Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 4th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Hottest day of the year to be followed by snow

Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts as the winter will return in the next few days with snow showers across parts of the country.

Top temperatures reached 17.5C on Tuesday, the warmest day of the year so far and 7C warmer than average for this time of year as winds blew in from north Africa. The top temperature was 17.5C in Trawscoed in west Wales. It was 16.8C in London. Ice cream kiosks opened on the south coast as Bournemouth and Brighton reported increasing numbers of people coming to the beach.

But don’t pack away the winter woolies just yet. The weather will start to cool from Wednesday to daytime highs of around 10 or 12C and rain in the north and west. The weekend will be cold, with maximum temperatures of just 7C and outbreaks of rain and drizzle. By next week winds will be blowing in from the Arctic again, bringing colder air and snow to the north and east. Overnight frost could kill off flowers that came out earlier in the warm spring weather this week.

The snow could get worse as the week progresses with more wintry weather right into March. Sarah Holland of the Met Office, said the spring weather will not last. “The mild theme will continue for the next few days - but there will be a gradual change with more cloud and light rain, but possible sunny spells at times in the South-East. “The weekend will be mostly cloudy with spells of rain and drizzle affecting many and snow likely across higher ground of Scotland. “It will turn colder in northern areas on Monday with an increasing risk of snow falling to lower-levels, with much colder conditions nationwide from Tuesday with snow showers increasingly affecting the North and East and perhaps coastal areas in the West. “Rain, sleet or hill snow is possible further south, with risk of snow to lower-levels across central Britain.â€

The Met Office said March 20 to April 3 - including Easter - would see “most areas likely to be colder than average, with an easterly influence most probable.â€

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9911226/Hottest-day-of-the-year-to-be-followed-by-snow.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Morning. Where's the sun gone?! Last few days have been wonderful. Reached 16C/61F here yesterday, lovely. Just had a butchers through the charts this morning and my eyes nearly popped out of my head...freezing cold and snow?! Is this likely to occur?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning. Where's the sun gone?! Last few days have been wonderful. Reached 16C/61F here yesterday, lovely. Just had a butchers through the charts this morning and my eyes nearly popped out of my head...freezing cold and snow?! Is this likely to occur?

Yep, for a couple of days early next week.

Morning all. :)

Cloudy and mildish here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I hope we have a clear night on Thursday. I'm so excited about appearance of PanStarrs comet. From what I've been reading it should be visible to the naked eye in the West and then later in the month it will be in the East. Plus, another one is due in our Solar System in November. :D

post-17085-0-63438300-1362562503_thumb.j

Edited by Keraunophile

Posted

I hope we have a clear night on Thursday. I'm so excited about appearance of PanStarrs comet. From what I've been reading it should be visible to the naked eye in the West and then later in the month it will be in the East. Plus, another one is due in our Solar System in November. biggrin.png

I might have a good chance next week, as I'll be a fair bit south of the UK.

Maybe we should organise a SE Netweather gathering, on a clear night in the next month somewhere locally, when the comet should be visible (and definitely visible with binoculars) - said only mildly in jest... smile.pngunsure.png

Posted

on a clear night in the next month

You've got more chance of Justin Bieber turning up on time....... :whistling:

Posted

You've got more chance of Justin Bieber turning up on time....... whistling.gif

Maybe, but I'd never want to meet him. laugh.png

Posted

Brightening here now. Maybe a pretty decent afternoon coming up?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Thats some pretty mean looking charts coming up for next week!

Birthday snow for me? :-)

Posted

Thats some pretty mean looking charts coming up for next week!

Birthday snow for me? :-)

Possibly, but I'm hoping the worst of the snow will be through by then; I'm landing back at Gatwick then, so don't want any hassle with that (selfish, aren't I?blush.png )

Posted

This mornings GFS run out now and as it's playing ball with the other models, I'll use the simple format from Wetter3 to show you what it's predicting:

102_20.gif

It looks good at the edges of the region:

108_20.gif

132_20.gif

138_20.gif

Tuesday is quiet, but then on Wednesday:

162_20.gif

Better get your Winter woolies out again, the best temperatures on Monday are going to be a shock after this week:

120_31.gif

126_31.gif

132_31.gif

Dew points are way down there:

126_32.gif

Encouraging trends to be followed and thought about...

Posted

Hi GFS 0.5 (6z) for Monday 1pm, will be very cold - if it's right!

http://www.meteociel...indchill/3h.htm

Yes, I looked at the ensembles earlier. Possibly a freezing day (or two) for many if the scenario plays out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hope you all have a great 'hump day'. (Wednesday is hump day) biggrin.png as in its the middle of the week. I'm not being erm...rude. ohmy.png

Oh really...I've heard it called a few things but never that smile.png

Maybe we should organise a SE Netweather gathering, on a clear night in the next month somewhere locally, when the comet should be visible (and definitely visible with binoculars) - said only mildly in jest... smile.pngunsure.png

Not a bad idea....where were you thinking of ? Maybe someone has a telescope they would like to bring along but if it's cloudy we can just have a drink anyway !

It's bound to snow in MK on Monday....it's the day I pick up my new car, it's first time for 5 years that I won't be driving a 4x4 as well nonono.gif

Guest bjaykent

This mornings GFS run out now and as it's playing ball with the other models, I'll use the simple format from Wetter3 to show you what it's predicting:

Better get your Winter woolies out again, the best temperatures on Monday are going to be a shock after this week:

Hi Coast, sorry for the slight duplication, I was busy copying GFS 0.5 images when you put your charts up. Certainly would be a March snow to remember if it verifies! Edited by bjaykent

Posted

Oh really...I've heard it called a few things but never that smile.png

Not a bad idea....where were you thinking of ? Maybe someone has a telescope they would like to bring along but if it's cloudy we can just have a drink anyway !

It's bound to snow in MK on Monday....it's the day I pick up my new car, it's first time for 5 years that I won't be driving a 4x4 as well nonono.gif

I (personally) reckon simple binoculars would be better for this purpose. Maybe look at likely weather from a few days out and then organise when it looks good? We have a window of a few weeks, I think.

Posted

Hi Coast, sorry for the slight duplication, I was busy copying GFS 0.5 images when you put your charts up. Certainly would be a March snow to remember if it verifies!

No worries, can't have too much info at the moment!

Posted

Well on Monday we were forecast rain today and the sun has just broken out so shorts are still on

If they can't forecast 2 days ahead what's to say they won't be wrong about next week ?

Posted

Well on Monday we were forecast rain today and the sun has just broken out so shorts are still on

If they can't forecast 2 days ahead what's to say they won't be wrong about next week ?

I think pretty well all posts have this big caveat... :)

Guest bjaykent

No worries, can't have too much info at the moment!

As nice or horrible depending on your point of view it looks, I still view it with caution especially when you see the UKMO although slightly moving towards ECM today still really having none of it in this time scale. With UKMO the cold would probably get here eventually but not at the start of next week like the ECM and in particular the GFS. Still a waiting game for me.

Posted

On the sources I was looking at the rain doesn't arrive until later today/early tomorrow. I guess it's all down to where you get the information and how you treat it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I might have a good chance next week, as I'll be a fair bit south of the UK.

Brilliant idea, Steve. I'd be up for it. Anyway, I hope you get a good view of the comet while you're away. :)