Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 21/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Just measured 16cm level snow in my front garden. cool.png

Posted

amazing day today.sheltered areas have only 5-10cms but more commonly 10-15cms over cars etc... and over on the parks in exposed areas (low lying level surfaces) 15-20cms.

Best snow event in my lifetime. Brilliant day with 19hours of snowfall (for the second time in a week!!!). Very Very memorable.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Just measured 16cm level snow in my front garden. cool.png

I was quite impressed by the snow last tonight. Quite often (perhaps as a result of hype on here) we are told there will heavy significant snow which then only yields something rubbish like Friday however last night (i was up all night) we actually saw several hours of heavy snow to the point that it covered roads and by 6am there were traffic issues in the city center.

I saw an Asda van give up and several cars skidding on approach to the traffic lights around New Briggate.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted

Photos of the Snow around my house and garden

Measured level 10cm of snow which is more than i expected! so win win for my expectations!

Proof!!!

post-1104-0-97215000-1358784511_thumb.jp post-1104-0-83074500-1358784519_thumb.jp

post-1104-0-78434500-1358784525_thumb.jp post-1104-0-67865900-1358784531_thumb.jp

post-1104-0-54130000-1358784536_thumb.jp post-1104-0-41872300-1358784541_thumb.jp

post-1104-0-62245400-1358784545_thumb.jp post-1104-0-65329200-1358784550_thumb.jp

post-1104-0-51214800-1358784515_thumb.jp

Edited by Craigers

Posted

Think GFS may be slightly overdoing these temps..

13012212_2112.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

The forecast for tonight for our region looks a tad optimistic snow wise given that the majority of the snow has already moved away to the north;

Headline: Snow and Ice. Bitterly cold in strong winds.

This Evening and Tonight: Snow continuing, some heavy, giving further significant accumulations, especially away from coasts. Strong southeasterly winds causing drifting, very poor visibility and making it bitterly cold in a severe frost. Snow perhaps lighter and more sporadic in the south later. Icy. Minimum Temperature -6 °C.

Tuesday: Snow, with sleet along the coast, gradually becoming lighter and more sporadic, the winds easing but staying very cold with temperatures below freezing away from the coast. Maximum Temperature 1 °C.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday: Occasional light snow inland, with rain or sleet near the coast, especially on Wednesday. Some bright intervals developing. Very cold, sharp frosts, widespread ice and perhaps freezing fog patches overnight.

Issued at: 1600 on Mon 21 Jan 2013

Posted

BIG snowfall event on Friday by GFS. Another 10-15cm would make this an epic spell of weather, even once the milder 850s push in the surface cold doesn't mix out leaving temperatures at or below freezing.

Posted

BIG snowfall event on Friday by GFS. Another 10-15cm would make this an epic spell of weather, even once the milder 850s push in the surface cold doesn't mix out leaving temperatures at or below freezing.

Shows it turning to rain, though, which I'd rather do without.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

-0.5°C here now and freezing with a DP of -1.5°C. Snow stopped a couple of hours ago or so and I have cleared my drive again. Total snow depth is not that impressive at 8cm but 3cm fell today: I have been out and measured it. We did have 10cm last week, so estimate that at least 5cm has thawed yesterday and overnight. This is an underestimate as more snow has fallen on and off during the day and night, so the real depth that has thawed I would estimate as in excess of 10cm, more like 15cm.

How do I come to these figures? I have just cleared 3cm off my drive, which I cleared this morning when there was 3cm there, yet, when measuring new snow it seems to be only 3cm. I also cleared a couple of cms away a few nights ago that fell on top of the original 10cm that we had.

I am waffling now but, I guess what I am saying, is we still have 8cm of snow but we have already lost more than that all told. Not bad eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had a fantastic day snowboarding, igloo building and snowball fighting in meersbrook park.. hope we do get some more :)

Posted

got about 2/3cm here cray.giftease.gif

How? where you from in doncaster? i got 10cm and i live in sprotbrough

Posted

Looks like you guys further west did very well last night/today, and to think you all were worrying if the front would not reach you lol. We had a good few inches here this morning and with a high of 0.5 hardly any has melted, currently just below freezing (first time since Friday). Hope to have some more snow this week.

Posted

We want more what a awesome snowfall :-D

Edited by Love Snow

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Water content 7.7mm close enough to 8mm extra on top. Beginning to freeze now where on Friday/Saturday the snow didn't freeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and North Easterley flows, Early spring convection snow showers

few snaps taken at work today near Doncaster/Maltby way temps not been above freezing all day for me

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/album/1250-daneshill-lakes-near-doncaster/

Posted

His elevation is 4m above sea level, yours is significantly higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Just had an epic 2 hours sledding in scunny

Loving it and in the park there has been a good 8-10 cm if not more :)

Just need a total turn round in the prediction on the latest runs and see this mild completely fail

Posted

Still some decent wintry showers around here with snow in the heavier bursts thanks to evaporative cooling. Temp dropping to 0.2C in the showers but climbing up to 1.0C in the lighter stuff. Some giving a dusting before slowly thawing again.

A heavier line of showers pushing in tonight according to met radar and forecast. If they're heavy enough we may get a decent covering.

Posted

Just had an epic 2 hours sledding in scunny

Loving it and in the park there has been a good 8-10 cm if not more smile.png

Just need a total turn round in the prediction on the latest runs and see this mild completely fail

I went out for a long walk in the snow earlier and i went through central park and it was great.No thaw whatsoever today and a bitterly cold night tonight if the clouds break up,although even with a blanket of cloud the temp is still below freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow snow !!!!

Fingers crossed for a bit more snow tonight according 7 day local forecast for sheffield which was updated at 4:45 says we are going to get some more from 6pm :)

Posted

Fingers crossed for a bit more snow tonight according 7 day local forecast for sheffield which was updated at 4:45 says we are going to get some more from 6pm smile.png

Your best bet would be to look at the radar www.raintoday.co.uk. This is far more useful in this kind of situation. The 7 day local forecasts are quite unrealiable to be honest. Good luck though and I hope you are right

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

Having just mentioned the radar I'd thought I'd take a look. Looks like a pretty good streamer setting up to affect coastal areas of North Yorkshire. Scarborough/Whitby should do well hopefuly.

Posted

dunscroft/hatfield area