Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just some light rain here, hope its not like this tomorrow!

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Daybreak weather ITV is showing Wales as sunny for 8am this morning!!! How wrong can they be!! :) Moderate snow here Upper Boat Tesco, Pontypridd.

Posted

Debating whether to go to work lol. Been snowing all night here but not much settled don't want to take the chance of us having a period of heavier snow before the main event tonight making it difficult to get home. :)

Posted

Debating whether to go to work lol. Been snowing all night here but not much settled don't want to take the chance of us having a period of heavier snow before the main event tonight making it difficult to get home. :)

wouldn't bother - WALES UNOFICIAL HOLIDAY HAS NOW BEGUN! lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted

wouldn't bother - WALES UNOFICIAL HOLIDAY HAS NOW BEGUN! lol

Seems like the holiday period in the model thread surprisingly quiet now they have realised all the snow belongs to us in wales biggrin.png

Think we are in for some major fun in the next few days and am going to enjoy winding up our english neighbours with proper snow.

Edited by djwayne

Posted

Everyone on twitter seems to be saying that Ireland gets the majority of snow, is that a downgrade for us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Everyone on twitter seems to be saying that Ireland gets the majority of snow, is that a downgrade for us?

NAE doesn't suggest that at all. Rain in Ireland. Northern Ireland will have snow too though not as much as us tho.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

Only the start of this weather/snow - tomoz 1 foot level snow - 2 - 3 - 4 feet drifts + rinse and repeat to end of month and beyond - 1947/63 and 80s stylee - global cooling not global warming for the next 30 years - so the same type of winters for the next 30 years - a "mini ice age" - sun has gone to sleep a little - natural cycles - gov is trying to keep global warming going so they can charge us what they like on taxes - it's a rip off!

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well it looks like an improvement so far for us in wales, with most seeing an all snow event now, can't wait for the fun to begin! What time tonight/tomorrow are we expecting the snow to arrive?

Posted

Well it looks like an improvement so far for us in wales, with most seeing an all snow event now, can't wait for the fun to begin! What time tonight/tomorrow are we expecting the snow to arrive?

4am blizzards move in - Anyone wann come in with me on a SKI resort - Wales 1st - best investment for the next 30 years - where would everyone like it - ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - dowlais top might be good for the top station and then black/red and blue and nursery green routes down to the bottom from there - bet it would be the best investment ever made for the next 30 years lol

Posted

Pretty much nailed on for all of Wales. Look forwards to hearing snow depth reports by tomorrow night! Let's have a bet on where the sweetspot will be (outside of Beacons, Cambrians and Snowdonia). I'll start off by going for Eastern Gwent Valleys - Pontypool, Blaenavon, Abergavenny..

13011806_1706.gif

Posted

Light snow here this morning, not as substantial really as it looks on the radar, but has amounted to about 2cm so far, covering the few areas where snow had melted from Monday, and in the area where snow hadn't melted from Monday, snow depth is now 4cm. Temp 0.4c, dp -1.7c.

Posted

I can see the deepest depth area stretching from the Rhondda over to the English border, staying south of around Brecon and north of Pontypridd and Caerphilly, so roughly the central and eastern Valleys and most of Monmouthshire. Surrounding areas will see significant falls, but being close to the sea yet high above sea level will help the above area.

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted

whats the bets on METO upgrade to warning to change to RED? Me thinks around 11/12pm today might be an upgrade.

given the amount of snow that is probably going to fall up here in the upper Rhondda and many parts of Wales, and that the front looks like stalling over Wales before slipping away I think that is more than probable. There could be an upgrade snowwise as a low pressure is expected to form over ireland and this is likely to slip down over wales on it's way south east. Imagine how much snow that will leave. Could be the worse snow, with winds this will be whipped up into large drifts, than we have seen for a long time. I notice that the snow is not likely to get over to the east of the uk now and amounts there will be small. Unless for them there is an upgrade. Will be an interesting day tomorrow.

Posted

Nice dusting of snow here in AberG as I head out for my run. Best get one in because I won't be running on Saturday morning.

I've not been able to run for days due to roads and pavements being lethal. I'm thinking of doing laps of tesco car park because at least they grit there!

Posted

Just watched Carol Kirkwood give today's forecaste. She showed us the light rain in Wales!!!! Have tweeted her. It has snowed most the night here in the upper Rhondda, is still snowing and looks very Christmas card. Only a light covering so no distruption but wish the BBC would get their forecast right. Tomorrow looking like a classic from the old day of the 60's to 80's when blizzards would hit the west because of warm fronts hitting a huge blocking cold. Enjoy guys. This has not happened for a very long time. The East and South East of England may get very little, if any tomorrow though..

I've almost given up on the TV forecasts - they are often hopelessly out of date in these kinds of situations, and those that don't use weather presenters often rely on automated computer updates (which are usually wrong). Best to stay on here and read what the experts have to say, also look at the radar, faxes, model output, NAE charts, etc. smile.png

Edited by Buzz

Posted

I've almost given up on the TV forecasts - they are often hopelessly out of date in these kinds of situations, and those that don't use weather presenters often rely on automated computer updates (which are usually wrong). Best to stay on here and read what the experts have to say, also look at the radar, faxes, model output, NAE charts, etc. smile.png

Wales was mentioned twice last night on World Weather forecast on CNN. Forecaster spent few minutes explaining about the fronts stalling mainly over Wales - quite surreal really coming from a US forecast team! Trying to dig out the video.

Posted

I'm glad I did my shopping yesterday! I'm off work at the moment with a broken foot so will be spending my time glued to the radar and looking out the window lol! Looking very good for this area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Well it's coming down nicely in Merthyr. Forecasts this morning had nothing of the sort this morning. If this is the starter then imagine the main course tomorrow.

Abergavenny could be pummelled.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I've not been able to run for days due to roads and pavements being lethal. I'm thinking of doing laps of tesco car park because at least they grit there!

It was pretty good under foot. Dry snow so no problems. Glad I didn't sign up to the Newport half marathon in March because I think training time will be at a premium over the coming month due to snow and ice.

Pretty much nailed on for all of Wales. Look forwards to hearing snow depth reports by tomorrow night! Let's have a bet on where the sweetspot will be (outside of Beacons, Cambrians and Snowdonia). I'll start off by going for Eastern Gwent Valleys - Pontypool, Blaenavon, Abergavenny..

13011806_1706.gif

well out of the three towns Pontypool, Abergavenny and Blaenavon..... there will only be one winner with snow depth lol being at around 350M ASL Blaenavon always gets it worse than most around the same area. I have seen heavy snow in Blaenavon and travel 2 miles down the road to Cwmavon and its raining.....

Posted

light snow here not sticking though, I have checked the netweather forecast for my postcode and they have us down for light rain all day and for tomorrow icy rain at 3+ 6 am and 6 pm with heavy rain in the middle ?

Posted

given the amount of snow that is probably going to fall up here in the upper Rhondda and many parts of Wales, and that the front looks like stalling over Wales before slipping away I think that is more than probable. There could be an upgrade snowwise as a low pressure is expected to form over ireland and this is likely to slip down over wales on it's way south east. Imagine how much snow that will leave. Could be the worse snow, with winds this will be whipped up into large drifts, than we have seen for a long time. I notice that the snow is not likely to get over to the east of the uk now and amounts there will be small. Unless for them there is an upgrade. Will be an interesting day tomorrow.

yes i think anywhere in SE Wales could be a casualty. Without sounding morbid it would be interesting to see a RED warning issued to see what the agencies pro-active response is and how it is handled.

Posted

Can someone explain how in Bridgend we have light rain from sleet earlier, a dew point of 1 degree and temp of 3 degrees, what in the current setup will bring the variables in favour for snow later when the main fronts arrive, surely as they are atlantic fronts they will bring in warmer air and force dew points and surface temps up??