Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just had a look at the radar and the back edge of the snow is still in Northern France its moving extremely slowly this one could be several hours once it arrives

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

you should get hit hard some places are reporting over 6 inches and still snowing hard down here

Posted

you should get hit hard some places are reporting over 6 inches and still snowing hard down here

Yes just looked at the radar and the back edge of the snow is still in Northern France (Calais area)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

the snow band dosent seem to be getting any closer lol on rain today there are some bright reds in the cloud appearing in the north sea that looks intense to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The stuff in the southern North Sea is heading north - don't forget there is some circulation as this is a small area of low pressure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The stuff in the southern North Sea is heading north - don't forget there is some circulation as this is a small area of low pressure.

I think its made very good progress in the last hour. If its that intensity when it hits here, it will give a real dumping.

Posted

Hopefully tomorrow goes well, but I already have my beady eye on Wednesday for some typical North Sea snow if it doesn't.

Posted

That band in SE England seems stationary, could be a long time before precip... Plenty of snow down there in East Anglia and the South East.

It will move as the low pressure starts moving up North, could be an interesting radar in 12 hours time but we have to wait and see I suppose.

It is a bit marginal but I do feel for most of the region it will be snow if PPN is heavy enough. Radar watching from here on in I guess.

Posted

Light snow pellets here.

Posted

Another ice day today although -0.3 at 1255 is the highest since last monday. -1.1 now and dp of -4.2. Just need that ppn.

Posted

Had some washing powered stuff just after 4 for a few seconds thats all so far

Watching the radar and once this system arrives we could get a pasting its moving very slow almost stalled its moving that slow

But remember the bulk of the snow is a good 8 to 10 hours away so as Cpl Jones would say Don't panic

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Hopefully tomorrow goes well, but I already have my beady eye on Wednesday for some typical North Sea snow if it doesn't.

The +72 fax chart shows the end of the front close to us which could produce a similar finger of showers to Friday. With the slightly colder uppers forecast also, you may well be right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

places in kent have reported 16-20cm and temps not getting above -0.6 all day it must remain snow for us!! Whats the betting i get about 2cm of slush lol

Posted

places in kent have reported 16-20cm and temps not getting above -0.6 all day it must remain snow for us!! Whats the betting i get about 2cm of slush lol

Upland parts of NE England could be seeing twice that - or at least the precipitation charts were showing 10-15mm of rain equivalent down there, and 30-40mm up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder snow

Afternoon all,just back from work and id say we have lost 40-50% of the snow cover we had. I ain't very confidant in the snow reported for tonight or tomorrow to be honest, im prepared for sleet/rain here but still been a good spell of cold weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I love living in consett for events like this...Pity i have to travel to work in the morning.

I hope you have bread, milk and a tourch!

Consett will be ground zero for this event and you are looking at 30cms as a minimum.

Situation is similar although of course not as severe as the 'Great North East Blizzard' of February 1941 when 4 feet was recorded at Consett.

Extract below taken from: http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather/bonacina.html

Third week Jan., 18-20th Feb., blizzard north east England and south east Scotland, worst since Mar. 1888? West Midlands, Wirrall, north west England 12-15in. Consett 4ft. 6-16ft drifts, County Down. 26-27th Mar., northern Scotland. worst since 1879? Tain 3ft., Oban 9in.

This was the synoptic situation at the height if the storm

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1941/Rrea00119410219.gif

Andy

Posted

I hope you have bread, milk and a tourch!

Consett will be ground zero for this event and you are looking at 30cms as a minimum.

Situation is similar although of course not as severe as the 'Great North East Blizzard' of February 1941 when 4 feet was recorded at Consett.

Extract below taken from: http://www.neforum2.co.uk/ferryhillweather/bonacina.html

Third week Jan., 18-20th Feb., blizzard north east England and south east Scotland, worst since Mar. 1888? West Midlands, Wirrall, north west England 12-15in. Consett 4ft. 6-16ft drifts, County Down. 26-27th Mar., northern Scotland. worst since 1879? Tain 3ft., Oban 9in.

This was the synoptic situation at the height if the storm

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1941/Rrea00119410219.gif

Andy

March 1979 was a good one too, 50cm in the centre of Newcastle, although it lasted twice as long as this one is predicted to. I still agree that somewhere high up should be looking at very large totals, unfortunately it looks marginal at low levels. If I get 30mm+ of rain its going to be gutting, knowing I was so close to a spectacular event!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

This is how GFS see's things for tomorrow

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Bloody hell I hope the GFS is right, it brings the snow right across Cumbria to the west Coast!

Clearly at odds with the MetO forecast.

Andy