Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

we are getting ready here council has put a warning out ,buses are canceled from 6 tonight ,

we have feed all the animals, i hope the power does hold as at work tonight ,

wind is at 49.9 already

barometer reading at the moment is 972.0

We've already had a 55mph gust, and have tied as much down outside as we can. I'm settling in for the night, the OH currently cooking tea. Please take out there tonight, it's gonna get wild! Baro reading 969.

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Good evening. Well, isn't wild out there with the wind beginning to pick up and combining with spell of rain has made for a some really raw conditions but there was a spectacular colour to the overcast sky at sunset. And a really wild night is in store, especially further north with the hebridean islands and nw highlands and northern isles at risk of some damaging gusts. The good news is that it will turn colder at the end of the week andall is ticking along steadily for some decent seasonal conditions further into February.

Posted

it's really picked up ,in the last half an hour ,

we are getting gusts now of 61.7 mph and the barometer is still dropping (967.9)

Edited by milkmaid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Love the fact you guys take it all in your stride that kind of wind down here would have the media in a complete spin. Still stay safe all. Attempting to get to Canna Sunday week so will be keeping fingers crossed and keeping tabs on the forum for a less windy spell. It can blow what it likes from 11th February!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Pretty damn windy out there at the moment...and some stormy weather to come as we move through the evening.As AWT sails above ,some quite dramatic looking skies this afternoon.

Here's a couple of pics I took half an hour ago.

Apologies if they are wrong way round!

post-18260-0-79494500-1359480703_thumb.j

post-18260-0-17100300-1359480857_thumb.j

Edited by DR(S)NO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Despite the slit wrists in the MOD, the 12z would probably be snowier for much of Scotland, in fact, more so than the latest 'cold' spell

Europe_2013012912_thgt850_138.png

Impressive surge of polar maritime air moving in from d6... that is a very potent polar NW'ly incoming!!

Posted

No idea of windspeed but wind is just roaring round the house just now. Very mild at 8c .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Despite the slit wrists in the MOD, the 12z would probably be snowier for much of Scotland, in fact, more so than the latest 'cold' spell

Europe_2013012912_thgt850_138.png

Impressive surge of polar maritime air moving in from d6... that is a very potent polar NW'ly incoming!!

I was just thinking that the centre, north and west of the country could well see the snow balance redressed over the coming days:

ecmt850.144.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Big gusts here at the moment 80mph, powers just gone off as well. Sea is really high as well with the tide.

Hoping the causeways stand-up - I've only ever seen them in calm sunny days but have imagined what they (with high tides/seaS) might look like in a storm - guess tonight is one of those nights..

Post pics if you can, safely - that goes for anyone oot far north west.

Hoping the causeways stand-up - I've only ever seen them in calm sunny days but have imagined what they (with high tides/seaS) might look like in a storm - guess tonight is one of those nights..

Post pics if you can, safely - that goes for anyone oot far north west.

Only 1 causeway in my area will check it tomorrow I know there's many more across the Western Isles as well one of them last year took a bit of damage but was repaired quickly.

Got a few pics before the sun went down but it's too dark to get anything good of the pier windows are covered in sea salt lol.

Will try and get pics posted tomorrow of any damage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Really not good for the NW. Wrap around in the low occurring now. Pressure down to 953mb which is deeper than Met O forecast.

+80mph gusts.

post-18389-0-99217600-1359488625_thumb.j

post-18389-0-47081300-1359488648_thumb.g

post-18389-0-73221800-1359488837_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A snap of the UK last week after the big snaw. Really illustrates just how unlucky those kilters who missed out were. Better luck (surely) over the next couple of weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21252362

Stay safe everyone on the islands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A snap of the UK last week after the big snaw. Really illustrates just how unlucky those kilters who missed out were. Better luck (surely) over the next couple of weeks.

Notable the extent of cover across Fife compared to how poor cover was across the Lothians.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Big gusts here at the moment 80mph, powers just gone off as well. Sea is really high as well with the tide.

Crikey you castlebay or northbay side?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

For any of us shore-dwellers who speculate what the definition of "coastal" can mean in these kind of marginal situations, theres the answer right there sad.png

Better luck next time I hope doh.gif

Notable the extent of cover across Fife compared to how poor cover was across the Lothians.

Crikey you castlebay or northbay side?

Castlebay side.

Any western isles webcams? I note the Barra webcam is affline. North & South Uists must be getting hammered.

Yeah the one here is offline and I don't know of any in Uist or Benbecula.

Tell you what I'll quickly set up a live stream for the next 2 hours will be back soon with a link.

Posted

Wind isn't too bad here but I am amazed at the level of water in the fields. The Allan Water and the Knaik river run side by side but are kept apart by a large grass embankment. That embankment is about to be breached. I have seen this before but I have never seen that amount of water in the fields that run adjacent to the Military Road. Fortunately I don't think we are forecast any more rain at the moment.

Hope all those on the islands stay safe this evening.

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

South Uist 83 mph ... at 4m !!

http://www.weatheron...akt&R=310&CEL=C

South Uist

Picking up here as well ,like BFT said a fair wrap around on the sting in this one. Nasty.

Hope all stay safe, without the destructive damage.

Gusts picking up here also within the last wee while.

Massive lift in the hour on hour change in Gust speed for Skye. Fx column

http://www.weatherca...obsid/3037.html

post-7292-0-26568500-1359491349_thumb.jp

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

You know something's wrong when grange-over-sands (the clue's in the name) has more snow than the Black Isle....

Continuous dull roaring around the house here.

Posted

Looking at that snow cover and having travelled down the east coast train on Saturday and seeing so much snow even down to sea level why did certain parts on east coast Scotland see so little snow?