Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion - January 17th 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Just a quick question, can I get to Liverpool tomorrow, or will it be a snow day ( it's been snowing for six hours)

snow day in liverpool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

Eno going for "heavy winds" and snow :-) lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

Eno says more snow on saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Please help. thanks martin

Birmingham looks to be a prime area for some of the heaviest snow. He might struggle getting back once that snow sets in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Should be okay sticking to the main motorway routes through Cheshire, it won't be a 'walk in the park' by any means but 210m asl here near Disley we have lying snow and more to come through the night before the main event.

So its a matter of wait and see till the morning ? he said he is going to set off he is based near jodrel bank and go from there ?

Posted

Birmingham looks to be a prime area for some of the heaviest snow. He might struggle getting back once that snow sets in.

right I am going to show him now thanks

Posted

So its a matter of wait and see till the morning ? he said he is going to set off he is based near jodrel bank and go from there ?

Jodrell Bank does seem to catch the snow now and again, keep an eye out on the Manchester Airport METAR reports as this would give the better indication of when the heaviest snow is likely to fall. Probobaly NOTAMS later on in the day if the drifts accumulate across the airfield.

Posted

Latest BBC forecast still reluctant to bring North Eastern parts of the North West into play until late on Friday and maybe into Saturday, when the eastery winds may drive clusters of showers quite easily over the pennines. I think if I don't get much tomorrow during the day then hopefully there may be optimism later on Friday evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Jesus christ ITV still have no comprehension of snow in this area at all. What da telephone box is wrong with them . HELLO ITS STILL SNOWING HERE :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

According to Eno, the red warning will feed snow into our region, she's thick.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

If this was the day before the Feb 1996 event, and we had all the models back then as we do now, i wonder how much upgrading / downgrading would have happened prior to it? If i remember correctly that event wasn't meant to last too long, then it stalled and nearly made history in the North West??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

If tomorrow turns out to be as bad as expected in the North East then I won't be travelling across to the Lakes after all, but good luck for the snow anyway! Hopefully we will have a country-wide blizzard tomorrow.

I'll bet some of those snow showers will make it across the Pennines during tomorrow night and Saturday in case tomorrow's front disappoints.

Posted

Jodrell Bank does seem to catch the snow now and again, keep an eye out on the Manchester Airport METAR reports as this would give the better indication of when the heaviest snow is likely to fall. Probobaly NOTAMS later on in the day if the drifts accumulate across the airfield.

NOTAMS ? not sure what this is but thank you so much What is it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

the stalled front here just still not going anywhere. hopefully it could merge with the other front to get intensification.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

If this was the day before the Feb 1996 event, and we had all the models back then as we do now, i wonder how much upgrading / downgrading would have happened prior to it? If i remember correctly that event wasn't meant to last too long, then it stalled and nearly made history in the North West??

The front was aligned on a totally different axis back in 1996, it was more N-S with a slight tilt backwards. Superb event though up here 30-40cm+.