Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 4th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Still lots of uncertainty, but enough for people to start showing reasonable interest again. smile.png It'd be interesting if there was a prolonged period of snow embedded in this colder weather.

I'll have to get that Snow Depth Cup thingy out again, thought I'd buried it for the season! It was only Lottie that managed to scrape through, in the last round!

All those rearranged replays!help.gif

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

I have been in my happy little place out in the garden. My budding plants will be attacked by Jack Frost! cray.gif

yup nearly lost my virginia creeper last year and it wasnt even that cold! its the strength of the warm morning sun shining on frozen plants thats the real problem this time of year (rather than depth of frost)

gonna spend this weekend protecting all my babies outside!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yes Steve, will look like a fruitloop wrapping my plants in newspaper laugh.png

Will look very sensible once the weather turns and others may watch for the next time and do it themselves.

Posted

nearly lost my virginia creeper last year

Lost mine years and years ago.... :whistling:

Guest bjaykent

NO NO NO

I have been in my happy little place out in the garden. My budding plants will be attacked by Jack Frost! cray.gif

BTW cloudy and mild today. Quite pleasant smile.png

Hi Jan, yes I have enjoyed a couple of days pottering around my garden but difficult to ignore once Meto give out warningscold.gif

Posted

I'm sure I've asked this before, but I can't find it.

Is there an idiots guide to understanding some of the charts posted here? I've looked in the learning section, but still don't really get it.

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/book/export/html/214

i will test you later biggrin.png

Posted

Although we are still a way from knowing any specific detail about Sunday onwards, I'm quite excited at the prospect of a chance of something white and Wintry on the horizon. Funny how many people shut the door on possibilities when Spring officially started but as I said recently, nature doesn't flow by the names humans give seasons.

12z runs out in an hour or so and they can add some more to the complex jigsaw. Good to see some cross-model agreement at the moment and that the Met O are giving an early heads up, which we know is quite rare given their obvious National remit and responsibility, which would make any individual or organisation cautious.

I see there are several mentions around the forum of the weight of things being to the North / East, I think at this stage that looks about right, but don't dismiss chances for the East of our region just yet. As ever +48 hours for a bit more detail, +24 hours to turn out the shed out looking for the sledge you'd packed away in February and +6 hours to change your undies after all the excitement!!!!!

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

It will be fab to see snow, I love it, it's just a pain to protect all my lovely plants.

Then of course there's the heating bill..........................

Definitely the biggest downside for me is my heating bill. :( I'd be happy for people to have as much snow as they like next week and for myself to come back from my holiday just as it's all finished to be honest. :)

Posted

Definitely the biggest downside for me is my heating bill. sad.png I'd be happy for people to have as much snow as they like next week and for myself to come back from my holiday just as it's all finished to be honest. smile.png

We'll save you some in the freezer!

Posted

Although we are still a way from knowing any specific detail about Sunday onwards, I'm quite excited at the prospect of a chance of something white and Wintry on the horizon. Funny how many people shut the door on possibilities when Spring officially started but as I said recently, nature doesn't flow by the names humans give seasons.

12z runs out in an hour or so and they can add some more to the complex jigsaw. Good to see some cross-model agreement at the moment and that the Met O are giving an early heads up, which we know is quite rare given their obvious National remit and responsibility, which would make any individual or organisation cautious.

I see there are several mentions around the forum of the weight of things being to the North / East, I think at this stage that looks about right, but don't dismiss chances for the East of our region just yet. As ever +48 hours for a bit more detail, +24 hours to turn out the shed out looking for the sledge you'd packed away in February and +6 hours to change your undies after all the excitement!!!!!

gfs-0-144.png?6

gfs-1-144.png?6

gfs-2-144.png?6

if like this coast it should keep most of our region content

not predicting snowfall areas and amounts yet though

i am not that madrofl.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Definitely the biggest downside for me is my heating bill. sad.png I'd be happy for people to have as much snow as they like next week and for myself to come back from my holiday just as it's all finished to be honest. smile.png

I'd be happy for people somewhere else to have as much snow as they like next week...

......just not in MK doh.gif

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

PPVL89.gif?31415

not sure if this has been noted

for saturday 12z

this mornings updated fax shows 1 clean low now and not 2 as per last night

it should allow the low to go east easier and is more on line with ecm

ECM1-72.GIF?06-12

hopefully tonight will be more clearer re next week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

So this Snow/cold event is really on the cards then blimey ... although after the last few damp squib events i would hold me breath!

Posted

So this Snow/cold event is really on the cards then blimey ... although after the last few damp squib events i would hold me breath!

It is currently looking positive for snow in parts of the UK, but how much will make it to our region (and stick around) is totally up for grabs at the moment. The building blocks are in place and that starts with some cold from Sunday lunchtime onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Yes Steve, will look like a fruitloop wrapping my plants in newspaper laugh.png

My more tender palm trees will spending a bit longer in the conservatory I thinkcold.gif

Posted

Corking 12z GFS run so far, pulling everything forward by a few hours if it came off like this output:

96_20.gif

102_20.gif

Look how many thunderstorms are forecast to kick off over Southern Europe as well.

A few cms for the Northern part of our region is a nice start:

102_34.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Just out of interest..

I'm currently in the process of moving from Strood down to Leeds Village (just SE of Maidstone) and will be done by this weekend. Which area usually fairs better for snow? Leeds Village is higher by about 200 feet from where I currently am.

Posted

Wouldn't this make some lovely lamppost watching along the South coast?

108_20.gif

Until you got so tired by morning!! :lol:

114_20.gif

120_20.gif

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Just out of interest..

I'm currently in the process of moving from Strood down to Leeds Village (just SE of Maidstone) and will be done by this weekend. Which area usually fairs better for snow? Leeds Village is higher by about 200 feet from where I currently am.

I live between Lenham & Charing ( about 9 miles from Leeds Village ) and we usually do pretty well when any snow hits Kent & the SE. There usually seems to be snow at Leeds Castle whenever we get any at home. You will notice that 5 miles makes a huge difference in this part of kent and the higher elevation the better ( we are approx 100m or so here ). Often known there be a good covering of snow at home or up on charing hill ( 190m ), and yet nothing at all nearer to Ashford or towards the other way, Maidstone. I reckon you have chosen pretty well with regards snow in this part of the world, but even better would be to get up on top of the downs though property prices can be a bit steep :)

Posted

Personally I am not looking forward to another cold snap, but since it now seems pretty much nailed on, I hope it at least produces something worth waiting for. Snow at the very least, but some serious convection would be a nice bonus. Am I right in thinking the potential is there ?

Posted

Am I right in thinking the potential is there ?

Could be, although the SkewT for London we were looking at earlier showed nothing but then I'm not surprised, as this could be something that may become apparent on Saturday. I'll be checking and posting for guidance/discussion as and when.

Looking at the free atmosphere overview for London, conditions look less favourable for convection (bottom set of lines on the graph) over the period we are currently thinking about. More data closer to the time I think.

MU_London_avn.png

Edited by Coast

Posted

Here we go again for maybe our last cold chase of the winter,unless another reload is possible.Could be the best spell of the winter as it stands at the moment.Some fantastic looking outcomes so far,with some long fetching tight east winds.Maybe our Thames Streamer will be more realistic this time round.Hope so. smile.png

Posted

Oh God!!.. i wanted to get out and sort the garden out next week, mind you seen more white easters then xmas's.. so doesnt surprise me rolleyes.gif