Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 21st January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted

Anyone with a radar tell us if the snow is coming back east from the Irish Sea?

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Totally agree. Have played back net/w radar images a few times and it seems echoes just are appearing - certainly not coming from a s/e track like earlier this morning. This is v interesting watching and a definition of nowcasting!!

Yes seems to be slowing backing up and intensifying near Ireland echoes are stronger for ppn - interesting!

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

not for us but its building faintly near sheffield

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

Free Radar!

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=radarv6;sess=2a5ca11de47001e53a2cad04923dc7ce

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

Temp dropped from 1.7 to 1.3 in half an hour! Light Snow falling again but the snow from this morning pretty much went to slush.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Been non stop snow here since last night, still snowing nowa, getting heavier again, such a shame the temps have risen as this amount of snow thats been coming down all night and oractically not stopped we would have been under tons of snow, just our luck really isnt it that its thawing out abit, dont get me wrong everywheres covered, but the road is now a slushy mess!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Have to be honest - can't see the system tracking back towards us unless there's a change in movement in the next couple of hours. I'm just going off what I can see on the radar, but maybe I've not given it enough time yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Heavy snow again! When do temps start to fall? Although saying that its been almost 3 degrees here for the past 4 days lol even at night

Posted

Temp is now 1.6c, skies maybe darker but there is now zilch falling from them. Also the heavy snow symbol on the MetO site for here has been downgraded to light snow. I think that will be pushing it really. Another damp squib for these parts.

Marks out of ten for winter so far, I would say 4.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

Have to be honest - can't see the system tracking back towards us unless there's a change in movement in the next couple of hours. I'm just going off what I can see on the radar, but maybe I've not given it enough time yet.

Meto update seems to agree now saying light snow for this afternoon ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Snow cover getting less and less by each passing minute! Still snowing but nowhere near enough to replenish anything. 1.9c.

Posted

From Met Office, via wife:

"Some concern now that the area of snow across the west of the region is withdrawing northwards somewhat slower than expected and is pepping up in places, especially across southwest Cumbria and parts of Lancashire.

Hence the current Yellow warning for snow will be extended right across the region to the west coast across both Lancashire and Cumbria. The whole area will continue to move away to the north but over Cumbria in particular, there are likely to be a few cm of snow cover this afternoon away from the main Pennine risk area. Further localised disruption to travel is possible over the next 3 to 6 hours. Thereafter ice will start to take over as the main hazard, especially given that snow has fallen fairly widely across the region, in some places falling on top of what had previously lay after Friday’s event"

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

Example of NWx paid radar - 5 minute updates, NMM overlays, 2 hour Hi-res playback, archived back a long way further etc. etc. (please note I'm not receiving any consideration for this plug from NetW, I just think it's a great tool to "see for yourself" exactly what's happening in the here and now with this type of setup! wink.png )

Current shot shows today's setup perfectly with the help of the overlays. A low centred over mid wales is dragging warm air up over the cold air to the north on its NE flank. An occluded front (The warm air is floating over the cold air and does not touch the ground) is running roughly through the Scotish borders east to west. As more warm air is pushed into this system it rises over the cold air, the warm air cools with altitude and pressure drop, its moisture condenses out and immediately freezes falling as snow. I suspect this feature is so weak now that the warm and cold air is almost mixed out giving the slight thaw currently being witnessed in some places. The track of this low (where it goes next) will dictate the weather for the next few hours. Latest 06Z GFS has it heading towards the NNW and merging with the larger LP system out to the west of Ireland that is trying to slide towards the SSE.

post-7977-0-65522000-1358773695_thumb.jp

Edited by wysiwyg

Posted

Awful forecasting by the Met Office . No warnings on tv last night , dispite the fact you could see it tracking towards us on the radar. This morning and just now on BBC still shows west cumbria dry even though its been snowing since around 4am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Its really bad up here now. 5 inches in the sheltered areas close to the house further out in the garden and beyond in open more like 6-7 inches and that's is everywhere including the roads. 1ft drifting and no doubt higher else where. What a good do.

I won't be walking for an hour in that later to get to work! (oh and its still snowing moderately but fine in nature)

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Wonderful photos Ramp! Got massive flakes here now. Still on the wet side though while drips going on.

Posted

Awful forecasting by the Met Office . No warnings on tv last night , dispite the fact you could see it tracking towards us on the radar. This morning and just now on BBC still shows west cumbria dry even though its been snowing since around 4am.

I don't go in for the Met Office bashing most of the time but I have to agree here. The TV forecasts today, not showing the snow in the 'nowcast' bit even when it was actually falling, and still not forecasting it, showing it staying comfortably on the eastern side of the pennines hours after radars had shown it moving to the west has been desperately poor. They've got so wound up with the threat of blizzards to the east nobody bothered to check where it was actually going. Its fair enough to forecast it wrong initially, but to continue issuing false forcasts looks silly.

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

Its really bad up here now. 5 inches in the sheltered areas close to the house further out in the garden and beyond in open more like 6-7 inches and that's is everywhere including the roads. 1ft drifting and no doubt higher else where. What a good do.

I won't be walking for an hour in that later to get to work! (oh and its still snowing moderately but fine in nature)

Is the snow heavy ATM, in Chadderton is been moderate.

Posted

I don't go in for the Met Office bashing most of the time but I have to agree here. The TV forecasts today, not showing the snow in the 'nowcast' bit even when it was actually falling, and still not forecasting it, showing it staying comfortably on the eastern side of the pennines hours after radars had shown it moving to the west has been desperately poor. They've got so wound up with the threat of blizzards to the east nobody bothered to check where it was actually going. Its fair enough to forecast it wrong initially, but to continue issuing false forcasts looks silly.