Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 22nd 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I'm now getting rain for Norwich tomorrow. Typical! I bet Ippy'll get tons. :(

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I'm wondering whether we'll get anything interesting from the changing weather - i.e. a winter storm? There must be a reasonable chance in the next couple of weeks.

There's an interesting post in the model forum, from TEITS, re the cold spell of mid February 1979 - the model thread being much less fractious than it was 24 to 36 hours ago now.

I too remember that spell well. We had constant heavy snow showers driven in by a very strong easterly wind on the Wednesday. Thursday and Friday my primary school was shut, as the village was cut off. So much for the myth that schools never shut back in the day!

I'd also say that we've not had snowdrifts in my area, like those that happened then, since. Even 1987, which arguably (and it's a close call) had more snow, did not produce the same level of drifting here. All good memories! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

(it is still morning isn't it unknw.gif )

Very chilly here with plenty of snow on the ground,......Temperature 0.8 °C Dew Point -1.6 °C

and my weather station has 6 snowflake symbols on the dial....good.gif

Posted

I'm now getting rain for Norwich tomorrow. Typical! I bet Ippy'll get tons. sad.png

I wouldn't worry too much about the event anyway, as it's transitory. I know people have different likes, but I can't get any enthusiasm for the potential tonight and I'm already looking beyond it. Even if we had a reasonable snowfall, with a very small back edge of rain, it would all be a slushy mess by midday tomorrow.

I think (and it's only my hunch) that we'll get more cold from about 7th to 10th February, after the disturbed period coming up.

Posted

It's on it's way, welsh reports say its just started in east Wales, and they were expecting rain...think it's fragmenting a bit as it moves east, it's 50/50 if we get lots, as these west to east events do produce less than the west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Temperature racing up here, from -5.1 at 8am to +0.7 now according to Peterborough weather watch. doesn't bode well for later.

I think a post on the model thread showed the NMM and it shows just sleet to rain.

I still have a gut feeling though that winter is not over just yet.

Posted

Here we go, Sat Rep analysis of the front movement today:

LOC_20130125_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

maybe i am looking at it wrong.but seeing the radar atm...............is that it???????or is more expected behind it.

Posted

I think I'm going mad... I keep seeing 'Saturday' on my NMM posting where I'd expect to see 'Friday'... blink.png

Edited by Steve C

Posted

maybe i am looking at it wrong.but seeing the radar atm...............is that it???????or is more expected behind it.

Just looked and thought the same ???

Posted

I think the stuff over Wales isn't relevant. It's the stuff south of Ireland currently that should be looked at. I've just looked at an animation of the NMM model to verify this.

Posted

Just looked and thought the same ???

very thin band and no intensity atall.if it did snow be about half hour lol.all the thicker part is going north.east will be left with the dreggs again lol.

I think the stuff over Wales isn't relevant. It's the stuff south of Ireland currently that should be looked at. I've just looked at an animation of the NMM model to verify this.

yes i have been looking that stuff,just seems it will go north before it gets here,will see.

Posted

You can see the movement here:

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

Posted

hubby juts text snowing in southend atm?

Posted

You can see the movement here:

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb

has more off an easterly movement on that one,on nw its really going north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

its gonna be rejuvinated by a push from the west....

Just to add regarding the nmm, i dunno whats happened to it this cold spell, in the past i've seen it be more accurate than the nae but its got it so badly wrong for the snow events this cold spell....i think they need to ctrl+alt+del it or something! I guess i'm only really talking from a imby point of view, maybe it's done better for other locations.

EDIT: yellow warning extended a tad further south...let's see how far south the amber comes wen updated

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted

getting frustrated with met o forcasts.if you go to my hourly sections i have an amber warning of snow and just a cloud all day ,to

day.whats the point in that?how the public work that out i dont know?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Warning of Snow for East of England :

Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Central Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Luton, Norfolk, Peterborough, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Thurrock

Valid from: 1100 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0200 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Further snowfall will spread from the west, as another weather front moves eastwards across the UK. Snow will reach parts of Scotland during Friday morning, and eastern parts of England during the late evening, likely to clear these eastern areas by the early hours of Saturday. 4 to 8 cm is likely quite widely within the amber warning area, with a low risk of more than 10 cm locally even on lower ground. Further north, accumulations of 10 to 20 cm may occur in some upland areas. Strong winds will also lead to drifting and blizzard-like conditions, particularly over higher level roads in the north.

The public should be prepared for likely disruption, particularly to travel.

Issued at: 1233 on Thu 24 Jan 2013

Yellow Warning of Snow for London & South East England :

Bracknell Forest, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Oxfordshire, Reading, Slough, Surrey, West Berkshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham & Hampshire

Valid from: 0900 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

Valid to: 0400 on Sat 26 Jan 2013

Further snowfall will spread from the west, as another weather front moves across the UK from the Atlantic. Snow will largely affect Scotland during the afternoon, before spreading to many northern, central and eastern parts of England during the evening, likely to clear from southeast England and East Anglia during the early hours of Saturday.

2-4 cm is likely in the south of the yellow warning area, with 4 to 8 cm over some hillier areas. Further north, 4 to 8 cm is more likely with over 10 cm over hills. Strong winds will also lead to drifting, particularly over higher level roads in the north.

This warning is an update, which pulls the boundaries of the warning area further west into Wales and further south into southern England.

Issued at: 1151 on Fri 25 Jan 2013

http://www.metoffice...Time=1359028860

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

So far all the warnings have been for yellow and no amber so i wonder if they are removing them due to the latest output

Jonh Hammond said at 11.57 that amber warning is being extended south and east. They are certainly taking their time tho!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Its damn shame this event Will end up on the warm side later. I see the confusion has already started, Can't beat transitional's they are always a pain to deal with.

From the email warnings I have received it appears the yellow boundry has been made larger, however they now seem to have removed the amber warnings from the whole country.

Web site still showing warnings from yesterday so rather confused.com

Oh I see the warning MKSA has posted appears at the bottom of the list so yesterdays have not been taken of the map yet

Edited by chris mantle