Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Three Counties & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 22nd 2013 14:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

Thank you guys. I think I am going to bed lol.

Kx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Rain here and melt

Tweet

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather

"@WeatherNick: Rain getting heavier in Bucks. I expect a move towards snow to be made soon." Ditto #Hertfordshire

Seems Fergie's expecting rain to turn to snow.....not the way round I expected it to be!

Jason T

• av-11193.jpg?_r=0

Posted Yesterday, 22:59

snapback.pngSnowJoke, on 25 January 2013 - 22:42 , said:

Raining in the center of MK also, everything to the west seems to be rain as well. Unless you have height or evaperotive cooling takes place it appears it may be a bust for snow tonight. Temp here is 1'c and a dew point of 0.4'c appears to be rising too help.gifTransitional.... It will change. The warm front kicks in,Hmmmm as it drags and stalls to a point (cool down) will take affect..Any precip falling now will freeze as the ground temp is below 0c. As the front moves in a higher reached cold block,cool down affect will increase,All will fall into place untill the milder air overwhelms.

Enjoy.

Edited by Jason T, Yesterday, 23:01.

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

With Ian Fergusson......

Temperature's will not rise anymore tonight across EA & the SE until the front clears east tomorrow morning.

Once the heavy precipitation enters our region expect evaporative cooling and some HEAVY snow...... from 00:00 onwards.

I disagree with TEITS. Essex & Suffolk will see initial rain & sleet, then 3/4 hours of HEAVY snow dumping several inches in it's wake. Our region is still pulling in cold air from France....... cold enough to mix out the mild....ish air over the coming hour or so.

I expect the south coast to see rain though, with winds coming immediately off the Channel. Unlike N.France where it is HEAVY snow currently.

NH

Well said mate, my thoughts also. Big faith in north essex here.

Posted

Would be interested to hear if 'The Eye' agrees with Ian Ferguson's Twitter comment?

No disagree.

As soon as this band arrived temps, dewpoints began to rise as you would expect. This is becoming a classic marginal snow event where intensity of precipitation dictates whether you see rain, sleet or snow. So locations that start off with rain are unlikely to see this turn to snow with the only exception being if the precip intensifies to drop the temp. So you might have heavy rain followed by 10mins of snow but as soon as this becomes lighter it will turn to rain, sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers, Cold Winters.

Interesting comments about rain to snow/snow to rain but as I reported earlier that it was raining in Nottingham, it is now pouring with..... heavy snow!

Think I'm gonna go to bed and see what the morning brings.

Edit. Thanks Dave, that could explain the snow up there at the mo' then.

Edited by MarcB

Posted

Well said mate, my thoughts also. Big faith in north essex here.

When you have cold air ahead of a front with milder air following then normally its starts as snow and then turns to rain, sleet. What rarely happens is rain turns to a period of snow. This normally occurs the other way round when you have cold air digging in behind the front because this undercuts the milder air.

You can clearly see what im saying by your own eyes by simply reading reports from other regions.

If you live in Essex or Suffolk then I really wouldn't bother staying up. All you're likely to see is a short spell of snow (1hr tops) followed by rain and to be honest some of you won't even see that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Nothing here in Ippy yet except a very chilly wind. Boooooooooriiiiiiinnnnnggggggg!!! :D

I'm off to bed soon.

Posted

Interesting comments about rain to snow/snow to rain but as I reported earlier that it was raining in Nottingham, it is now pouring with..... heavy snow!

Think I'm gonna go to bed and see what the morning brings.

Edit. Thanks Dave, that could explain the snow up there at the mo' then.

That will be the intensity of the precip. Unfortunately for us at the moment the radar doesn't suggest anything nearly as heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Dry here, but the radar is light pink although the wind's got up and is bitter. No rain anyway, and I'd rather it stayed that way rather than wash the snow we've got away. I've got used to it, it's MY snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Rain here but oddly it's not melting the snow...Temp and DP have risen...

Temperature 2.0 °C Dew Point 1.0 °C

I guess we just need it to get heavier now and see if we can get some evaporative cooling but it's unlikely to settle on the roads etc now as everything is wet, the grit that was down will have washed away though so if temperatures drop now it could be lethal!

NOTE: Weather station symbols are back to snow but it's still raining !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

had some rain here but no longer looking out properly. Temps rose to 2 but seem to have dropped back to 1 according to the site I am checking.. Surely this is a good sign?

Posted

I have a gut feeling that here in Lowestoft we are going to see a mega snow event tonight. The temperature here is dropping steadily, the wind is picking up, and I can feel the snow deep down in my bones. But I could be wrong. I also thought that West Ham would win the Premier League this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Some great posts here tonight concerning marginal situations - great for learning. I think it's a fascinating event, maybe the cold air is not completely done yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Interesting. Steady rain here in LB. definitely doesn't want to snow here tonight..not that I'm particularly arsed now,had my fix of snow for the year.

I'm easily pleased though, grew up in Bournemouth where it snowed once in every 4/5 years!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Rain very sleety here still, and the wind is getting up, don't know the Temps as the St Ives Weather Station is down. Sure picks it's moments!