Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 12th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yes south midlands is a bit patchy this time yesterday most of the midlands was like that wait for the 18z before you make your mind up.

My mind is made up already. Like I said earlier, Snow to Rain events don't Float my boat I'm afraid. Good luck to the rest of you, I'll be giving the radar a miss for this.

Posted

Well the latest forecast from the BBC, looked absolute tosh for this part of the Mids. No interest from me I'm afraid.

They will be using the metoffice warnings as guidance which were issued just after 10am. Since then we've seen things look better for those slightly further south. So wouldn't read much into it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Is Derbyshire in for some snow tomorrow or has the system gone further north ?

Ashbourne guaranteed snow, its 270m asl, will stay as snow a lot longer than most of midlands, and low levels further north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I think I may be in a good spot tomorrow - working in Mansfield and living in Belper.....

..... for getting caught in traffic disruption, long tailbacks as the snow hits and falls hard from about 2-3 hours before i leave work until about an hour after i am due to finish. If only it could have timed to arrive sooner so it would have meant a day off work to enjoy it lol

Do not understand the posts of this possibly being the last snow of the winter. Models are still showing snow around the end of the month and it is only mid-Feb. It can still snow in April!!!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

I'm with you on that CH. Snow to Rain event don't do it for me.

Maybe you should look at it this way, if it is going to breakdown, wouldn't you rather have a dramatic snowy breakdown than a pathetic slow easing away of the cold and nothing? Seen that type numerous times over the last 20 years, pretty good cold spells ending on a pathetic and wimpish note.

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Sorry Supacell just seen your post about tomorrows weather . Where abouts are you 8 miles north or south ?

8 miles east in Belper. You should be fine for a good few hours of snow from late morning on into the evening i would have thought. (Actually its more like 10 miles lol)

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Maybe you should look at it this way, if it is going to breakdown, wouldn't you rather have a dramatic snowy breakdown than a pathetic slow easing away of the cold and nothing? Seen that type numerous times over the last 20 years, pretty good cold spells ending on a pathetic and wimpish note.

I would, 25th Jan was decent here, but not as good as you guys oop norf!

Posted

the last cold spell ended pathetic and wimpish . Heavy snow forecast , what we got was heavy rain. I see no different for the next one.

Posted

the last cold spell ended pathetic and wimpish . Heavy snow forecast , what we got was heavy rain. I see no different for the next one.

The gfs had me down for rain then and was right. This time snow so hopefully be right again

ECM ensures winters over posts are on hold for the time being sticking with a cold/ very cold outlook.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think I may be in a good spot tomorrow - working in Mansfield and living in Belper.....

..... for getting caught in traffic disruption, long tailbacks as the snow hits and falls hard from about 2-3 hours before i leave work until about an hour after i am due to finish. If only it could have timed to arrive sooner so it would have meant a day off work to enjoy it lol

Do not understand the posts of this possibly being the last snow of the winter. Models are still showing snow around the end of the month and it is only mid-Feb. It can still snow in April!!!

And May/June!!!rofl.gif

Posted

those charts posted by backtrack very promising, looks very similar to Feb 4th last year, only thing the snow may not happen is the meto warnings non existant, even though bbc give me 3 hours of heavy snow

FAX charts develop a front ahead of the main front, first front snow, 2nd front snow, then we are in a warm sector, 3rd front all rain mild

Bloody hell where did that extra front come out from!maybe thats what enhances the precipitation!'dont u think the last front could be snow aswell especially cos theres cold 850s undercutting that front and the winds are a lot lighter!!

Posted

Bloody hell where did that extra front come out from!maybe thats what enhances the precipitation!'dont u think the last front could be snow aswell especially cos theres cold 850s undercutting that front and the winds are a lot lighter!!

as things stand shaky i really dont think it will be snow, just the angle will knock the block out the way with ease regardless of the 850's, dps or anything, maybe half an hour if we survive the first two and its sunk further south, p.s @gimmesomesnow can you post a pic of fax as im on phone

Posted

So you have no complaints then because you don't like snow to rain events..............

none whatsoever. Also you said would you not like a dramatic breakdown? The MetO are going for 2-4cm not very dramatic is it? Edited by lancs_northants

Posted

That's just over the hill Supacell lol only went there the other day to robeys x

I bet you were buying a fireplace weren't you? You may need it tomorrow with your altitude and position on the edge of the Peak District smile.png

How did Ashbourne do in the January cold spell? Belper had about 10-15cm on the higher parts, but I was up around Wirksworth and Buxton and they had around 30-40cm in some areas.

Anyweather, you are correct on that one. I have seen snow in May whilst walking on the tops of the Peaks and round here most people know of the infamous snowfall in Buxton that caused a cricket match to be cancelled.... in June (June 1975)! By that time I am wanting warmth and thunderstorms though!

Edited by Supacell

Posted

The only crap thing about tommorow is i'm stuck in a windowless office all day.

Going to have to make a few excuses to head outside smile.png

I have a big window. Just go out but always make sure you are carrying a file or folder, then if a boss sees you he won't think 'why is he not at his desk ?' He will think 'he's going somewhere with something'.

Anyway, could be interesting for two or three hours, I would expect the heaviest PPN to be in the North of the region, as is usually the case with the Low positioned where it is with a vertical alignment.

Posted

should be great tommorrow here, in Matlock at 8.00am, then Bakewell. move on to pm appointments in Tideswell and Hathersage, thats if i can get there because of ther snow.

ha ha. Might even drop into Ashbourne.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Is stoke going to be hit bad

2-3 cm a possibility

C,S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

none whatsoever. Also you said would you not like a dramatic breakdown? The MetO are going for 2-4cm not very dramatic is it?

Guys and girls this time of year we start to run out of deep deep cold so we have to take what we can get when regards to the white stuff

snow to rain - rain to snow - big flakes - small flakes JUST KEEP FALLING OUT OF THAT SKY and ill be happy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

I have a big window. Just go out but always make sure you are carrying a file or folder, then if a boss sees you he won't think 'why is he not at his desk ?' He will think 'he's going somewhere with something'.

Anyway, could be interesting for two or three hours, I would expect the heaviest PPN to be in the North of the region, as is usually the case with the Low positioned where it is with a vertical alignment.

Well I work as an IT support engineer for the IT Department, so I am always around the office or warehouse fixing anything IT related from Phones to PC's to Servers. So I can pretty much get up and walk off and come back 2 hours later and no one would think anything of it really as that is the nature of my job.

And my boss is pretty cool, he won't really mind smile.png

Edited by kmanmx