ground. It could be cold enough to freeze hell.

...thats funny...because I would have said hell will freeze over before we get a significant snow fall...maybe I got it the wrong way round...we get a significant snow fall then hell freezes over

Posted

I don't think there will be as much as Feb 96 - that was a HUGE slow moving staller. On the morning of the event, the PPN had reached SW Scotland - Lancs coast and Wales and then took over 12 hours to get to me in North West Staffs.

It then snowed all day the next day (though increasingly lighter) to give around 7 inches, so you can see why there was such huge depths in a rough SW Scotland - Blackpool - Wrexham sort of line.

February 96 was utterly immense in West Cumbria. I can remember sitting on the school bus going over the hill out of my village, with a clear view over to southern Scotland, and just seeing a big grey wall where you could usually see the Solway. It started snowing at about 9am, and did not stop until after I had gone to bed. We were sent home at lunch time, had a week off school and played 'rock climbing' on the fronts of frozen snow drifts that were about 10ft high. Anything approaching that and i'll be as happy as larry.

Posted

I work nights in padiham its about a 5 mile journey from my house usually set off 9pm, ive a feeling i aint going to be getting there, also isnt it always strange how these sort of major events crop up, like on the 50th anniversaryof the 62/63 winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

a784775541e99232762579b43442a783.png

Severe weather warning for pretty much the entire region.

Cumbria and the Lakes missing out here, so unlucky!!

Posted

...thats funny...because I would have said hell will freeze over before we get a significant snow fall...maybe I got it the wrong way round...we get a significant snow fall then hell freezes over

Sadly I think Old Trafford has under soil heating so no chance for freezing over!!

Edited by WorsleySnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Liking the sound of GP's latest post in the MOD!

Posted

Sadly I think Old Trafford has under soil heating so no chance for freezing over!!

Think it will be called off for safety reasons, I can see alot of games being called off tomorrow even before it has started snowing

Posted

Cumbria and the Lakes missing out here, so unlucky!!

We have yellow and amber warnings across the whole region!

Posted

Very Feb 1996 so lets hope we achieve similar conditions! 10-15cm was forecast on low ground during 96 (similar to this Friday) and in reality it was more like 20-30cm+ level snow with drifts much deeper.

Posted

If anyone has an iPhone I strongly recommend downloading the 'Weather Pro" app. This uses the ECM data for its 5 day forecasts. Then check out Liverpool for Friday - a massive 11.8mm of precipitation :o!!! Work that out in terms of snow depth.... For Manchester snow is still forecast but not as much as the west coast.

Unbelievable output for our part of the world at present

Edited by Joe Bloggs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

How much can we expect in Wirral?

as it stands I would say 10-15cm.. I also think there will be an exceptional amount of snow lying on the beach

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather of all kinds, natural disasters and catastrophes.

Just my opinion that Cumbria and the Lakes will see some snow but nowhere as much as the rest of the region as it is right on the edge of the snowfall, whereas the rest of the region is right in the firing line of the front.

Does anybody agree?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Am I right in presuming this forecast snow event on Friday into Saturday could be worse than 2010? I can't remember the charts etc from then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

have we any thoughts about Saturday..... NetW has got snow forecast....but MetO and Beeb hanging back?

Edited by V for Very Cold

Posted

Just my opinion that Cumbria and the Lakes will see some snow but nowhere as much as the rest of the region as it is right on the edge of the snowfall, whereas the rest of the region is right in the firing line of the front.

Does anybody agree?

Are you completely ignoring the yellow warnings? We will get snow, maybe not as much as the east, but we will.

Windermere is well in the orange band anyway.

Edited by Spies

Posted

Are you completely ignoring the yellow warnings? We will get snow, maybe not as much as the east, but we will.

Windermere is well in the orange band anyway.

Yeah you are agreeing with me there mate.

Windermere will see snow,

just not as much as everyone else!!