Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

and don't rule out any snow showers in the south of the region today either, especially as we are keeping hold of the cold air. bbc local forecast says some precip hits the merseyside area today, but it's too cold for rain unless you live in a cave on the coast lol

Posted

Well thats an upgrade for me, shows snow here now for approx 24 - 36 hours.

Certainly starting to look like a 1996. We actually had more snow in 2009 in that week before Christmas than in 1996 - just shows what the convection off the Irish sea can do.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

mo need to upgrade their warmings I think. snowfall like this needs a higher warning me thinks. but caution still is needed as things can change dramatically as seen last sunday.

snowfall for over 30 hours straight

if you live to far east then i think you have a good point (but remember the east will eventually be affected by this snow at some point) otherwise you going to be very good for that snowfall event

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The only forecast I'm going to believe is at T0 and it's settling on the East Lancs......then and only then..lots of street light gazing until then!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pinch of salt with this chart! But this is the 6z predicted snowfall depths come 6pm Saturday, over 10cm widely and I expect much deeper in drifts.

post-9615-0-32379800-1358330287_thumb.pn whistling.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted

This does look interesting now! Still think anything solid wont happen til tomorrow afternoon really. I wonder if this will beat the 13 inches of snow in 2010?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

eek looking at this run.......are we on the cusp of something big

Posted

Some severely cold nights over the snow fields. cold.gif

post-9615-0-51518600-1358330636_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

wow this is all just amazing!!!

cheers for posting the charts guys, really useful whilst at work. no milder interlude in sight thus far in the run?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

According to the Telegraph it says: 'Through Friday and into Saturday a slow moving weather front will make its way eastwards across the country bringing the biggest snowfall this winter with four inches in many areas.' smile.png

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9804998/This-winters-biggest-snowfall-on-the-way-this-weekend.html

Edited by Fresh_Prince_Of_Leyland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

with four inches in many areas.' smile.png

id times that by 4

Posted

Pinch of salt with this chart! But this is the 6z predicted snowfall depths come 6pm Saturday, over 10cm widely and I expect much deeper in drifts.

post-9615-0-32379800-1358330287_thumb.pn whistling.gif

problem is this is experimental and not very good at all

Posted

Overnight minima got to -7.1'c in Buxton overnight so not as cold as anticipated but the GFS run was near-spot on. Currently -5.4'c at 10am this morning making venturing outside a quick affair, especially with the DSLR.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

What about today? There's cloud invading progressively from the west this morning. Is that precip over NI going to hit us. Snow flurries maybe?

it should start snowing in the south of the region tomorrow from around 10am on wards, then later tomorrow night as the start of the main band hits us, and continues all day friday and into saturday..so technically it starts tomorrow night for some

then again if it does stall, there will be some impressive snowfall totals like as been mentioned

I'm not sure this is supported by the model output? I don't see any significant snow for tomorrow. Friday however is a different matter!

Posted

That GFS run up to Monday actually looks quite scary for some areas of the midlands and to the south of our region.

that is exactly what we like to hear. lots and lots of snow, its been a very very long time since we had a decent dumping, 2010 was colder than it was snowy..i mean -21C lol

Posted

so far all the apps are saying light snow, but that's more than what they said yesterday for Wigan.

I wonder if the media report snowed in Britain and all that if we do get an event. (aware its a small rare chance)

I am excited it is about time we had something, but ill only have confidence Thursday evening if everyone in the know is still dancing around.

Posted

I'm not sure this is supported by the model output? I don't see any significant snow for tomorrow. Friday however is a different matter!

its going to be location location tomorrow I think. If your south of the region, snow showers and snow tomorrow night which leads into friday,

prob stop over night, then begin again in the morning. But as I say its going to be location dependent.

I still think the south (region) is going to be the biggest benefactor of this snowfall event not changed since yesterday, unless there is a sudden downgrade and if so i know i wouldn't believe it. But for my post snow showers off and on tomorrow, and snow begins tomorrow night late. as for significant, I do not think anyone mentioned the word significant, 5 or 6cm is hardly significant, friday will be significant and it looks like running right through to monday, with a drop off during sat afternoon and sunday with just light showers..then on sunday if the meto are right its back to snow again during the evening through monday

and finally if your trying to use a model to determine snowfall amount, i think you will struggle :p

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well the models are a real upgrade this morning... question is will we see that potential reflected in forecasts from MetO and Beeb.... 48 hours to go you would have thought some stronger warning signals would be going out

Posted

A snap shot of Friday, not very common weather graphics! lol

post-9615-0-39469000-1358332284_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Liverpool airport - snow showers

EGGP 161007Z 1610/1706 14005KT 7000 FEW020 PROB40 1612/1617 9999 PROB30 TEMPO 1705/1706 4000 -SN BKN008