Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Fair blawin a hoolie here. Wind whistling round the house.

Was lashing down at times on the A68 on the way home with wind blowing it around. Fair bit of surface water with lorries giving cars a soaking with spray - enough to overcome windscreen wipers for a second or two causing drivers to brake. Nasty conditions anyway.

If that's what it's like here, must be wild oot west.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Eoropie weather station, Butt of Lewis recording sustained winds at ~ 60mph, with gusts at 76mph.

http://www.eoropaidh.co.uk/weather/live/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Signs of a Sting Jet?

Could be, the NMM certainly flagged up wind gusts in excess of 80 mph for the far north around midnight-3am as the peak and that would fit with the satellite image, although worryingly this could of course end up further south.

post-9298-0-61341500-1359494377_thumb.pn

18z GFS Update

9pm Very strong gusts over the West reports of gusts over 80mph there tonight,

Gust chart 9pm

12am Gust chart shows winds reaching well over 80mph for the Northern tip of Scotland I think they may get 90mph up there later tonight.

3am Gust chart has wind gusts near 90mph but as we know it can under do the gusts so possible 100mph over the Northern coasts through the night,

6am Gust chart still very windy over the far North with winds reaching over 80mph,

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

Winds are getting worse here. Hope there is not too much damage to sort tomorrow and everyone stays safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Oh winds here are gusty and sounding quite scary, i really hope everyone north & West stays safe. Take care everyone.

Posted

Looks like we've lost communication with if not the actual weather station at the base of the snowsports area at Glencoe. Last data had a mean of 61mph and a 5min high gust of 104mph at 1200ft on the edge of Rannoch Moor. As with an unexpectedly stormy evening in mid September, the wind can just rip in gusts round the edge of the moor, the A82 was completely blocked for hours with blown over HGV's littering the place that night in September and the highest gust was 90 at the base of the ski area that night. I notice the A82 has been closed to high side vehicles between Tyndrum and Glencoe Village since earlier this evening, not taking any chances tonight. Weather station at the SSC Hut is still reporting for now, wonder if we'll get much above the 94mph that has been recorded several times already this evening.

Posted

Windy here but nothing too out of the ordinary just your fairly standard blow really

Posted

Wind really howling here we are very exposed at the crest of a hill. Seems the only answer is to open one of the xmas malts as a sleeping aid!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Wind really howling here we are very exposed at the crest of a hill. Seems the only answer is to open one of the xmas malts as a sleeping aid!!!!!!

It's taken you over a month to find an excuse?!! Crikey... Also getting gustier here - fortunately we are sheltered from the worst from that direction by neighbours but I can hear stuff (ye olde wheelie bin probably) bouncing down the street now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

6.2c/2.1c/17mph/WSW. & dry (finally) As you can see by the stats for here, nothing untoward at the moment. Hope you peeps further north and west get a night's sleep tho' without too much damage to wake up to. NL remedy of a night cap sounds about right!

Posted

Evening all, I see it's a tad breezy up North. Stay safe is the main thing.

Just back fir Liverpool and the upper reaches of the M74 are interesting to say the least. Wee company Astra was a little light for all the water and wind, and got caught behind 2 rolling blocks to clear cars losing it in the water and wind.

Posted

It's taken you over a month to find an excuse?!! Crikey... Also getting gustier here - fortunately we are sheltered from the worst from that direction by neighbours but I can hear stuff (ye olde wheelie bin probably) bouncing down the street now.

Well at x many £ /bottle its for emergency use only! especially as it was a present for assistence given freely given during last years damp harvest. and for which I was expecting no recompense. Having said that I think it will aid sleep very well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Currently in Kinbrace and it's a tad noisy outside and in. I'm glad we're inland a bit and not bearing the brunt of the worst winds like they are on the coast.

I'd open the door for a look if I thought I could close it again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Update: very close to being a nowcast but the NMM shows strongest gusts persisting across the far north for longer, potential for 90+mph gusts relatively widely across the north coast, Lewis, Orkney.

post-9298-0-64914800-1359502624_thumb.pn

post-9298-0-15146200-1359502635_thumb.pn

Were it more densely populated or at least more southerly in location I dare say the Met Office would have issued a red warning for it, or probably even a hurricane warning given the furore that took place the last time a major wind storm hit southern England (the models did somewhat misjudge its track a bit in fairness but by definition it was not a hurricane).

Anyway, red warning or not I'd treat this as a 'don't go out of the house unless absolutely necessary' situation if I lived north of Inverness or on the Moray coasts/ the Outer Hebrides.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Posted

I wonder if this might warrant a red warning for Friday then as it's a bullseye right over London smile.png

http://www.weatheron...P=0&INFO=0&WMO=

Certainly it's worth remembering that the wind is far from done with us yet - tomorrow evening and Thursday morning rush hour look particularly hairy, firstly for the northeastern quadrant and then for everywhere south of where tonight's storm was a major issue. NMM flags up the potential for gusts up to 70 mph for central Scotland on Thursday morning albeit for a short period associated with an active squall line.

Posted

Just had to run out and pick up mine and the neighbours wheelie bins as the wind had taken them off down the street, have brought them back up to the house for a bit shelter and I'll keep an eye out for the bin lorry in the morning and quickly put them out then,

Currently gusting at 62mph and my wee hoose is rattlin!!

Stay safe folks, looks like it's gonna be a long night!

Posted

Just had another few flickers or the lights and a brownout here in Inverness, first for over an hour... wonder if that means somewhere just lost power?

Posted

Certainly it's worth remembering that the wind is far from done with us yet - tomorrow evening and Thursday morning rush hour look particularly hairy, firstly for the northeastern quadrant and then for everywhere south of where tonight's storm was a major issue. NMM flags up the potential for gusts up to 70 mph for central Scotland on Thursday morning albeit for a short period associated with an active squall line.

Oh joy, another interesting drive doon the M74 at 7am!!!