Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 21st January 2103, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We got another 3" during the night according to the husband, we have deep snow yahoo.gif Good 4ft+ drift at back door and neighbours all out again now clearing the road. Last night was pretty hellish out - winds really picked up and snow coming from all directions, the cars coming down the A7 were crawling. Our power went off and on 12 times (husband counts things like this cos he's a virgo and mad) sp I went offline before the router had a meltdown. Snow just come on again and I notice the neighbours are all in a huddle gssipping and leaning on their shovels getting wet. :)

Posted

Hopefully not here !! We have and are still taking a pasting. Now over 24 hours of snow and really don't need anymore thank you very much !!

M...

You cannae TOORP due to too much snow, that's just not in the rules! blum.gif

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Much the same as yesterday here. On and off rain and sleet.

Posted

Heavy snow here now. Settling nicely. If everything that's fallen here in the last day or so had settled we'd have a pretty largd total

Posted

The good news is that the traffic cameras south of the central belt look very impressive. It's even snowing in Ayrshire.

Yes, a good thick covering this morning. More snow lying this morning than yesterday morning. Hopefully more to come before the breakdown at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Light but steady snow in Leith FWIW.

Overnight grey slush cover vastly reduced in extent. From an IMBY perspective will be glad when all this gloop moves on and we can get a couple of decent dry cold days again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Big proper flakes settling at last, as 101_North says! Just when I'd given up hope... :D Never say die, eh?

Off out to walk in it - mebbe my last chance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Need tae clear cars oot again.

Starting to hope that band heads f3ckin north quick. Getting cabin fever.crazy.gif

post-9421-0-90354500-1358843279_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Another 8.1mm of rain since Midnight making a total of 23.1mm since 07.00 yesterday - that could have been amazing snow (probably what places like Braco/Newtyle/Wolfhill are reporting).

Temp. Min. +1.1C at 00.00. Now +1.5C/+0.6C.

The ground surface is 1cm of slush and very unpleasant to walk or drive on.

Posted

You cannae TOORP due to too much snow, that's just not in the rules! blum.gif

Ah yes I forgot the rules, please accept my humble apologies. Bring it on, give me more, much more, I just can't get enough of the stuff yahoo.gif Oh and it's still snowing and kids are off to school.

M...

Posted

Nope, not a thing here.

Someone in this area has angered the snow gods...

Posted

After a day of constant light graupel yesterday the weather Gods have decided to smile on my little bit of the Banffshire coast this morning. Positively dinging it down with big flakes, everything white and can't see the sea even though it's just outside my front window! Looks as though it's set for the day now, will try and get some photos when/if visibility gets better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

We've now had over 24 hours of non-stop snow and this is the result:

post-736-0-43205100-1358844423_thumb.jpg

Not as much as Braco but a decent amount has fallen and lain. Bizarrely, it appears that we've added only a little since late last night as it's falling and thawing at the same time, but nonetheless it all looks grand and winter wonderlandy.

Currently T0.9ºC/DP1ºC.

More to follow? We shall see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

SS is it heading here?!

Still over us/heading towards us, but if it shifts further north we might miss the worst; just smaller bands and showers behind it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

As BM says i find that this whilst frustrating it is also memorable for having so much snow and it being so wet and cover so minimal....oh for being 1c cooler

can we get a 3 or 4 inch dry snow event before winter closes..lets hope so and in the meantime looking for frost to freeze the wet snow to maintain sledgeability of the hill

and still it ninja snows outside 24 hrs on lol

Posted

Good morning all. Another Snow Day for the kids off school. We've had about another 2 inches overnight and it's still snowing. I'll get out later with my measuring tape but I'd say it's about 11inches. Glad to hear some people who thought they'd have no snow got some and fingers crossed for the rest of you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Still falling here Catch, hasn't stopped since 8am, and I'm just west of Soutra

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Snow has continued to fall across parts of the country overnight, with the Scottish Borders, Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire areas in particular, having seen some further accumulations of snow. The snow has also been drifting on high ground in the strong to gale force east to southeasterly winds.

By 0700 today, our observations showed some significant snow accumulations on high ground across differing parts of Scotland;

Redesdale Camp (on the A68 in Northumberland, around 10miles south of Carter Bar) 27cm

Aboyne 19cm

Eskdalemuir (east of the M74 in D&G) 17cm

Aviemore 16cm

Drumalbin (South Lanarkshire) 13cm.

The RADAR is currently (at 0830) showing that the snow is continuing across much of eastern Scotland, with heaviest snow across Aberdeenshire, Moray, Angus and Perthshire. There is also some snow extending westwards across the north of the Central Belt, and some snow affecting parts of the Highlands and the Western Isles.

During this morning, the snow will persist, mainly across eastern Scotland (the Scottish Borders, Fife, Perthshire, Angus & Aberdeenshire), and here there is the potential for some further snow accumulations. Winds will continue to die down through the morning across the country, with less risk of any drifting of the snow on exposed, high ground. As we move through the afternoon, the risk of more snow continues across Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire, but it will be an improving picture across the Borders as the heavier snow starts to clear. This clearance will extend northwards during the late afternoon and evening, although the risk of further snow will persist across all parts of eastern Scotland through to Wednesday evening. Ice will become an increasing risk over the next few nights, especially in areas where skies clear.

Edited by edodfc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Enjoy next week's mild blip. Matt Hugo's just tweeted this:

â€@MattHugo81

Subtle signs of a change within the ECM ensembles beyond 4th/5th with the Atlantic flow being disrupted by higher pressure.

26 out of the 51 ensemble members signal a more anticyclonic influence by the 6th of Feb, with a far 'quieter' Atlantic.

If this were twitter, I'd now think of a suitable hashtag like #headingbackintaethefreezer but as it is, I'll restrain myself to a brief WOOHOO!!! and a comedy snawman.

post-736-0-67692100-1358846294_thumb.jpg

Posted

Well... that sucks :) Again pretty much nothing here unless you like drowning in slush!!

Nice to hear that some are enjoying what they have got, but I'm with Edo... I don't think one decent fall is too much to ask.... is it??

Tim

Trip out cancelled as road is passable only to tractors. Not risking it even in Mrs Catch's wee 4x4 with winter tyres. Thanks for the update SS and Mardatha. Still snowing but for how long? Got some amazing pics for once I have broadband. Will try and get out tomorrow and find some wi-fi.