Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 24th January 2013, 06z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

ok - would you like to whip me now or later - lol - some of wales got snow - so I wasn't totally wrong plus I still think the next two weeks we'll have loads of the stuff - mark my words!

We all get it wrong Andy, however it always seems to be the next two weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Stopped snowing now, beautiful blue skies and sun and shiny shiny snow - pic taken about half an hour ago but taken half an hour to work out how to load it uppost-13067-0-29976900-1360062529_thumb.j

Posted

Stopped snowing now, beautiful blue skies and sun and shiny shiny snow - pic taken about half an hour ago but taken half an hour to work out how to load it uppost-13067-0-29976900-1360062529_thumb.j

Blimey you struck it lucky!

Posted

RAGING HEAVY BLIZZARD NOW

edit:- turning alwhite up here in the crows nest! lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Hail showers continuing here all morning. Still about 1cm on the ground, maybe 2cm in the grass. Would be surprised if many places south of here have snow when we have had hail all night and morning, soft hail looks very like snow it's only when you examine it closely that you see it is little round pellets and not snowflakes.

Current temp is 3.0c but humidity remains low so a dp of -1.7c. The strong wind will help reduce humidity and perhaps also hail is dryer / less easily evaporated than rain or snow? The humidity is certainly lower than I would expect during most rain or snow events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Well, it's raining in Cardiff. Shower coming in from the North.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Actually it's snowing.

Posted
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Frost, Thunderstorms, Gales
  • Location: Gilfach, Bargoed, South East Wales Valleys, 190m Asl

snowing in Tongwynlais......

JK

Posted

A few very brief soft hail/ proper hail showers here this morning, it has not been cold enough for snow to settle had it snowed.

Temp: 3.6c DP 0.5c. The lightning and hail was at least entertaining yesterday evening!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Sleet, hail, 5 C

Posted

Is it just Newport that has the snow shield activated today then - lovely cold bright day down here

Posted

Large area of precipitation about to hit N Wales - snow I would have thought

Posted

Large area of precipitation about to hit N Wales - snow I would have thought

Snow for high ground only (300m and over), sleet and rain lower down although temporary snow just about possible, less cold air moving down with that front later through this afternoon.

Posted

Snow for high ground only (300m and over), sleet and rain lower down although temporary snow just about possible, less cold air moving down with that front later through this afternoon.

Would be interested in any reports from the ground? Anyone?

I agree I would have thought temps too warm, especially as warmer air is moving down with it, but NMM (on the radar) suggesting it readily turning to snow at the moment.

Temp up to 4c here now, but dp still down at -1.6c and no real melt of the hail covering.

Posted

Latest from Buzz Two (quite intresting ) .

Possible snow event – HEADS UP

Posted Tue, 05 Feb 2013 07:48:42

Too early to be sure, but there’s the possibility of a significant snow event late in the weekend and at the beginning of next week. It looks as though low pressure will sink south across the UK, and with cold air about this could mean a lot of the precipitation falls as snow. The event could be marginal, so at this stage I’d not rule out rain or sleet as well as snow. There’s also time for the forecast development of the low pressure to change significantly, meaning it could still end up as a non-event. However, this one is definitely worth watching I think. The ECM chart below shows the forecast for 0GMT Monday, with low pressure heading south and high pressure building to the north, with an easterly developing across Britain.

We will see good.gif

ECM, UKMO and GEM showing a possible big snow event on the weekend, looks similar to the Jan big snowfall.

130205_0000_132.png

130205_0000_132.png

Been showing for a while now, would be nice for this winter to go out on a bang as it doesn't look promising from next week.

GEM

gemfr-2-132.png?00

Posted

Excerpt from my weekly weather guide published on Sunday:

Another cold and windy day on Wednesday, and with the low by this time over the North Sea/ Denmark area, winds will have turned northerly. Further wintry showers affecting West Wales, some quite heavy with hail, and with snow settling above about 200m again. The Preseli hills the favourite for a snow covering on Wednesday perhaps, with a shower 'streamer ', sometimes referred to as a 'Pembrokeshire Dangler' in which a line of showers track all the way down the Irish Sea in the north flow making landfall on the north Pembrokeshire coast. Some wintry showers also affecting the MIdlands on Wednesday, few and far between west of Coventry, with most over the East Midlands, some good sunny spells though on Wednesday for much of the Mildands.Highs of 3 or 4c on Wednesday, feeling very chilly in the fresh to strong north wind.

Posted

Best dry drifting snow from across the atlantic(west wind)since the early 90`s incredible,some whirlwind drifting also,seen alot of that this winter.

A covering of snow,a day must of been a little like Jan 1984 been waiting along for a day like today.

Posted

Would be interested in any reports from the ground? Anyone?

I agree I would have thought temps too warm, especially as warmer air is moving down with it, but NMM (on the radar) suggesting it readily turning to snow at the moment.

Temp up to 4c here now, but dp still down at -1.6c and no real melt of the hail covering.

Unfortunately the radar is suspect in it's interpretation so I have been put right before Mike!