Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 18/01/13 12z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Anyone tell me what it's like near burnley? Travelling from Durham to work tomorrow morning depending on conditions. Cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Its raw out there! Iccicles everywhere, very fine snow in the bitter wind but temp only 1.2 feels more in the minuses to me but hasnt been since the snow started, very dark again, whats weird though lol is i can still hear sodding seagulls!! Lol

Whereabouts are you in Leyland Sparkle?

Posted

Is that area of heavier area of precipitation south of Sheffield creeping slowing north-west going to get across the region? Looks like it's going to make it to those on eastern side who've had very little so far.

Appears to be heading towards north lincolnshire and the Humber

post-6751-0-75231200-1358524442_thumb.jp

Posted

Looks like it pelting down in buxton, cant remember but Whaley Bridge in betweer Buxton and Glossop is it not?, i was thinking of moving to High Peak before i moved here, it was a toss up between the two, had to do it quick though and ended up at the lowest elevation in the whole place, Buxton still the best place i think, or Flash better still.

Kind of more between Buxton and Stockport. Not surprised about Buxton as historically its one of the snowiest towns in England, Whaley is about 8 miles away.

Posted

Car is now saying -2.0c and I am right on the coast. Slush has frozen and icicles where it started to thaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Liverpool airport TAF:

1200-2300 : snow, vis 900m, gusting 57km/h at ESE

1200-2300 : blowing snow

and some light snow tomorrow 0200-1200 with a E

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

I dont think it is,this has been the worst winter event in my lifetime,the front stalled 5miles to my south west and now the heavier stuff is going to slide past just to the east,really you couldnt make this up.gutted

Yup mega_shok.gif

Edited by Winter Monsoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Appears to be heading towards north lincolnshire and the Humber

Is there ANY chance the N Wales blob could go in the same direction towards Morecambe Bay/Fylde/west lancs?

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Latest reports on buxtonweather.co.uk

- It snowed steadily in Buxton through Thursday evening into Friday, and again through today - we have blizzard conditions again right now - we have 6cm of fresh snow in Buxton @ 15.50 Friday - Side roads have become near impassable in Buxton, but no reports of any main road closures - Buxton Community School has closed for the day REPORTS IN TODAY - "Just driven home on A53 from Leek to Quarnford. Seen it worse than this, so just be sensible. Not sure how summer tyres would get on though" Thank you Claire Yates @ 15.15 - BUT "A54 Leek Road is closed between the A537 junction in Buxton and Bosley Crossroads in Bosley, because of ice and snow." AND " A537 Cat And Fiddle Road closed with hazardous driving conditions between the Bull-Hill-Lane junction in Macclesfield and the A54 junction in Buxton, because of ice and snow" AND "They've just closed the Cat & Fiddle. It isn't too bad in all honesty the gritters and ploughs have made it passable for most. Those on pretty summer tyres were skating though. Two wagons are struggling around the A54 turn and that could be enough to clog the roads. Long Hill looks to be flowing ok with Care" Thank you Martin Scholes

Posted

It might get better here as the wind shifts from South/South East to a more South East/East

Is there ANY chance the N Wales blob could go in the same direction towards Morecambe Bay/Fylde/west lancs?

I dont think so as the wind direction is going to shift as the evening goes on.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Anyone tell me what it's like near burnley? Travelling from Durham to work tomorrow morning depending on conditions. Cheers

Well, I'm not near Burnley. It's about 15 miles east of here. Daresay others posting in here are nearer.

I suspect Burnley (like us) will have last Sun/ Mon's snow and ice lingering hardly melted, though all main roads clear. Everything falling is sticking as ground is so cold. So much depends on tonight. I'd expect Pennines east of Burnley will get a far fall tonight with some drifting as this snow is very loose and powdery.

Posted

well im near burnley..light crappy snow you will fine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Whereabouts are you in Leyland Sparkle?

At the mo im at my parents near worden park? Not far from tesco (towngate)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Light snow here again very fine,probably a depth of around 4cm

snow not settled on the road but good build up on the grass and

pavements

C.S

Posted

It looks to be fizzling out pretty much where it started, it's not moved much at all.

Posted

Well, I'm not near Burnley. It's about 15 miles east of here. Daresay others posting in here are nearer.

I suspect Burnley (like us) will have last Sun/ Mon's snow and ice lingering hardly melted, though all main roads clear. Everything falling is sticking as ground is so cold. So much depends on tonight. I'd expect Pennines east of Burnley will get a far fall tonight with some drifting as this snow is very loose and powdery.

are you sure drifting snow...i dont think we will see anything except snizzle

Posted

Latest reports on buxtonweather.co.uk

- It snowed steadily in Buxton through Thursday evening into Friday, and again through today - we have blizzard conditions again right now - we have 6cm of fresh snow in Buxton @ 15.50 Friday - Side roads have become near impassable in Buxton, but no reports of any main road closures - Buxton Community School has closed for the day REPORTS IN TODAY - "Just driven home on A53 from Leek to Quarnford. Seen it worse than this, so just be sensible. Not sure how summer tyres would get on though" Thank you Claire Yates @ 15.15 - BUT "A54 Leek Road is closed between the A537 junction in Buxton and Bosley Crossroads in Bosley, because of ice and snow." AND " A537 Cat And Fiddle Road closed with hazardous driving conditions between the Bull-Hill-Lane junction in Macclesfield and the A54 junction in Buxton, because of ice and snow" AND "They've just closed the Cat & Fiddle. It isn't too bad in all honesty the gritters and ploughs have made it passable for most. Those on pretty summer tyres were skating though. Two wagons are struggling around the A54 turn and that could be enough to clog the roads. Long Hill looks to be flowing ok with Care" Thank you Martin Scholes

Sounds about right, gusty here, but in no way could it be described as blizzard like, the extra elevation in Buxton makes all the difference.

Posted

It looks to be fizzling out pretty much where it started, it's not moved much at all.

Yea noticed that, almost stationed over Anglesey.

Posted

Now if this was rain, it WOULD have our name on it and we'd be getting a right drowning.

Posted

Council just gritted the industrial estate :s must know something I don't if thrre gritting here!

They've just run out of places to grit but have promised overtime to all the drivers so they need somewhere to put it!

Posted

are you sure drifting snow...i dont think we will see anything except snizzle

Thinking this wind is a bit brisk. Maybe drifts half an inch high?

They've just run out of places to grit but have promised overtime to all the drivers so they need somewhere to put it!

None of our hill roads have been salted so far this cold spell They must know something or saving money?