Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincs Regional Discussion 21/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

It's like a ski resort. Gosh this time yesterday we were nervous! Whiteout whiteout whiteout :)

Posted

dunscroft/hatfield area

Ahh probably explains the modification from the Sea breezes and your low elevation

Posted

It's like a ski resort. Gosh this time yesterday we were nervous! Whiteout whiteout whiteout smile.png

Lol glad you are pleased Adam, I would've given you my snow if you didn't get any!

Posted

Having just mentioned the radar I'd thought I'd take a look. Looks like a pretty good streamer setting up to affect coastal areas of North Yorkshire. Scarborough/Whitby should do well hopefuly.

Iv'e been keeping an eye on that. Just need the temp to drop a bit!

currently 0.4C, DP 0.3C. Getting there!

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A measley 5cm here after around 10 hours of snow, half of which has melted, infact I think there was more snow before it started snowing. Drove home via the wolds, where there is 20cm plus with drifting and no thaw whatsoever. A different world to down here, and shows how much a difference elevation makes. Going to spend my days off this week up there snow skating/sledging!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

Not sure if the vid will work but a bit of fun at one of he many sledding areas around scunny.

;)

trim.cVw3Ny.MOV

Doesn't look to b working. :(

Edited by Lincstim

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

Patients is always the key Adam good.gif

Indeed, Doctors would be screwed without them biggrin.png

Posted

Is south Yorkshire expected to get anymore. We had quite a dumping during the night and this morning.

Other than a few light showers possible tomorrow I would say no, perhaps towards end of the week when the cold weather breaks.

Posted

Looks like you guys further west did very well last night/today, and to think you all were worrying if the front would not reach you lol. We had a good few inches here this morning and with a high of 0.5 hardly any has melted, currently just below freezing (first time since Friday). Hope to have some more snow this week.

You did very well to get a few inches of snow last night mate, as the forecast didn't look good at all for locations right next to the coast.It's bitterly cold out here now with lots of ice about, but still a lot of cloud,at least for now.

Posted

You did very well to get a few inches of snow last night mate, as the forecast didn't look good at all for locations right next to the coast.It's bitterly cold out here now with lots of ice about, but still a lot of cloud,at least for now.

Yeah, It really suprised me too to be honest. It started settling around 1am and left a good covering, nothing like Dec 2010 but much better than other coastal areas like Bridlington.

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.

-2.3C here, cant see any slightest sign of a thaw, the snows even stuck to the front door still. Setting off for work soon, going to walk the couple of mile trip and enjoy

the snow, then have some fun playing in it all night, no chance of any work being done when mother nature drops a huge dollop of white bliss from the sky..

The boss is going to be greeted by a huge snowman in his parking spot in the morning.

Hope everyones enjoyed their day and made the most of it, even though it had almost stopped at 12.30pm when i got in bed, i still jumped to the window when the alarm

went off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Yeah, It really suprised me too to be honest. It started settling around 1am and left a good covering, nothing like Dec 2010 but much better than other coastal areas like Bridlington.

Yeah same here in skeg esp as it started to rain i got that sinking feeling but didnt take long to change to snow the biggest surprise was looking out my window at 6am it said heavy rain on met app but saw a winter wonderland :)

Posted

At last! hit 0.0C now. Shame the precip has died off. A constant feed of light showers blowing in which are now all falling as snow. A nice covering on the roads and path again.

The Metoffices radar still showing a more organised band of precip forming out to see before pushing inland in the early hours. Not sure how far inland it could get though, that's if it forms at all!

A few more twists and turns to go i think. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold.

The missus and I went for a walk around Worrall, High Bradfield ways and across some of the peaks, easily a foot of snow in places, and in some of the valleys some of the drifts had hit 6ft+ was very beautiful and highlighted the reason I love snowy downpours.

I'm happy we had this this year though, last year was a bit of a let down. Here is to many more years of good snowfall.

Posted

Arrived home from work and actually got a suprise. After last nights sleet and thaw-fest today's snow has actually taken us back to a level depth of around 6cm. The temperature is much better at 0.3C now, so at least it wont thaw much overnight.

Im still not a fan of 'milder' easterlies, as the marginal word always seems to appear and temperatures rarely seem to get below freezing here so close to the coast, but it has been another pretty good event nonetheless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's been a light snow flurry at Sandhutton which, following a temperature drop to 0.0C, has coated all surfaces in a light dusting- shame it couldn't drop below 0.8C when the main band was overhead as I could easily have been looking at 14+ centimetres rather than the 3-4cm that I currently have.

Posted

It hasn't actually stopped snowing here at all as there's persistent very light snow but is leaving a dusting on all surfaces. That's 24 hours now.

Posted

There's been a light snow flurry at Sandhutton which, following a temperature drop to 0.0C, has coated all surfaces in a light dusting- shame it couldn't drop below 0.8C when the main band was overhead as I could easily have been looking at 14+ centimetres rather than the 3-4cm that I currently have.

0.8C was the exact same minimum during the main band here aswell. Im quite suprised your area experienced it though, I guess it wasnt just to do with warming from the North Sea as theres plenty of higher ground between it and your location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm struggling to think of a plausible explanation why the temperature stayed a degree above freezing here until after the front cleared- this area is indeed a fair way inland, and it's also pretty rural. The hourly readings on Weather Underground from RAF Topcliffe and Leeming also closely match my own, staying a degree above freezing until after the front cleared.

I remember seeing strange quirks in other marginal snow events in other areas of the country before- maybe this area just got unlucky this time around.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some pictures of the snow while walking the mutt early'er on.

post-12319-0-65644200-1358795424_thumb.jpg post-12319-0-79047100-1358795474_thumb.jpg post-12319-0-08892400-1358795514_thumb.jpg post-12319-0-94681000-1358795532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Seems to be another band of snow/sleet/rain moving into the se and heading nw. Wasn't mentioned on the evening forecast I wonder how far that will get?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Seems to be another band of snow/sleet/rain moving into the se and heading nw. Wasn't mentioned on the evening forecast I wonder how far that will get?

Yes I have just noticed that, but I think its moving North / North East though so not for us I don't think.