Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Have just had a very heavy shower here. Started as sleet with the odd wet snawflake and then got going properly:

post-736-0-56639800-1359978357_thumb.jpg

Now off again, but we have a bare covering on the grass.

Temp dived from 4.1ºC to 1.8ºC mid-shower after an overnight high of 7.1ºC.

'Mon the snaw!

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Hangs head in shame - totally out with snow level. Maybe 500-600m on the hills above Aberfoyle. Cover verylocalised, even then not sure if it might even be remainder of weekend snow. Menteith hills are green. Tops of Ben Ledi and Ben Venue have snow but again not total whiteness. Bright and blustery here now, you could see the summit on Ben Lomond briefly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Those warning maps are a complete mess.

I think Tuesdays Met Office warning map will be in with a serious chance of winning next years Turner Prize! If anyone can understand all those overlapping areas then I'm impressed.

Cairngorms snowshield working well here at the moment, only breached at around 7am this morning with a brief snow shower, which didn't lie. Unless the wind turns more northerly then I cant see us getting much snow/sleet/rain despite being in the yellow warning area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

Horizontal hail, pretty damn wild !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

We don't need any limp--wristed Met Office weather warning. We're Scots and we're used to whatever weather is thrown at us. Really, the Met O is for the southern cousins (you only have to look at the "cold weather alert")..acute.gif

Meanwhile, let's get this low moving doon the North Sea and give us a true northerly gale hi.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Blustery and showers at South Gyle today, rain, sleet, Pentlands looking shrouded in grey cloud.

Windchill picking up too. Very active weather today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Wild and windy but hee haw in the way of snow. Jist a load o' sleet and hail blowing through in the wind. Man, the wind wid cut ye in three!

Posted

Blustery and showers at South Gyle today, rain, sleet, Pentlands looking shrouded in grey cloud.

Windchill picking up too. Very active weather today.

Pentlands webcam I posted earlier is now covered in snow! Hope the snow level keeps dropping!

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Glad the snow is back. We had a heavy snow shower just before 09hr which left a very thin cover on the ground-now melted.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

well it looks god awful outside on and off showers of rain or sleet and wind howling like mad.

i'm not looking forward to going out in the next hour and standing waiting for a bus.

Posted

Bit of sleet here and a little windy. However my eldest daughter has just rang to say that the school is sending some of the kids home. The bus company my eldest uses has taken the decision to pick the kids up earlier. The other bus company has not made that decision and my middle one is still at school.

Apparently the bus company and now the school are concerned about the weather later on during the day.

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

ECM 00Z ensembles surface T london. All downhill fae here. Liking the mean.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Sorry for being pessimistic but I really can't see any excitement with April showers and wet ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

A prolonged, heavy snow shower and starting to settle on grass.

Posted

That is the high school getting in touch with parents. All pupils who travel via bus/taxi to and from Crieff High school have been sent home due to the deterioration in the weather.

My wife has rang from work to say that patient travelling from Stirling has cancelled her appointment when on route to say that the weather is far to bad for her to continue her journey.

At the moment I am looking at a blue sky and light winds !!

M...

Posted

May not be much snow or sleet for that matter yet but the showers have been relentless!

Posted

Sorry for being pessimistic but I really can't see any excitement with April showers and wet ground.

You are being too pessimistic. smile.png

These showers are penetrating right across the country without losing much of their potency at all. Yes, there's a lot of cold rain below 400 metres just now and whilst dew points are still above freezing where most people live, that won't change. Sorry if I'm sounding like I'm teaching you to suck eggs but forget the wet ground as it's not important after the DP's drop later this afternoon. The laws of physics mean that the puddles will have to either evaporate or freeze. The showers (of snow by then) are progged to continue and maybe even pep up through this evening and overnight. Snow will settle.