Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 18/01/13 14z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Still flurries tonight outside and the wind is bitter. With blowing snow it really feels like a proper winter night,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Same in Shrews guys, evenings been better than the afternoon! smile.png

Yeah your turn now, i am slightly too far east for heavier stuff, still got around 10cms so been great

Posted

you only have 10cm?! here we have at least 15cm of level snow easily!

may be more, will measure it tomorrow, huge drifts as well

Posted

It's the drifting thats made this event for me. We didn't quite make the total of Dec 18th 2010 but the fact that it's blowing around and piling up in corners and in snow swept banks really is something else.

Still snowing lightly...signs that the band is now finally moving away north...but it keeps filling back a bit and hangs on for longer!

Edit: and now coming down heavier than it was.

Edited by Gord

Posted

It's the drifting thats made this event for me. We didn't quite make the total of Dec 18th 2010 but the fact that it's blowing around and piling up in corners and in snow swept banks really is something else.

Still snowing lightly...signs that the band is now finally moving away north...but it keeps filling back a bit and hangs on for longer!

Edit: and now coming down heavier than it was.

Was better than Dec 2010 for me, at least the amount of snow, cold temps though no where near -11.5C

Posted

Was better than Dec 2010 for me, at least the amount of snow, cold temps though no where near -11.5C

Yeah, really pleased for you. It's great that we now have an event we can refer to in future that we can all agree was a great one around here. Dec 2010 discussions always seem a bit Black Country vs Staffordshire!

Posted

Way better here than Dec 2010. That may have lasted longer and was nice to av snow at Xmas but we never had more than 6/7cms in total. Id say 12cms + atm here. Will find out exactly tomoz

Posted

Had moderate snow for half hour now and light/v light since 6 o'clock, probably added 1 or 2 cm but it's now as heavy as its been since 1pm

Didn't expect this! Expected more in the afternoon and nothing now... It's been the opposite!

Forecasting this really does seem impossible :D

Posted

Way better here than Dec 2010. That may have lasted longer and was nice to av snow at Xmas but we never had more than 6/7cms in total. Id say 12cms + atm here. Will find out exactly tomoz

I concur. Certainly the best snow evemt since I moved out this way a decade ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

Radar update please ? And are we still expecting snow on Sunday ?

You can expect snow at any time out of nowhere in this setup. There are lots of heavyish showers bubbling-up over Wales but a lot are fizzling out over the higher ground and not making it here but some will get through. It's just a case of lamppost watching. As for Sunday, yes, there is a good chance of some more significant snowfall but its not nailed on. Won't really know for sure until a couple of hours in advance.

Posted

You can expect snow at any time out of nowhere in this setup. There are lots of heavyish showers bubbling-up over Wales but a lot are fizzling out over the higher ground and not making it here but some will get through. It's just a case of lamppost watching. As for Sunday, yes, there is a good chance of some more significant snowfall but its not nailed on. Won't really know for sure until a couple of hours in advance.

Cheers bud

Posted

The best snow event here since 96, just measured 7" level on the back lawn where mondays snow had survived more. Slightly less on other surfaces.

Posted

Snow fizzling out here now, 18z starting to run out, lets hope Sundays low is further west.

Edit: Snow for Sunday further North East on Sunday now.

Edited by conor123

Posted

We have this right now.

We have a chance of showers moving in from the east.

We have a smaller chance of siginificant snow from the south-east.

And that's all before Monday!

To think that on the 21st December, we were getting excited about the tiny chance of a very brief northerly on Boxing Day that may give us wintry showers (which dissappeared off the models very quick)! Need to go back in time and post to hang on in there...it's going to be fine!

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

The best snow event here since 96, just measured 7" level on the back lawn where mondays snow had survived more. Slightly less on other surfaces.

We've got well over 12 inches just down the road in Hartshill. I guess our elevation here makes all the difference.