Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted

Noswaith dda/Evening

i hope your all getting lots of snow. we had two inches fresh here in east wales, and that followed an hour of torrential rain and some freezing rain initially. so have faith of its not snowing with you yet. :)

Snowyb

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

For some areas, this is a severe event and im very surprised a red warning has not been issued. https://twitter.com/...1879424/photo/1 The M6 currently, absolute chaos, this motorway is now closed. I wonder if this was in the south, a red warning would of been issued? I certainly think a red warning should of been issued at least considering they issued one for Wales last week.

I was thinking this early'er Brandy. Severe here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well what a dissapointment to the end the cold spell. See you all again on the next one, when ever that maybe. Good night

Posted

It seems fairly clear the boundary between rain, snow set itself across the east midlands... Further north than expected...

Still snowing here in Nottingham... Biggest flakes of the two weeks this evening... Just not been the persistent snow I was expecting.. Still reasonably happy to see one last batch before rain and mild winds move in

Posted

We shouldn't even need to look at the models. Whenever a massive huge band of precipitation is coming with the potential to dump a foot of snow we should know already that it's not going to work out for Leicester. That's how it's been for 10 years now and that's how it will remain to be.

Dire event, quite unbelievable given what we have had in London. Just chucking it down with rain here at my mums place in Oadby. Sorry for questioning you earlier Andy - you were absolutely right about the GFS. Apologies. (we did have all snow for a time earlier - about 25 minutes...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Still piling it down here- fantastic snow event for here a real good finale. Best snowfall I've actually been out & about in since I can remember!

Posted

Just been out for a measure, 17cm of fresh snow, and still snowing heavy.

Temp -0.4c

Dp -0.9c

Wind chill -2.6c South 10mph

Still piling it down here- fantastic snow event for here a real good finale. Best snowfall I've actually been out & about in since I can remember!

I thought you only likes hot sunny weather biggrin.png

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Yes we have a good covering now after the slight thaw/sleetiness from earlier in the evening. Keeping thinking it's raining because snowing that hard. This would have been chaos if happened during the day.

Posted

This his the weirdest end to any cold spell i have witnessed in my 50 years., Snow then Ice pellets then sleet then Rain now back to Snow again with flakes as big as 10p pieces and temp going up and down from +1 to + 0.1 then Up to +0.9c now down to +0.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I thought you only likes hot sunny weather biggrin.png

No I like snow - its just all the other naffness that winter mostly is I'm not so fond of. Snow is the odd few days out of a 90 day season!

Posted

Should have been a red this lots of people are going to be stuck on roads for the night!

Yeah I've been browsing a snow related thread on another non-weather related forum I use and the pictures being posted are truly incredible. A lot more snow than last friday. It seems to be relentless in certain areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Wow, what an amazing snow event this is turning out to be! View from bedroom window :)

post-12706-0-93760600-1359159926_thumb.j

Posted

Got proper snow again here settling. Quite odd because you'll have a patches of unthawed snow on the patio which has a fresh inch on it, and nothing on the wet area around that... On the grass were it never really thawed it looks nice and fresh. Down to 0.5C from a high of 1.6C when it was sleet a couple of hours ago.

Posted

Meanwhile in Leicester.......

Rain.

Obviously if our correspondants in Nottingham have had a good time tonight, and Leicester is in between I didn't expect much. We started off with good snow, then bad snow, then sleet, then back to snow. So I'm surprised its been all rain in Leicester?!?!

Posted

All Trent Barton bus services have been suspended in Notts and Derby.

Very surprised Leicester didn't get anything and Nottingham/Derby got it so bad. (Derby in particular) fine lines or what!

Posted

At least 15cm of fresh snow in Chesterfield, Started very lightly around 7pm and continued to get heavier untill around 12:30

Posted

Sleet, rain, and back to sleet here. What a truly crappy breakdown this has been. I honestly thought the cold had been entrenched for so long that we were practically guaranteed a snowy breakdown? How wrong I was.

This has been a beyond awful 'event' and having done so well up to now the Met Office and the BBC got it badly wrong for this area.

Edited by NorthantsSnow