Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion 22/01/13 23z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Just watched a recording of the 10.30 BBC forecast and it shows 5 - 10cm for here (CV7) at 1.00am. Can't see where that's coming from???

They've been showing this region under heavy snow since 6pm! Couldnt get any more wrong if they tried, hence I dont believe (unfortunately) that we're going to see any snow from this at all.

More annoying to be told to prepare for 10cm & get nothing than to know you're going to miss out from the start.

Sigh.

Off to bed.

Posted

Drizzle outside now!

I've been outside around the area with my mate. Had some incredibly heavy snow....around 12cm of snow has fallen here. Main roads are totally covered and there were quite a few cars that were abandoned and stuck on the roads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Snow lulled and has picked up again now...can see there was a gap in the radar briefly.

Posted

Well had some ridiculously heavy snow in the end here, raining lightly now turning it all to slush again but was a nice surprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

had around 2cms snow, slight thaw as it got up to 0.7C in the night, now -1.5C with clear skies

not a bad way for cold to go out, heavy snow/ice pellets, better than 2010's whimper

Posted

Although it's been above freezing all night, the lane and paths are covered in ice. Presumably still frozen from the hard frost on Thursday night! Stlll plenty of snow here, but thaw is evident too. Let's just get it over with, and move on to the next cold shot!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Huge dissapointement last night in brun but can't complain as we had a very decent week certainly unforgetable, intresting weather though last night ice, freezing rain heavy rain and wat can only be described as someone throwing slush out of the sky. Good to see some of the region get a battering of snow and so I'm left with one question did azores get on that damm train?

Posted

Never much if any snow here so not disappointed on that score. But only 1.6mm of rain was disappointing. Can't even get proper rain in these parts!

Posted

Although it's been above freezing all night, the lane and paths are covered in ice. Presumably still frozen from the hard frost on Thursday night! Stlll plenty of snow here, but thaw is evident too. Let's just get it over with, and move on to the next cold shot!

very icy here, after freezing rain fell last night, on top of snow, then clear skies inch of frozen slush in parts

Posted

Pretty amazing tbf what has happened

The rain never returned here, got a level snow cover ( all be it very small) I'd say 1-2cm fell last evening and at times it was the heaviest snow I've ever seen (I was a 90's) born tbf!!! :D

Now there's not a cloud in the sky and it's a winters scene for the last few hours of this cold spell of imagine. Brilliant!

Posted

no cloud here either, no thaw and -1.4C, keep my snow a bit longer, but why cant it be sunny next week

Posted

Well the BBC really messed up the forecast tonight. blum.gif

I bet people were eating tea expecting inches, ooops...

Add Central News to that. Hardly snowed here , yet they predicted Heavy snow with 5-10cms for our region.

And they get paid mega money ...... should be out of work with me next week.

cray.gif

Posted

Glorious sunshine at long last this morning, up to 1.8c now so drip drip drip but been a great spell of weather, hopefully February has a few tricks up it's sleeve, a cheshire gap streamer preferably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Add Central News to that. Hardly snowed here , yet they predicted Heavy snow with 5-10cms for our region.

And they get paid mega money ...... should be out of work with me next week.

cray.gif

Well if you listened to touchfm102 I did mention yesterday on the Breakfast show Ollie Gallant, that I was not expecting much snow for the area. Perhaps a brief spell of snow especially on high ground but it quickly to turn to rain! Im not blowing my own trumpet, but my experience over the years in these marginal situations, is that 9 times out of 10 the weather will generally turn out like it did last night. The computer models are generally fantastic, but they cannot replicate human experience, and its a shame that regional/national TV and Radio forecasts in these situation dont lean to a bit of human input rather than solely relying on computer model output.rofl.gifacute.gifgood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well if you listened to touchfm102 I did mention yesterday on the Breakfast show Ollie Gallant, that I was not expecting much snow for the area. Perhaps a brief spell of snow especially on high ground but it quickly to turn to rain! Im not blowing my own trumpet, but my experience over the years in these marginal situations, is that 9 times out of 10 the weather will generally turn out like it did last night. The computer models are generally fantastic, but they cannot replicate human experience, and its a shame that regional/national TV and Radio forecasts in these situation dont lean to a bit of human input rather than solely relying on computer model output.rofl.gifacute.gifgood.gif

Yep you were correct, spot on in fact for most of us.

I posted yesterday that the all models except the GFS had marginal but favourable parameters for snow. In this situation they were wrong because south of a line from Telford to Leicester, dewpoints turned unfavourable and the instance of freezing rain suggest to me that the 850hpas rose above 0c when they forecast to stay just below for most of the west midlands.

Cant complain though here in Lichfield/Tamworth there has been the most snow I have seen in at least 10 years if not 15years over the last 2weeks! good.gif

Edited by Paceyboy

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Well the BBC really messed up the forecast tonight. blum.gif

I bet people were eating tea expecting inches, ooops...

6:30pm BBC Midlands Today got it bang on for me. Snizzle at 4:30pm, snow from about 6pm, which barely gave a light covering, then heavy rain..Their live broadcast from Shrewsbury at 6:45 showed the presenter standing in the pouring rain.

The further north and east was always going to be a more difficult call, especially after dark, but I got exactly what I had expected from my location.... mainly rain .....and now a nice sunny morning.

post-1596-0-45418300-1359199510_thumb.jp

EDIT:you can follow the animation (and whole presentation) through on I-player

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Saw no additional snow yesterday, a fair bit of thaw going on but still plenty of snow on the Malverns and in my backyard! The roads are clear which is the main thing. Went for a walk on the Hills but there's a layer of ice on the snow from last night's rain so it's a little hazardous. Looking west the fields over the Severn valley are largely clear of snow except in shady patches, but on the western side there's still snow lying towards Herefordshire. Currently 4.6oC here and a little light rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

got to say all this hipe regarding snow to end the cold sbell, well we had some slete and rain still icey though. I c some r talking about cold in feb i cant c it some how hope im wrong.

Posted

Covering gone in some areas snowman drooping in drifting areas still about 3 inches of snow think there'll only be a snowman blob left by Tuesday :(