Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 16z ----->

A.J

Posted

However, I do find it interesting to see what's going on in other parts of the region - especially if Im tracking a weather front moving across from one side to the other of the country, as Radar info doesnt always tally up with whats actually falling out of the sky.

If it annoys you to have posts from areas you're not interested in, you can set your 'settings' to ignore particular posters so that they dont show up in your thread.

Just a suggestion? smile.png

Its not about getting annoyed or ignoring people its just if I want to know whats happening in the West Midlands I could just nip into the thread, the same way i do if I want to find out what is going on to the North of us eg Yorkshire.

For me the East & West Midlands deserve their own threads, it was put to a Poll where people had the chance to vote, democracy in action & all that and a split was a clear winner. Why did admin bother running the Poll if they were going to ignore its result less than a couple of weeks later

Its not something im going to lose any sleep over LOL but like I say why bother having the Poll

Posted

Right, there is no problem in having a joint thread at the moment, it makes for a more interesting chat when nothing much is happening, im sure when we get more exciting weather it will be split again

Early next week looking interestimg but we will have to wait till the weekend to start to firm up on details

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Its not about getting annoyed or ignoring people its just if I want to know whats happening in the West Midlands I could just nip into the thread, the same way i do if I want to find out what is going on to the North of us eg Yorkshire.

For me the East & West Midlands deserve their own threads, it was put to a Poll where people had the chance to vote, democracy in action & all that and a split was a clear winner. Why did admin bother running the Poll if they were going to ignore its result less than a couple of weeks later

Its not something im going to lose any sleep over LOL but like I say why bother having the Poll

The idea of having seperate threads was used to cover periods where the regional threads were anticipated to be extremely busy, hence the poll to gauge member opinion before implementing it. So to say Admin has 'ignored' the results is rather disingenuous.

The two Midlands threads have been merged for the time being as the volume of member posts in the threads has dropped substantially in the past few days and thus doesn't warrant having two seperate threads. If the weather dictates the re-opening of the threads then they will re-open, no doubt

If you're not happy with this then please feel free to pm or email a member of the site team

Posted

Oh also keep an eye on friday, its a developing situation and the gfs is showing some snow accumilation for our reigon

The NAE now showing snow for Friday but GFS now backed off the idea :lol:

I suspect the southward adjustments will continue now.

Posted

The NAE now showing snow for Friday but GFS now backed off the idea :lol:

I suspect the southward adjustments will continue now.

sorry meant accumulation, but.yep haha just as i said it i looked at the 12z, oh well another couple of days of model watching eh? would be washed away the next day though nae showing 40+ mm of ppn over the 48hrs from now till then; note it will be rain firstly if any snow falls, but it will be wet somewhere in england/wales, maybe even northern france! Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

I suspect we won't get rain, sleet or snow in the end with the low zipping through the channel, hopefully the Icelandic low on Monday can track further south :lol:

Posted

I suspect we won't get rain, sleet or snow in the end with the low zipping through the channel, hopefully the Icelandic low on Monday can track further south :lol:

yeah we could end up the wrong side both days, although nae has snow accumilating in a line from north wales across to lincoln so we will be alright with a slight southward track Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Re. Friday....early doors yet, but encouraging NAE output for the Midlands

post-4149-0-92657700-1359562166_thumb.gi

post-4149-0-89708700-1359562184_thumb.gi

Posted

The idea of having seperate threads was used to cover periods where the regional threads were anticipated to be extremely busy, hence the poll to gauge member opinion before implementing it. So to say Admin has 'ignored' the results is rather disingenuous.

In fairness to my point thats not really what the Poll question asked,, it read to me like you were asking if we wanted a permanent split, no mention of it being a short term measure to deal with traffic so Im sure you can appreciate why it appeared to me that the poll result had been ignored

http://forum.netweat...bers-snap-poll/

However I appreciate your response and I understand your reasoning for merging the threads again so thats my last word on the subject.

Heres to some more potential snow next week or maybe Friday ?

Edited by Ryan05

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The NAE was poor with last Friday possible snow event for my area ~(Coventry) it showed snow for a couple of hours of snow before turning back to rain but it was a total washout so wont believe it until i can see snow falling outside my window

Posted

Ian Fergusson's just posted in the SW regional...thought I'd pop in the link here as it'll be applicable to this region....

Posted

The NAE was poor with last Friday possible snow event for my area ~(Coventry) it showed snow for a couple of hours of snow before turning back to rain but it was a total washout so wont believe it until i can see snow falling outside my window

nae is usually poor with more marginal events, it was spot on with the friday before and infact picked up on hours of light snow other models didnt

Posted

Yeah I don't believe this Nae output at moment.. Far too much question mark over the development of the low pressure and it's track. I guess it shows what is possible but very low probability

Nae was great before last Friday... However it does seem to be going off on one with this track and development... If it shows the same for three or four runs I will take more note, but as others have mentioned the rain will most likely stay well south of it taking a track across the south of england

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not a fan of north westerlies, never cold enough under 200m, but has been showing consistently for next tues/wed, a very snowy toppler, areas like Stoke could get pasted, Ian Brown thoughts?

Posted

not a fan of north westerlies, never cold enough under 200m, but has been showing consistently for next tues/wed, a very snowy toppler, areas like Stoke could get pasted, Ian Brown thoughts?

Thats great for me im hoping for a few cheshire gap setups to happen

Posted

Thats great for me im hoping for a few cheshire gap setups to happen

good for your area, but not mine, not a fan of cheshire Gap, need uppers below -10 for snow here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

As regards fridays potential, still uncertain,but flooding is possible, along with the risk of some backedge snow, watch this spaceacute.gif

Posted

As the output stands then there is the usual window for the Cheshire Gap set-up, I would like to see a slightly better angle of isobars from the models though. But the type of North Westerly being progged never fails here.

good for your area, but not mine, not a fan of cheshire Gap, need uppers below -10 for snow here

Really ? I would have thought -7/8 would have sufficed as I've seen Cheshire Gap set-ups bring snow to Birmingham and the West Midlands county.

Posted

Re. Friday....early doors yet, but encouraging NAE output for the Midlands

I'll believe it when I see it falling from the sky, AJ!

How's life treating you down in the wilds of Wiltshire? :)

Bish

Posted

As the output stands then there is the usual window for the Cheshire Gap set-up, I would like to see a slightly better angle of isobars from the models though. But the type of North Westerly being progged never fails here.

Really ? I would have thought -7/8 would have sufficed as I've seen Cheshire Gap set-ups bring snow to Birmingham and the West Midlands county.

Feel it will be like Dec 16th-18th 2011 at best, snow only settled above 200m, NW tends to be a fairly mild direction, no where near as cold as E or NE, or direct north

Posted

Feel it will be like Dec 16th-18th 2011 at best, snow only settled above 200m, NW tends to be a fairly mild direction, no where near as cold as E or NE, or direct north

see that date was great for stoke gave about 2-3 inches and some big flakes