Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 16/01/13, 12z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Need to calm my excitement here, if this goes belly up then I think i'll be very ill lol

Posted

Well i have got to be at manchester airport early morning sunday for a flight to finland . Hope the airports clear up

Posted

If im stood outside on Friday with snow up to my ankles i will be ......lost for words and i will eat my hat after ive gone in and finished wearing it..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold please!

5f1a9d3fb1cac304463eae1446211ac8.png

Fresh snow accumulation predictions for Friday

Posted

Can't believe you can't remember the 96 event the whole of the Northwest was buried in over a foot of Snow, even Blackpool & Southport!

Yes it is a little strange. Maybe my interest in weather wasn't as strong as what it is now. Perhaps it petered out a little as it moved east and was remembered more by western coastal areas who dont' often get such deep levels of snow.

Posted

Haven't mentioned it to anyone else yet ...... although I may give the game away when I nip out tonight for the sledges. Can't disappoint the kids again, i'm in the bad books already after several failed " it'll snow tonight" eposides.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

The key models to look out for today are the 12zs. If they show a massive downgrade then it may be time to abandon ship - although I don't think they will.

Can an Admin please add the word "downgrade" to the swear filter?

Posted

Haven't mentioned it to anyone else yet ...... although I may give the game away when I nip out tonight for the sledges. Can't disappoint the kids again, i'm in the bad books already after several failed " it'll snow tonight" eposides.

yeah me too..like "you probably wont be going to school in the morning or you may be sent home" Doh

This might sound abit OTT, but this is the way i see things, we have fronts trying to push in from the west, which will not make any significant inroads into our cold block to our east.This event coming up on friday reminds me of the feb 96 event when we all got sent home from school, I was 14 at the time and can honestly say ive never seen as much snow as that before, we easily had over 30 cms at a relatively lowish level, so i think the depths of snow being predicted thus far will be way out.

I predict low lying areas will get between 25 and 40 cms quite easily and maybe more.

The tops of the hills, pennine areas, I wouldnt be surprised to see anything between 50 and 70 cms

Plus once the main band has come through, there is always the chance of streamers setting up almost anywhere like 2010 which could add a heck of alot more snow, its going to be absolutely fascinating for sure.

Think your being a tad too optimistic with regards to actual snow depth for the lower ground but otherwise I agree with you. A potentially golden moment coming up for us through the next few days!

Posted

yeah me too..like "you probably wont be going to school in the morning or you may be sent home" Doh

It used to be if somebody said the "even larger teapot" it would filter to "christmas pudding"

EDIT: It appears that it now filters to "even larger teapot"

Edited by kev19

Posted

It used to be if somebody said the "even larger teapot" it would filter to "christmas pudding"

EDIT: It appears that it now filters to "even larger teapot"

? Sorry youve lost me

Posted

Matt Hugo on twitter -

#rossendale #lancashire - Severe winter weather possible on Fri, with disruptive large snowfall totals possible, especially on high ground.

Posted

I think he was possibly replying to my post. smile.png

obviously now reading back...you know for a minute then i thought i was 4 cans short of a 6 pack.

Posted

Think your being a tad too optimistic with regards to actual snow depth for the lower ground but otherwise I agree with you. A potentially golden moment coming up for us through the next few days!

possibly but i honestly dont think il be far off the mark, we will all find out in a few days, but its looking brill for us all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Can't believe the wirral snow shield is still operational.

only just though - it could still move couldn't it?

Posted

BBC showed 3hrs of heavy snow last sunday and we only got very light snowfall - now they are showing only light snow throughout Friday/Sat so hopefully we'll get buckets of the stuff.

p.s. is there a Late Sunday into Monday event showing aswell?

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Whoah 80,90 and 100% across the board for leyland friday!! http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snowforecast;page=3;type=winter;ct=17283~Leyland;sess=#forecast 100% across the board saturday too, nowt sunday, mon 80% and then tues!

Posted

Can't believe the wirral snow shield is still operational.

You're in the 2-5cm band. The snow depth estimates tend to be conservative for some reason when it comes to Met Office weather warnings. I remember 2-5cm being bandied about for the snow event of 17th December 2010 but over 10cm fell widely and many places got over 20cm.

The fact that "10-15cm quite widely" is being predicted tells me depths could be considerably more in many places.

Posted

5f1a9d3fb1cac304463eae1446211ac8.png

Fresh snow accumulation predictions for Friday

I love it!

I just hope the systems slows dowm on the western half of the country so that we get as much snow as possible! The excellent thing is that no thaw is expected over the weekend!

Karyo