Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 16/01/13 22z ----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hopefully my garden will look like this again tomorrow smile.png

2rdjkev.jpg

Can anyone guesstimate how much snow that is?

6 inches. search.gif

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow ..

i dont agree at all anything that comes in from the west is likely to hit cornwall i cant see it missing cornwall then running up through the channel then north again not because rude either would be a rather strange thing for a weather system to do.

think we are to warm, so it comes in as rain and then hits the cold which you have further up..... hope we get some and have been surprised before smile.png

Edited by caz100

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

Its raining here in Frome. Not snow or sleet just rain, not heavy. I think it`ll change to snow though as winds swing S.E ahead of the main frontal system coming in.

Same in Warminster, although flakes starting to come down now! How do you think we will fair tomorrow? I think at least 10cm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

All snow for us all.even the chap at the Isle of Wight weather centre has changed his mind and forecasting at least 5cm for us..happy hunting everyone :-)

Still not a gimmee I'm afraid, not being negative just being cautious. good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: what's the bloody point when you live in Britain

6 inches. search.gif

That looks like 1.5 - 2 inches to me?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Here, here ... anyone got a whiff of this happening ? search.gif

Near the coast will do ok, just that it will start as rain then turn to snow, there is a delay in how much snow settles because of the time it takes to turn and then the snow has to get a hold to settle where as if it starts as snow then obviously there is a greater risk of disruption with greater accumulations, this is why we by the coast only have a yellow warning. So I will stick my neck out and say that most coastal areas away from Cornwall will get some lying snow some more than others, this has usually been the case from 43 years experiance of living by the coast with this kind of set up.

Posted

Newbury's gonna get pasted. I can feel it in my bones! Woohoo, bring it on!!!!!!!

No comment.

Posted

Here, here ... anyone got a whiff of this happening ? search.gif

As a fellow southern, I am very much aware of the coastal rain chance compared to the snow chance. I bet you guys have had rain here and seen the amount of snow in Petersfield just to our north, always depressing.

But those have had winds either from a SW or S. This event is rather different, with winds from the SE. something that is also very interesting is that Northern France is much colder than us. Most northern France cities and towns are reporting -1 to -3 this afternoon. With temperatures there much colder over night, the SE winds will basically push that colder 'drier' air over the channel and to our shores.

With this sort of temperatures, I would be surprised to say the least if anywhere from Poole eastwards got rain, even right on the coast.

By this evening, we should have a better grip on the situation

SM

Posted

Looking good still although slightly confused by mid day bbc weather I watched as it shows heavy snow sweeping through and going east? I thought it was going to stall over wales and the west or even pep up again into the evening? fool.gif

You will remain confused until it starts falling in the Mendips, mull, thats my suggestion FWIW. sorry.gif

Posted

Latest meto ukv model illustrates very well the latest thinking with the alerts as well as recent change to forecasts for things to still more.

I has precip at 5cm / hr over the red zone for approx 6 hrs. This does extend south to the mendips but doesn't hang around as long only 3 hrs hence the comments re 11 inches for mendips and cots. Just to add you get snow in these areas for longer its just this more intense period.

It shows much slower movement of the front and keeps it hanging around in east of the region until 3-4 pm.

It should be said that it also has some stronger pulses from Yeovil southwards which travels west to east, regions such as northern new forest might be pleasantly surprised if this came off.

Generally the precip is much more organised with a band of snow with a rate of 2-3cm lasting for 5 hrs or so.

Ukv only goes out 36 hrs but the general feeling is that at approx 4-5pm Friday the precip stalls and starts to move nw I.e it might come back over for Friday night.

Posted

That looks like 1.5 - 2 inches to me?

I always exaggerate, especially in the company of female model types. p041.gifrofl.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

What's my outlook here...times, amount etc..?

Posted

As a fellow southern, I am very much aware of the coastal rain chance compared to the snow chance. I bet you guys have had rain here and seen the amount of snow in Petersfield just to our north, always depressing.

But those have had winds either from a SW or S. This event is rather different, with winds from the SE. something that is also very interesting is that Northern France is much colder than us. Most northern France cities and towns are reporting -1 to -3 this afternoon. With temperatures there much colder over night, the SE winds will basically push that colder 'drier' air over the channel and to our shores.

With this sort of temperatures, I would be surprised to say the least if anywhere from Poole eastwards got rain, even right on the coast.

By this evening, we should have a better grip on the situation

SM

Thanks for the update. Great insight. Hope you are right too.

Posted

Is that a "yes, I couldn't possibly comment", no comment..........?

No comment. tongue.png

Posted

Hopefully my garden will look like this again tomorrow smile.png

2rdjkev.jpg

Can anyone guesstimate how much snow that is?

Not quite as much as you will get in the 12 hours from first thing tomorrow morning fella!!!! laugh.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

What makes you think there are precip upgrades on the way Iceberg?

altered to refelct original question

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heatwave, Thunderstorms

Is basingstoke in the firing line at all?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Light snow here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Snowflakes are falling, I can see them out the window, so excited!! :-)