Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Holy Bejesus - that's windy.

Several flirtations with the hard shoulder as the gusts pummelled me driving down the M80...

I'd be really worried, if when the snow comes, the wind is stronger, driving on a motorway with wind as high as that coupled to a blizzard, is not good.

If you're driving in the central belt tomorrow - please take it easy - better you get there late, than not at all.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

As usual - BBC Scotland's first of the morning, has played down today's action - confining it basically to areas west of Glasgow...

Posted

Heavy thick snow shower in Aberdeen. Temp still up at 4c apparently but snow starting to stick and wind us fierce!

Same here about 20 minutes ago currently 1.2c with a strong west wind. Seems to lots of showers on the radar making it well across the country.

Posted

Same here about 20 minutes ago currently 1.2c with a strong west wind. Seems to lots of showers on the radar making it well across the country.

Now heavy falling snow and we now have a covering,currently 0.5c and and the strong wind is now muffled with the snow filled air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Blawin a hoolie here. Rain lashing down at times but some sleet mixed in. 3.3 C

Nice ECM and GFS the morn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

COLP, Pepperpots - brilliant, new weather terminology all good :)

Anchored by Iceland this one just hanging charging up before it decides to drop in and visit. Already some strong gusts.

WV imagery shows the stratospheric air dragging into the system well.

post-7292-0-16343800-1359964381_thumb.jp

The RGB airmass image is still stunning as that trail of #pepperpot showers drags all the way back across the Atlantic beyond the Greenland tip.

post-7292-0-03450000-1359964390_thumb.jp

Fax charts picture the progress the system makes slowly dropping in on the UK and down the East coast, before the main front decays leaving a straight Arctic Northerly by Weds.

post-7292-0-88296700-1359964599_thumb.gipost-7292-0-74060100-1359964606_thumb.gipost-7292-0-77631200-1359964612_thumb.gi

NWP still looking good , ECM still rock solid on an Easterly influence towards 9th 10th Feb. Wonder if it will redeem itself for the flip it performed earlier in the season?? Getting this one nailed form what is 6 runs now of consistency would be an impressive resolve for the ECM.

post-7292-0-01356300-1359964848_thumb.gi

Off to the office which is like a big greenhouse and shoogles around a bit in gales. Will be fun !

Mon the Snaw !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Very colourful sky this morning - pink, blue, orange, BLACK.....and hammering down with a sleety mix! They are certainly getting across.

Posted

Temperature peaked out at 8.8*c around 1am - since then it's steadily fallen and is now 1.5*c/-0.6*c DP

windy and squally, mostly sleet/rain but some showers now very definitely have snow in them and looking out there appears to be a snowline around 100m where some fresh whiteness can be seen..

I prefer the nice gentle #pepperpot from the N/NE - the kind that creeps up on you slowly, without making you sneeze - to this Westerly one though those images BFT,& Lorenzo have posted are stunning! .. and LSS, yep the Grampians seem to be shading this wee neuk of Aberdeenshire from the "worst" ..for now anyway - defintiely looking like an interesting few days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Sleet in South Suburban Embra... also gusting wildly and dark and lowering out there - I've got to go out on foot twice today, at 1ish for 45 minutes, and then later an hour-long walk each way to a 3pm appt... I'm going to have to wear ALL my woollies I think!

Posted

Showers turned to heavy wet snow here now. No settling yet.

Another great cycle to work coming up!

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Very colourful sky this morning - pink, blue, orange, BLACK.....and hammering down with a sleety mix! They are certainly getting across.

Same here, sky is all colours. T 3.5c and slight rain at the moment. The wind during the night was awful, the whole of Clan Poots were in the same bed at one point! Kids were a bit of edge with the noise of flying wheelie bins and bits of branches hitting off the windows. Not seen any snaw yet...

Edited by Poots

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WARNING #009

ISSUED: 1515UTC SUNDAY 3RD FEBRUARY 2013 (GJ/GS)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

WESTERN SCOTLAND NORTHERN SCOTLAND OUTER HEBRIDES NORTHERN ISLANDS

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0600UTC TUESDAY 5TH FEBRUARY 2013

VERY DEEP LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM TRANSITING EAST CLOSE TO NORTHERN UK, GENERATING A VERY STRONG GRADIENT AND COLD AIR ADVECTION

SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED IMMINENTLY, OR OCCURRING, SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE REGIONS INDICATED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WARNING INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

SEVERE GALES...STRONG GUSTS...DAMAGING GUSTS...HEAVY SNOW...BLIZZARDS

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS EXCELLENT MODEL AND PARTNER AGENCY CONFIDENCE OF A SEVERE WEATHER RISK THROUGH MONDAY. AS A LOW DEEPENS TO SUB-960MB CLOSE TO THE NORTH, A STRONG PRESSURE GRADIENT AND A WIDE AREA OF GALE FORCE WINDS WILL BE ADVECTED INTO THE NORTHWEST QUARTER. MEAN WINDSPEEDS ABOVE 50MPH ARE EXPECTED, WITH GUSTS ABOVE 70MPH AND POSSIBLY EXCEEDING 80MPH EVEN AT LOW LEVELS OWING TO EXPOSURE AND LEE EFFECTS. THESE WINDS ARE POTENTIALLY DAMAGING, AND OVER HIGH GROUND WILL BE DANGEROUS. THE COLD POST-FRONTAL MARITIME AIRMASS WILL GENERATE SUCCESSIVE SHOWERS WHICH WILL READILY TURN TO SNOW AWAY FROM COASTS AND OVER HIGH GROUND, LEADING TO BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AND POSSIBLE ACCUMULATIONS OF BETWEEN 5CM AT LOW LEVELS TO POSSIBLY EXCEEDING 20CM ABOVE 400M, ESPECIALLY WHERE DRIFTING OCCURS. NEIGHBOURING AREAS MAY SEE GUSTS EXCEED 70MPH BUT THE RISK IS EXPECTED TO BE CONFINED TO THE WARNING AREAS AT LEAST UNTIL TUESDAY MORNING. THIS WARNING MAY BE UPDATED OR UPGRADED. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL CONDITIONS AS NECESSARY. LONG JOURNEYS OR TRAVEL OVER ELEVATED ROUTES IS NOT ADVISED.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy cold winters & long warm summers. Some stormy weather too!

Heavy snow showers here this morning (even at 19m asl so hope for coasties), beginning to settle. Still pretty gusty when the showers get going. Have today and tomorrow off so i'm looking forward to gazing out of the window all day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hurry up and come to Donegal snow,leave them Scots alone ha

Given my Gran was from Donegal, I feel that entitles me to at least 1/4 of yer snaw.

---------

We covering of snaw up Soutra and on the Pentlands; snaw fallin on snaw. Sleety on higher stretches of the Edinburgh bypass and very windy; my car's fairly low and aerodynamic so if I can feel the wind on it, must be well blawin!

Edited by scottish skier