Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales (Cymru) Regional Discussion 7th Februaury 2013, 12z onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Higher ground in Wales could well get a dusting of snow on Saturday also east Wales could also get a dusting 13022312_2206.gif

That looks quite widespread to be honest.

Posted

That looks quite widespread to be honest.

Tends to over egg pp amounts you should have a good chance of a dusting were you live.The NAE saying says 1cm ,check update later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Just back from long walk mit mutt, grey skies, very cold, but very dry. River Ceiriog levels down from the rushing torrents following the snow, was it just last month? One thing I have noticed, our house is slate built with thick walls, which means it can be colder inside than out most of the time. BUT, with it being so dry and cold, I haven't got the heating on, whereas wet and cold and I am stuck to the radiator like a limpet and I definately do not like being cold. Having said that, I am wearing most of my wardrobe, guess after twenty years here am beginning to become acclimatized.

Posted

Any light snow that does fall tomorrow will stick to the ground like a limpet. I haven't seen the fields or roads around here this dry for a long time.

Just come back from a walk and it's feeling unbelievably cold in the wind.Makes you think how they cope with this in Eastern Europe year after year.

Posted

Matty read this LOL

article-2266374-17186FDA000005DC-867_964x577.jpg

As we whinge about the wintry weather here in Britain, spare a thought for those living in a Russian hamlet where temperatures can plummet to -71C, so cold even planes cannot land there in winter. The valley of Oymyakon in northeast Russia is known as the 'Pole of Cold' and with an average January temperature of -50C, it is no wonder the village is the coldest permanently inhabited settlement in the world.

This is the lowest recorded temperature for any permanently inhabited location on Earth and the lowest temperature recorded in the Northern Hemisphere.

Most homes in Oymyakon still burn coal and wood for heat and enjoy few modern conveniences. Nothing grows there so people eat reindeer meat and horsemeat. A single shop provides the town's bare necessities and the locals work as reindeer-breeders, hunters and ice-fisherman.

Doctors say the reason the locals don't suffer from malnutrition is that their animals' milk contains a lot of micronutrients.

Unsurprisingly, locals are hardened to the weather and unlike in other countries - where a flurry of snow brings things grinding to a halt, Oymyakon's solitary school only shuts if temperatures fall below -52C.

Posted

I love the last line about schools only shutting if temps fall below -52!!!

Good job they haven't got health and safety obsessed local councils over there otherwise everything would be shut in days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Snow flurries here .clapping.gif

!!!!!!!! Checking outside my window haven't checked in ages.

OMG here too blowing in the wind! yahoo.gif

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

hiya folks - long time no post - been away again - this time a spa break in torquay - executive stress eh - yes we had a smidgen of something falling from the sky last night - blowing in the wind - and the nae looks like we might have further falls of something light today also - if you believe the bbc guys a cm or two isn't out of the way - you never know - hope you've all been keeping well - liza's been on tv this week - sky and on radio - so even though we put our feet up things kept going!

Posted

Just had a light dusting of snow here in Brecon but mostly melted again. Hope we get a bit more later! It's good compensation for our freezing holiday so far!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Light snow grains here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Yeah light snow grains here also although light and only passing in the wind, temp 3c DP -4c. A good northerly blast (something that has been missing this winter) will be a great way to end the winter, lets hope it happens then we all look for the hot and dry model output discussion as summer comes closer acute.gif

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Dandruff snow on and off in Cardiff too.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well they saw the funny side in the SE threadsmile.png

FYI he is actually an artist, this is merely his alter-ego:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McGowan_(performance_artist)

I would think my being banned for posting it slightly OTT.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Snow sprinkling here - not going to do much but pretty to look at

heavier now - actually settling a little

Posted

gfs 12z - well well well - blizzards at dawn for wales - out in fi land - but we'd be hit badly - pasted in fact - and have enough snow to last us till next winter - if that came off - winter ain't over yet by a long shot!

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Methuselah, February 23, 2013 - typical!
Hidden by Methuselah, February 23, 2013 - typical!

Well they saw the funny side in the SE threadsmile.png

FYI he is actually an artist, this is merely his alter-ego:

http://en.wikipedia....ormance_artist)

I would think my being banned for posting it slightly OTT.

well you are on your way to being banned or having points cause your post has been deleted - so they couldn't have been that ok with the stupid post - you idiot!

edit - and they didn't see the funny side of it at net weather - which means this might well have been a personal attack by you!

Edited by andymusic
Posted

Ho hum..another cold one, max 3.4c, that's something like 10 dry days, drought next!

Edited by TonyH

Posted

well you are on your way to being banned or having points cause your post has been deleted - so they couldn't have been that ok with the stupid post - you idiot!

edit - and they didn't see the funny side of it at net weather - which means this might well have been a personal attack by you!

Well it's still there in the SE thread where as I re-iterate they thought it funny. Sense of humour bypass Andy?

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

light 'fairy snow' at about 3:50pm, 'big blobby' snow for about 20 mins at 5:00pm and now light but steady snow. All of it settling as ground is frozen. Have seen cars coming from up Llanarmon way with good coating of snow. Is this the 'light dusting which will amount to nothing' as per METO or more snow to come?

Posted

light 'fairy snow' at about 3:50pm, 'big blobby' snow for about 20 mins at 5:00pm and now light but steady snow. All of it settling as ground is frozen. Have seen cars coming from up Llanarmon way with good coating of snow. Is this the 'light dusting which will amount to nothing' as per METO or more snow to come?

There seems to be an area of light to moderate precipitation developed over NE Wales and staying in situ, hard to say whether it will last or not, could deliver 2-3cm of snow to a few favoured spots.