Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted

Currently dry, 3 c and a fresh to strong S windwhich has melted/dried up most of the 2 inches of snow we had but ground still frozen hard.

Looking at my local forecast on here although it gets a bit less cold in the next week if skies clear at night and the wind drops out there is the potential for a ground frost most nights and the deep frost already in the ground will only encourage it. Also most of the snow cover on the higher hills round about should remain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

The band of rain and snow has moved across the country more quickly than we were expecting yesterday. However, having just spoken to the forecaster at Aberdeen, who is keeping up to date with the latest observations, he is happy with the warnings and that the weather is generally happening as forecast. It's worth noting that some of the lighter snow (the dark blue on the radar) is evaporating before it reaches the ground. The general message remains that we expecting some widespread snow over inland Scotland, and this is likely to be heaviest over high ground.

Western coastal sites and islands are reporting rainfall, while the observing site at Bishopton in Renfrewshire is reporting heavy snow with poor visibility. There are also traffic reports of heavy snow in Argyll, and these are also starting to come in from other parts of the country.

Rain or sleet will continue to affect low lying coastal areas around Scotland, with parts of the far west seeing some heavy rain during much of today. The rain is quickly turning to snow as it moves inland during this morning and afternoon. The rain and snow will be heavy at times, and while it will persist in many areas throughout much of Friday, there will be some interludes where it becomes light and patchy. Current expectations are still for snow accumulations in the region of 2-5cm at low levels (including the Central Belt, although some parts could see some shelter from the heaviest snow), around 10cm above 300m and perhaps 20cm above 500m. In addition to the rain and snow, strong south to southeasterly winds will affect coastal areas and high ground, perhaps touching gale force at times. These are likely to cause drifting on high level ground, and the combination of snow and strong winds has the potential to cause impacts on power supplies and telecomms, with the higher ground to the north and south of the Central Belt particularly at risk.

As we head through the evening, the snow will gradually turn to rain from the west as milder air starts spread in. The rain and snow is expected to clear eastwards into the North Sea by midnight, to leave a drier interlude. However, an area of rain will arrive in the Skye & Lochaber area during the early hours, and this will spread southeastwards to give some heavy rain for a time over Argyll, before clearing from central and southern areas by lunchtime.

A Yellow (Be Aware) Alert of Snow for most of Scotland is currently in place for all of Friday, and this indicates a low likelihood of medium impacts. An Amber Warning for Snow has also been issued for many parts of Scotland for much of Friday and the early hours of Saturday morning. The detail and timings of these warning will be reviewed this morning. It's also with noting that this Amber Warning extends into Northern England and the Midlands, so there is also the potential for impact on some cross border road, rail and air links.

After the clearance on Saturday, we are looking at milder conditions persisting across the country, and this will alleviate the threat of any more persistent snow for a time. However, another front arriving later on Saturday looks to bring some heavy rain to most parts, with snow on the mountains. The hill snow will turn to rain for a time, except on higher northern hills, and the rain will be accompanied by strong to gale south to southeasterly winds on exposed coasts and hills. Current expectations are that this will lead to a thaw of lying snow in many places, and that there may be some river response from this. A Yellow Alert of Rain has been issued for Sunday, covering all mainland areas apart from Grampian and Highland.

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Raining here now

Not surprising. A setup that rarely (never) delivers anything here. Only surprising thing is the Met even bothering to put us in the yellow category :-)

Posted

Just wet sleety stuff in Bo'ness and Linlithgow. My sons taxi driver said there was a fair bit in Grangemouth. Grangemouth!!!! I'm further up the hill.

Snow cursed I tell you, cursed. LOL, thankfully I didn't get my hopes up this time or even mention it to the kids.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

So there is a gap between fronts? The first just sort of fading out now and then another to follow and hit the west coast in a bit? Does anyone know the timings? Or when the 2nd band will hit?

Just wondering/musing. So, in the lull temps will warm up? So, maybe a melt? Then surface water and we may struggle to get snow to settle later?

Soooo many questions - anyone have any answers? help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Yeah, gonna be an unpleasant cold rainy day here in Embra

Snow event, what snow event?? Raining with temp 3c in Edinburgh!!

Just checking some of the trafficscotland cameras after Carol on BBC Breakfast was on about snowgates being closed at Tyndrum. Doesn't look very bad, but something more interesting - always wondered where those snowmen on the TV advert lived -

post-2779-0-13391800-1359106666_thumb.jp

Happy Burns Night to you all!

Posted

Steady snow @ -1.1C. Moffat Academy .... open as usual.

The Met Office forecast for the rest of the day is proper eye candy. Fingers crossed ...

2m2v2ft.jpg

Shame it's abut to end but If the snow stays on all or most of the day, it will be a good finish to a 1/2 decent wintry spell with several refreshes and snow lying in Moffat since 13th January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

First proper snowfall of the winter here. Has been coming straight down in tiny flakes since 7am. Pity it is the breakdown. Temps and dews are pretty static at the moment at 0.6/-0.4c. Will enjoy every moment until it turns, as this may be the last we will see for a while.

Posted

Steady snow @ -1.1C. Moffat Academy .... open as usual.

The Met Office forecast for the rest of the day is proper eye candy. Fingers crossed ...

2m2v2ft.jpg

Shame it's abut to end but If the snow stays on all or most of the day, it will be a good finish to a 1/2 decent wintry spell with several refreshes and snow lying in Moffat since 13th January.

Aye but so wrong for my area.

post-2849-0-74103100-1359107844_thumb.jp

Posted

Been snowing since about half 5 this morning had a lull but just starting again quite dark too

Posted

Just checking some of the trafficscotland cameras after Carol on BBC Breakfast was on about snowgates being closed at Tyndrum. Doesn't look very bad, but something more interesting - always wondered where those snowmen on the TV advert lived -

The snow gates on the A82 are a bit higher up on the hill above Tyndrum to the north. I suspect the closure would've been more to do with drifting on exposed stretches to the north across Rannoch Moor, rather than the snow in Tyndrum itself.

Not much to write home about in the urban parts of Lanarkshire so far, a smattering of patchy snow cover, increasing with altitude. On the lowest ground, sleet only, which seems to be increasingly the forecast as the day progresses.

Posted

Nae happy here. 4.5 C and dry . Question - Can anybody tell me why it is dry here but the rainfall radar shows rain/snow right over the whole moray firth?

Posted

Was quite surprised when I woke up there. Seems to be an upgrade in terms of how heavy the snow will be (16mm starting from around midday apparently = 16cm loosely speaking) and also that the whole event is to remain as snow, almost up until midnight before turning to sleet. I remain sceptical and I will eat my own shoe laces if we get 6 inches or more. Good luck all!

Posted

Just having a wee lull in the snowfall, it's been on since 8am.

Posted

Well... this is slightly surprising... finally a decent fall here... (not so much in the town though!), and the College have decided that 'as it's supposed to get heavier later', that it will close at 12! - To be honest I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm not complaining!!

Tim

Posted

Nae happy here. 4.5 C and dry . Question - Can anybody tell me why it is dry here but the rainfall radar shows rain/snow right over the whole moray firth?

Sorry Colsuth, I cannae understand it either.

I'm just a bit along the coast from ye (near Banff) and it's been constant here since I woke up at the back o 6 this mornin.