Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 15/01/13 18z------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

We have snizzle here in normanton. Usually caused by the power station with the east winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Doesn't look mild after Friday's snowfall.

We have snizzle here in normanton. Usually caused by the power station with the east winds

Very light snow falling here, Ferrybridge is 9 miles away so can't imagine it having any effect on what's happening here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Radar showing showers incoming!

Nothing too heavy.

I'm interested to see how Friday and the weekend pans out. I don't really mind how much snow we get (We've still got loads from Monday!). What I really don't want is to lose the cold.

A mixture of both would be good, but perhaps I'm being too greedy! We have had a fair amount of snow, it's just either not settled well or melted. Only a few bits left now. Latest GFS however looks good with snow across pretty much all of our region. Caution though as it could easily be moved west again on the next run so we really need to wait until late tomorrow before we know for definite how far east it's going to progress. Even then it'll be down to nowcasting during the event itself.

This however, is looking fairly good! http://www.weatheron...=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Edited by Cold Winter

Posted

So IMBY, those weather charts indicate up to 24 hours of snowfall!

Posted

Ok, a quick view at all the models precipitation charts >

GEM: Snow band reaches our whole region, giving several hours of moderate snow (Friday Morning to Saturday morning)

gemfr-2-60.png?00

GFS: Snow band reaches our whole region, but is lighter and patchier than some of the other models. However, the band stalls over our region, giving nearly 24 hours of snow (albeit light to moderate)

63-574.GIF?16-6

UKMO: Precipitation band reaches our region, with several hours of moderate to light snow

U72-594.GIF?16-06

ECM: Precipitation band reaches us, leading to several hours of moderate to light snow, it clears into the North Sea late Friday

130116_0000_60.png

NOGAPS: Precipitation reaches us, although is light and patchy (i would normally ignore this model)

nogaps-2-66.png?16-11

Overall it seems there is general consensus for the band to reach us, and give a good few hours of snow. I would probably lean towards the 6z GFS solution, in that it will reach us, but will be lighter (although it could then stall!). As ever its going to be a case of radar watching and nowcasting, although hopefully the models do not push it back west again!

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Looks really great for our region now with stalling snow.

Look at the tight isobars, blizzards, anyone?!

66-21.GIF?16-6

Temperatures well below zero, followed by very cold nights

Bring it on, I say..

If that came off here we would be having about a foot of snow just from Friday, as that angle of attack is about the worst for this area due to the 2 main valleys running along that line. Every time it comes from that angle we always get big snowfall, even from streamers never mind this deep front.

Posted

There we go, warning covering most of the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Low of -9.0c overnight, I see many places in the region hit -10/11c. Still -5.4c currently, well on for an ice day. Around 7cm of lying snow left and clear blue skies. Lovely.

Posted

First warning is out

Yellow Alert of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber

Yellow Alert of Snow for Yorkshire & Humber : North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston upon Hull, North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire & York valid from 0300 Fri 18 Jan to 2355 Fri 18 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

I really hope Friday brings us what the charts are hinting , Monday was such a let down here .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

So in the space of watching the weather last not on bbc and going to sleep it has now all changed?

And u have just looked outside (yes I'm lazy I have just got up but I am nights tonight) and it looks amazingly cold outside :)

-4.8 according to our local weather station

Bbc only showing light snow over our region. Could this change to heavy. In the space of a few hours its gone from none to some! I've only been watching the weather and getting in to it a short slave if time and this is now just clearly showing how crazy it can be to predicting the conditions.

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

still to early for me to start getting excited about friday/saturday, many twists and turns still to come i think, and its only forecast to be light snow if any.

Posted

Half of west Yorks is amberised, half is still yellow. the amber says more than 15cms quite widely (with 25cms or more over hills), the yellow says 10cms widely, probably 15cms over hills.

Wouldn't be surprised on this basis to see amber area upgraded to red and the rest of west yorks at least to amber. could see widespread 15cms with perhaps a foot over elevations.

Either way, blizzard conditions possible IF the models don't backtrack.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

I'm guessing north lincs would be a little too easy to get the amber warning at the moment.

Still I'm keeping chilled and not getting o excited yet as the first thing I've learnt in a short space of time is how quickly these runs and predictions can change. So if they o change lets hope it's for the better but as someone stated last night are we not better off missing this and greeting it from the North Sea or is it take what we can?

Edited by Lincstim

Posted

Over 24cm for some parts of our region according to the GFS

96_35.gif

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A couple of things...

I'm not sure which model has the highest resolution but to go by GFS then snow will only be light to moderate and so even for 24 hours probably won't be producing massive amounts of snow, the caveat here is that the GFS suggests temperatures well below 0C as it snows though which may mean anything that falls settles as opposed to the waste on Monday of falling onto wet ground.

In regards to blizzards they won't be happening for most of us though it is pleasing that we have wind forecast for once which should make things interesting.

Personally i'm hoping for a push 50 miles east so that the snow becomes heavier.

Posted

Looks quite heavy for a time for some

54-574.GIF?16-6

57-574.GIF?16-6

Craven/Harrogate, West Yorks and South Yorks should do pretty well IMO, with smaller totals further east but still significant.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Snowing in Scunny! bizarre and covering paths and car! Yet the suns out, and it's foggy???

It's still -4c here matecold.gif