Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 14/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Looking good for Manchester :)

Wondering if the football will be cancelled this weekend?

Posted

Meto forecast has upgraded a little since last night for my location - light snow now showing for all day friday into saturday. I'd expect a further change later on today. There must still be a degree of doubt in their minds.

Posted

Meto forecast has upgraded a little since last night for my location - light snow now showing for all day friday into saturday. I'd expect a further change later on today. There must still be a degree of doubt in their minds.

They normally change weather warnings around midday

Posted

Thought i was imagining it snowing, and it actually was, just very very light snow, look like powder snow to me, but its stopped since..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Cheers for that pic Liam - great to see rain well out into the sea for once. Snowman on the beach maybe?!

Posted

Chris if we dont get anything lets meet up and get totally ratted!

sounds like a plan...we can drown our sorrows.....Im normally pretty rationale but after a few scoops ill join blaming the meto...the models...the model thread.........

I have really annoyed myself now...Im getting pretty hopeful..and im never hopeful......again though I think of what a bookie would say...how many times in the last 20 years has this been modeled....and how many times has it happened? I dont know the answer to the first question...but the second is once.....

Posted

Can't remember when I last witnessed blizzard type conditions (i.e. whiteout) The 2010 North Westerly delivered a foot of snow but I can't recall the winds being particularly strong. I wouldn't be too concerned about being too far east, because there may be a few sliders coming our way over the next 5 days. Then again the easterly influence may push them back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Without ramping too much lol some places could see snow drifts metres deep cutting off towns and villages blum.gif

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well NetW has just been updated and Fridays precipation has gone through the roof.... were it to come off - a foot of snow in 2 days...is it too early to have a ramp? :D

Posted

well NetW has just been updated and Fridays precipation has gone through the roof.... were it to come off - a foot of snow in 2 days...is it too early to have a ramp? biggrin.png

not when it begins for some tomorrow evening :p:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I have just warned my staff about the risk of disruption due to snow on Friday, that can mean only one thing...................................It's bound to rain here now, and i'm going to look an idiot once again

Posted

Can't remember when I last witnessed blizzard type conditions (i.e. whiteout) The 2010 North Westerly delivered a foot of snow but I can't recall the winds being particularly strong. I wouldn't be too concerned about being too far east, because there may be a few sliders coming our way over the next 5 days. Then again the easterly influence may push them back.

The streamer that trundeled up the Mersey corridor a couple of days before Christmas 2009 was a monster, East Lancs was batterd for hrs...bring it on again...don't think I'll be driving to Wiltshire on Monday night next week!!!

Edited by WorsleySnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Precipitation accumlitaions for looking crazy from the 06z

Since precipitation is generally measured in inches of liquid water and not in snowfall amounts, snow is usually converted into inches of water by dividing by 10. Thus, ten inches of snow is equivalent to one inch of rain, below = about 8"

should add this is dependant on the kind of snow too, wet snow would (snowball or snowmen) would be slighlty less deep dry powdery would be slightly deeper (more air)

13012106_1606.gif

Edited by Nick JB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

How can it snow with -2 uppers

Posted

The streamer that trundeled up the Mersey corridor a couple of days before Christmas 2009 was a monster, East Lancs was batterd for hrs...bring it on again...don't think I'll be driving to Wiltshire on Monday night next week!!!

Pre Christmas 2009 - a repeat of those kind of depths and i'll be more than happy and so will the kids :)

Posted

I have just warned my staff about the risk of disruption due to snow on Friday, that can mean only one thing...................................It's bound to rain here now, and i'm going to look an idiot once again

I bet many of us have been there.......warning friends and family...only to end up with a big omelette in the face......Ive stopped now.....although on the flip side 2010 made me look like a genius!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

How can it snow with -2 uppers

With a south easterly feed of sub zero air and dew points from the continent undercutting the front then as long as the uppers are below 0c/-1c then it will snow, the uppers gradually fall anyway and the flow pulls even colder air into the front. air thickness are sub 528dam so looking good.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

I expect the winds pick up by tommorow afternoon.

Posted

Just watched the BBC weather update and they're predicting significant snow for Friday, however if I check the forecast online and at the Met Office it doesn't show a great deal at all. At what point this far out do they upgrade their forecasts?

Just watched the BBC weather update and they're predicting significant snow for Friday, however if I check the forecast online and at the Met Office it doesn't show a great deal at all. At what point this far out do they upgrade their forecasts?

From Ian Fergusson, Amber warnings to be issued by the Met Office at around midday for this event.

Posted

it actually shows more than 24 hours of continuous snowfall...even light snow fall can accumulate very very quickly into impressive totals. use nowcast nearer to the event, no model can tell you exactly how much snow your going to get...its called guess work and right now 24 hours of snowfall..will be significant, even more so if your in the firing line for 48 hours of the stuff...