Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 21st February 2013 18:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I'll give you a clue....... biggrin.png My old user name was a storm cloud..... unknw.gif

My present screen name will be changed soon anyway...... was a bit of business promoting for what has been a complete flop....... excuse the pun laugh.png

NH

Mammatus?

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I'll give you a clue....... biggrin.png My old user name was a storm cloud..... unknw.gif

My present screen name will be changed soon anyway...... was a bit of business promoting for what has been a complete flop....... excuse the pun laugh.png

NH

Well your pun has almost made me PMSL - thankfully I am just about too young for that to happen laugh.png

Anyway, back to the odd snow flake wafting in the light of a lamp post tonight...

Posted

Yes, good memory there Sno... good.gifdrinks.gif

Hehe, good to see you again! Shame that everything has flopped for you... age does have it's problems eh? wink.png

Onwards and upwards!!!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I gave up when people started using teleconnections as the flavour of the month yet they were never born out as a serious long range forecasting tool I felt. I get +NAO -NAO and stratospheric warming as indicators, but I don't like show offs - and I can't compete with them. Its nice to retreat to these regional threads. Shame the Midlands one is dead.

Couldn't disagree more about teleconnections. I have an awful lot of respect for people that use those signals and can fully understand them and the various relationships between them. Its the future of forecasting (alongside nwp) and while its still pretty much in its infancy, without people like gp, chiono, brickfielder etc it would never progress.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms

Hehe, good to see you again! Shame that everything has flopped for you... age does have it's problems eh? wink.png

Onwards and upwards!!!

Lol.....biggrin.png Likewise! Certainly does..... I'm no spring chicken anymore Sno....cray.gif

NH Mammatusrofl.gif

Posted

Well, according to the latest radar, the ppn in EA is fizzling out, but the small band of ppn brushing the Kent coast is now building, with some signs of something trying to form in the Thames Estuary.

Lol.....biggrin.png Likewise! Certainly does..... I'm no spring chicken anymore Sno....cray.gif

NH Mammatusrofl.gif

It's all in the head... your as old as you feel!! (Famous last words eh?)

Posted

Couldn't disagree more about teleconnections. I have an awful lot of respect for people that use those signals and can fully understand them and the various relationships between them. Its the future of forecasting (alongside nwp) and while its still pretty much in its infancy, without people like gp, chiono, brickfielder etc it would never progress.

If its progressed then fair comment. I'm a Geophysicist, so in my industry there is stuff from ten years ago that wasn't viable - because of the computational restraints and signal/noise limits which are realised now. I should take another look, but when it was first being used as a tool it seemed a bit hit and miss. Thanks for the heads up, because I always read Brickfielder's comments with interest.

Guest bjaykent

control run also shows a tad chilly

gens-0-2-264.png?18

another interesting one

laugh.png

Keep this up John and you will make it snow on my Birthday. Can I bank now please!

Posted

control run also shows a tad chilly

another interesting one

Only if you are a Penguin :) I fly to the US this Sunday and every time I fly there is always a bit of snow either before or after - this time looks like afters.

By the way - I am certain of a super hot met office style barbeque summer this year :) Or at least what a barbeque summer should actually be like

heat waves a-plenty - I can feel it already - yeah acute.gif

Posted

If its progressed then fair comment. I'm a Geophysicist, so in my industry there is stuff from ten years ago that wasn't viable - because of the computational restraints and signal/noise limits which are realised now. I should take another look, but when it was first being used as a tool it seemed a bit hit and miss. Thanks for the heads up, because I always read Brickfielder's comments with interest.

I think it is still rather hit and miss, but that's probably more down to us not understanding all the different variables (as well as the restraints u mention in your own field). We know a lot (I should say they know a lot, because I don't) but there's a lot more variables at play to understand, some of which we don't even know exist yet. But taking the strat for example, I believe the 2009/10 endorsement by the metoffice of strat influences on nh weather patterns is testament to the hard work of many individuals who pioneer this type of research and experimentation.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

Posted

Currently outside source bar in Maidstone odd flake falling!

I'll have a jd & coke pls Steve!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Currently outside source bar in Maidstone odd flake falling!

Clubbing for student night on a Thursday Steve? I know that bar rather well haha. I'm stuck at work in Lewisham until 5pm tomorrow so am hoping the main shower activity if any waits until I'm back from London! Could the north west Kent region for once be in the sweet spot come Saturday as one of the precip charts that someone put up earlier showed us under a possible streamer? My betting is medway will be better placed than us due to a more strait northeasterly

Posted

The south coast seems to be fairing quite well at the moment according to radar ?

There's a few big flakes blowing around in the wind :-)

Posted

Building slowly in the Thames Estuary and off the East Kent coast:

post-2587-0-93592400-1361494981_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

What's next the ..Ice cube scandal.. "fresh snow found in ice cubes"

Ok just been reading some earlier posts, off to read some more to catch up!

edit..actually going to read the latest ones first can't wait!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm