Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 21/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

Well what do you make of this folks, its getting dragged across towards us if i run the animation

No mention on meto but its there and moving this way !!!!!!

post-16159-0-33080900-1358779425_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Well what do you make of this folks, its getting dragged across towards us if i run the animation

Is this just not Scotland's endless supple for the next day!

Or do you think it will get us, (especially burton and scunny)

Posted

I swear you mentioned this earlier, and again it's not moving towards us it's an error with the radar, run the radar through and you'll see it disappears in a curved line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

If you look at the radar it seems there's a long tail which keeps is slowly drifting its way up through Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Thats been in the same position since last night so i doubt it.

Posted

I saw this earlier but the trajectory seemed to be heading further up the coast. Are you saying it's heading a little lower?

Posted

Just came back from the superrmarket and thought our street looked so nice i parked up at home and walked back to take a pic... (Apologies to those in York, Scarborough and anywhere else less fortunate, but hope you enjoy the pretty trees lol!)

BB

post-7351-0-86109000-1358779319_thumb.jp

Nice!

I really can't complain after 2 consecutive heavy falls last Monday and Friday in which most places missed out. Would have been nice to see more and thaw is a shame but as i type heavy snow coming down and giving us a covering again.

Dew point is 0.4C so theres not much in it and plenty more precip to come.

The fat lady may be warming up but she aint sung yet! lol!

Posted

If you look at the radar it seems there's a long tail which keeps is slowly drifting its way up through Leeds.

Indeed it's prolonged the snow by a good hour or two, on its last leg soon, the last of the snow till the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The snow has stopped here and the temperature has dropped to 0.8C- the lowest it got to overnight. Not sure why the temperature mostly held up at or above 1C here when the snow fell (and the same happened at Topcliffe and Leeming according to Weather Underground), despite reports of falls to near freezing elsewhere in the region- perhaps the warming effects of the North Sea penetrated a fair way inland?

Posted

Last one from me, sizeable snow drift up the side of the tree, must of been 50cm drift if not more..

post-8968-0-41111200-1358780248_thumb.pn

Amazingly it's still snowing the heavier echo has been stationary over north Leeds for three hours now.

-1.6c

Posted

Looking at the radar i think S*unthorpe is manufacturing cloud and snow!

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting

A few taken in the garden this morning. Measured depth of 21 cm - current temp -1.2C. Nearly lost our dog in it!

post-8724-0-15948000-1358780811_thumb.jppost-8724-0-72126800-1358780834_thumb.jppost-8724-0-40305600-1358780860_thumb.jppost-8724-0-52425200-1358780983_thumb.jppost-8724-0-91284000-1358781008_thumb.jp

Posted

I am a total amateur, but the heavy ppn that's currently off the coast of Great Yarmouth... is that likely to make it round to this region overnight? Or will it dwindle, divert or otherwise disappear?

(There's still stuff heading for Scarborough / North York Moors - is it falling as snow at Scarborough currently?)

Edited by doctordunc

Posted

I am a total amateur, but the heavy ppn that's currently off the coast of Great Yarmouth... is that likely to make it round to this region overnight? Or will it dwindle, divert or otherwise disappear?

(There's still stuff heading for Scarborough / North York Moors - is it falling as snow at Scarborough currently?)

It is now! Ground very wet after the sleet and thaw but it's all snow now and giving us a dusting (slushy on the roads).

Temp 0.4C and dew point 0.3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just measured up and on the wall there's 8.5inch!! 1.5 was left from the other day so 7inch fell last nite, not too shabby at all!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

Can anyone give me an idea of what things are likely to do around the Skipton area for the rest of the day and into tomorrow? I can't make head nor tale of things like charts etc sadly.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Just took measurements as even though its still falling its not going to add much more.

An area that was completely clear of snow prior to last night had 21 cm of new snow, area that was partially sheltered and clear had 18 cm's.

I intend to measure one of our fields that has no animals on it and see what that's like as it could have a significant amount on there now from the past few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms. Big ones.

Just took measurements as even though its still falling its not going to add much more.

An area that was completely clear of snow prior to last night had 21 cm of new snow, area that was partially sheltered and clear had 18 cm's.

I intend to measure one of our fields that has no animals on it and see what that's like as it could have a significant amount on there now from the past few days.

Where abouts are you, Cowdog? You sound like you could be out my way: between Embsay and Burnsall.

Posted

Actually stopped snowing

Radar is correct

Temp still dropping 0.03oC

Starting to freeze over now

Going be bad in the morning!!!!

Posted

Temperatures in and around Leeds starting to drop. Looks like it might be a touch slippy in the morning.

Unless you have Yaxtrax snow shoes*

*other brands of snow grips are available.

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

that ppn south east isn't an error as it is now moving inland slightly!

I think peeps were referring to the large PPN seen on the Europe radar. That is an error. That on the SE is real yeah.

Posted

The snow has stopped here and the temperature has dropped to 0.8C- the lowest it got to overnight. Not sure why the temperature mostly held up at or above 1C here when the snow fell (and the same happened at Topcliffe and Leeming according to Weather Underground), despite reports of falls to near freezing elsewhere in the region- perhaps the warming effects of the North Sea penetrated a fair way inland?

Usually the temp drops in snow, especially the heavier bursts, but even though there's a few flakes in the wind, as soon as the main band cleared here the temp has dropped. Has mostly been around 0.2/0.3 all day, now -0.6. Having said that, the wind has dropped as well, which may have been the moderating factor.

I would hope that by the time we (hopefully) get the next lot that the sea temps will have fallen somewhat to make it less marginal.