Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 12th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

This was 2007 here in Bedworth.....................

STA70598_zps42a22e8d.jpg

And here is January 2013....................

photosfromphone21stjan131878_zps8a981c71.jpg

I know which wins :-D

Hopefully we'll get another snowy spell, this winter doesn't feel like it's done with us yet?

Posted

Warnings not following nae thats for sure ... Even the South has a chance on that

Don't forget, they don't issue warnings because there will be snow. They issue warnings to cover areas where they think the snow will cause travel disruption - though I admit I had expecting the warnings to extend a bit further south.

Posted

Don't forget, they don't issue warnings because there will be snow. They issue warnings to cover areas where they think the snow will cause travel disruption - though I admit I had expecting the warnings to extend a bit further south.

i think they have issued them for places they think will be affected for the rush hour?

Posted

What are the chances now that the nmm12z downgrades the snow for tomorrow just as gfs and nae upgrade it??

nmm is an upgrade, snow from around 9-4 going by that (see NW thread for charts) at least Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

nmm is an upgrade, snow from around 9-4 going by that (see NW thread for charts) at least

Nice one thanks mate!just gona go pop into the north west thread then!!

Posted

Yup nmm defo an upgrade on the 06z!!precipitation heavy and snowline maybe slightly further south!!could be looking at 2-3 hours of moderate snowfall!!boy if it upgrades even more on the 18z this place might go into meltdown!!

Posted

Yup nmm defo an upgrade on the 06z!!precipitation heavy and snowline maybe slightly further south!!could be looking at 2-3 hours of moderate snowfall!!boy if it upgrades even more on the 18z this place might go into meltdown!!

Trouble though it's gonna bloomin melt within 10 hours, I hate that type of transient snow, i'd rather it didn't happen at all tbh.

Posted

Trouble though it's gonna bloomin melt within 10 hours, I hate that type of transient snow, i'd rather it didn't happen at all tbh.

I know thats whats keeping everyone from gettin excited!!its a shame cos if it wasnt for the rain band behind it the snow would probably stick around cos of high pressure building in after!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

I'm with you on that CH. Snow to Rain event don't do it for me.

I like it because sometimes you can see very heavy snow. I prefer watching it fall... Puts me in a good mood anyway :)

Posted

I like it because sometimes you can see very heavy snow. I prefer watching it fall... Puts me in a good mood anyway smile.png

That's why I always use the term 'Safe Snow' the stuff that's gonna settle and not melt for at least a couple of days.

I can't get up enthusiasm for this sort of event, I am however, looking forward to the milder stuff later in the week, could get up to 10'c, which will be nice for sorting the allotment and garden after months of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

It's been snowing on and off in Ashbourne today for the Shrovetide x

Really? Just goes to show what about 8 miles can do - nothing here :(

Tomorrow's forecast for the East Midlands from me. For the West Midlands it is broadly the same just shift everything forward by a couple of hours :)

This evening it will remain cold and cloudy with light E'ly winds, although there will be some clearer spells more especially in the east of the region. There is likely to be a widespread ground frost as temperatures drop to lows of -3c in towns and cities, but over rural snow cover they could drop lower than this. Towards morning cloud will be thickening in the west along with a slight increase in windspeed, now from a SE'ly direction.

Tomorrow will see cloud thickening across the entire region from west to east ahead of a weather front which will bring outbreaks of sleet and snow into Derbyshire around late morning and the rest of us through the early afternoon. The entire region is at risk of some heavy snowfall from this, moreso in the north of the region where there could be a covering of 2-5cm. In southern counties amounts will be smaller and over the Peak District there could be up to 10cm. As we go into the late afternoon this snow will turn to rain from the southwest with most areas then seeing rain by the evening as milder air arrives from the west. Winds will be strong tomorrow, up to 30mph from a SE'ly direction and, over the hills of the Peak District, there is the chance of drifting snow and blizzard conditions for a time in winds gusting to 45mph. Temperatures will feel bitterly cold with highs of just 1C, and this will not be until evening - during the day do not expect temperatures to rise above freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

That's why I always use the term 'Safe Snow' the stuff that's gonna settle and not melt for at least a couple of days.

I can't get up enthusiasm for this sort of event, I am however, looking forward to the milder stuff later in the week, could get up to 10'c, which will be nice for sorting the allotment and garden after months of rain.

I think after tomorrows brief snow. I want the summer, love the snow but had plenty the last month. Bring on hot days and evening thunderstorms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

I'm cautiously optimistic for the Malverns - we've had a good winter for snow so far, why stop now? good.gif We still have lying snow here, a couple of cms and the temp only reached 0.1oC today, current -0.7OC, it's felt really bitter today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

those charts posted by backtrack very promising, looks very similar to Feb 4th last year, only thing the snow may not happen is the meto warnings non existant, even though bbc give me 3 hours of heavy snow

FAX charts develop a front ahead of the main front, first front snow, 2nd front snow, then we are in a warm sector, 3rd front all rain mild

Edited by Gimmesomesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

The only crap thing about tommorow is i'm stuck in a windowless office all day.

Going to have to make a few excuses to head outside :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Maybe 3 to 5 hrs of moderate snow tomorrow and signs of winter not finishing with us yet !

had to laugh with the word SUMMER was mentioned

Posted

those charts posted by backtrack very promising, looks very similar to Feb 4th last year, only thing the snow may not happen is the meto warnings non existant, even though bbc give me 3 hours of heavy snow

FAX charts develop a front ahead of the main front, first front snow, 2nd front snow, then we are in a warm sector, 3rd front all rain mild

yeah i was thinking 4th feb earlier... never know we may get more prolonged snow like that... however a link for fax please, im on phone and cant view, also i dont think the 3rd front will be rain purely because of a warm sector but also alot to do with the angle Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

The only crap thing about tommorow is i'm stuck in a windowless office all day.

Going to have to make a few excuses to head outside :)

Il be so tempted to post BLIZZARD!!!!! When the first flurries start so you go running out to av a look

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Reckon we might see a few hours of light-moderate. Could end up being the last whiteout of the season so enjoy it, for however long it lasts. Bring on the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well the latest forecast from the BBC, looked absolute tosh for this part of the Mids. No interest from me I'm afraid.

Yes south midlands is a bit patchy this time yesterday most of the midlands was like that wait for the 18z before you make your mind up.