Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 18/01/13 14z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Where in Walsall are you Jason?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder storms and hot summer days with a cool breeze

Apologies. I've just been out to measure the depth and its just short of 8 inches. It's a man thing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Lets hope it shifts further west then thx for the update

Posted

Why does the raintoday radar keep going wrong?!

Too many people using it?

Posted

Try this one

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/ZoomRadar?lat=53.0075&lon=-2.418181818181818&z=7&x=333&y=371

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

most the time its your cache needs cleaning[ie if its frozen or do'nt show at all] but all day its been on and off

Posted

Nae model has heavy snow over West Midlands Sunday at 6. So i could be off work Monday. Fingers crossed and get in. Will be enjoying snow tomorrow with my 2 yr old and 3yr old sons sledging.

Not sure bout heavy snow NAE shows precip rates of 1-2mm over a 3 hour period.

Posted

most the time its your cache needs cleaning[ie if its frozen or do'nt show at all] but all day its been on and off

Ive noticed that aswell!!i thought it was just my phone!!maybe its because a lot of people are using it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Snowing lightly here in Brownhills again. Dont know how long for though.

Posted

Any news on the front in the Irish sea ?

Winds turning ESE now, we've had the last of the snow from it now so just a few flurries overnight and tommorow, after that is anyones guess :lol:

Posted

Winds turning ESE now, we've had the last of the snow from it now so just a few flurries overnight and tommorow, after that is anyones guess :lol:

I have never know the wind direction to change so much lol there's seems to be quite a few potent showers coming up then :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

There's been some widely differing depths reported on here today so I thought I'd post tonights Midlands Today (6:30) Official BBC/Met Office snow depths.

Obviously drifts, elevations and some localisation would give rise to possible greater depths but the major variations would most likely be caused by the infamous "Over Exageration Man-Inches " syndrome! acute.gif

post-1596-0-21348400-1358553411_thumb.jp

Those depths fit in nicely with the 8-9cm depth I roughly measured on our picnic bench.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

To be fair, I was a bit surprised by the 14 cm I measured -- though remember that we still had a little lying snow from Saturday, plus more from Thursday evening, so not all of that fell today. But I went out again a little while ago and measured the other side of the car roof, in case drifting had been the cause. 11 cm there, so maybe that's a more reasonable total. But either way it was in double figures, pretty rare here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Christ if the 00z is anything to go by, more snow sunday afternoon, very heavy again for much of the day Monday. Could many of you be approaching snow depths of 20-30cm by the end of Monday?!?!? Quite extreme synoptics imo now. Usually its one or two snowfalls and thats it. This seems quite relentless. Perhaps a brief milder blip in a sense late next week before back into the freezer.

Even im forecast a few wintry showers Sunday into Monday! :)

There's been some widely differing depths reported on here today so I thought I'd post tonights Midlands Today (6:30) Official BBC/Met Office snow depths.

Obviously drifts, elevations and some localisation would give rise to possible greater depths but the major variations would most likely be caused by the infamous "Over Exageration Man-Inches " syndrome! acute.gif

post-1596-0-21348400-1358553411_thumb.jp

Those depths fit in nicely with the 8-9cm depth I roughly measured on our picnic bench.

Yes agree. Most people apear snow blind when measuring or guestimating there snow depth. That on the competative element and the British nature to say 'we/I have it worse than you' bizzare! Good snow event though and it's staying cold for a few days so plenty time time enjoy. As long as I has enough snow to sledge with my little sons I'm happy.

Posted

Yes agree. Most people apear snow blind when measuring or guestimating there snow depth. That on the competative element and the British nature to say 'we/I have it worse than you' bizzare! Good snow event though and it's staying cold for a few days so plenty time time enjoy. As long as I has enough snow to sledge with my little sons I'm happy.

They over estimate how dense fog is as well, however the official measurements are widely scattered and will not include areas with deeper depths. i am certain we had more snow here than in both 2009 and 2010, when we had 11cm, i measured 18cm where i judged the snow to be level and i am fairly confident that were it to be officially measured it would be at least 12cm and more likely 15cm.