Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 10/03/13 17z---->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Heaviest snowfall of the morning now, flakes a much bigger, no let up.

Train on fire, not heard that one, wow.

Its go stuck on morton bridge in sandown and by the sounds of it , it overheated trying to move through the snow and caught on fire...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Put some pictures up later Fitzwis if you get a chance please. clapping.gif

Goes without saying. I think your island may well be making the headlines later on today. A proper snowfest for your shores. drinks.gif

Yes, I would say we have an outside chance of a few more snowflakes to add to yesterdays snizzle. I don't expect anything other than that though, to be fair.

Will do and yeah, a snowfest indeed. Many of our roads are now becoming treacherous and almost all of our public transport has stopped.

Edited by Fitzwis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Is Poole likely to get anymore heavier snow do you think?

You are positioned right on the edge of the precipitation band and there you will remain for a few hours yet. Some more but nothing substantial would be my bet.

Has the snow chance vanished for Cornwall now?

Yes, sadly I believe it has for now, bar the odd shower here and there.

Posted

You are positioned right on the edge of the precipitation band and there you will remain for a few hours yet. Some more but nothing substantial would be my bet.

Yes, sadly I believe it has for now, bar the odd shower here and there.

Oh well, as they say there is always next winter!!!

Posted

met office just updated us for heavy snow through to early afternoon

still snowing here, flakes a bit larger and settling very lightly

wind gusts picking up a bit too.

Posted

Does anyone think Southampton will get some nice big juicy flakes anytime soon? Are we in a good position? :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Does anyone think Southampton will get some nice big juicy flakes anytime soon? Are we in a good position? :-)

Here's my take on things, based on looking at the radar.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76099-south-west-central-southern-england-regional-discussion-100313-17z/page__st__700#entry2635894

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

It's really fine here in Portsmouth. All the roads are really wet so no chance of it laying :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Met office have updated me to heavy snow but looking at the radar it just seems light ? Or am I reading it wrong ? I'm on Portland dorset :@)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

That wind is just pure evil. Took the dogs out across the fields and we are completely exposed here. The wind stung my face and was so painful. I'm now back and feel like I’ve been to have a tooth extracted but the dentist has been trigger-happy with his anaesthetic. I'm suppose to be doing house work (my son's 18th was on saturday, so house is a bomb site) but am trying to get the feeling back in my face with a hot cup of coffee. temp is up to 1.3c. I can cope with cold but I can't bear that wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

GO!!! Channel Islands!!! Although missing out on the snow here this time, I am really pleased to see Jersey etc getting a proper snowstorm! It must be a very rare occurrence down there, bet the kids (and big kids) are going to have some fun when conditions let up a bit.

Posted

Met office have updated me to heavy snow but looking at the radar it just seems light ? Or am I reading it wrong ? I'm on Portland dorset :@)

As I saying to Andy in Poole earlier, I think this would sum up your chances.

Posted

Which way on the radar is the precip heading?

Can't you just run the animation yourself and work it out? blum.gif

Anyhows, here's a post from earlier re: the same query so you are NOT the only one confused. air_kiss.gif

http://forum.netweat...00#entry2635902

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

GO!!! Channel Islands!!! Although missing out on the snow here this time, I am really pleased to see Jersey etc getting a proper snowstorm! It must be a very rare occurrence down there, bet the kids (and big kids) are going to have some fun when conditions let up a bit.

Near whiteout here now - current temp: 0.0C

Posted

Had light snow showers this morning for a few hours but sun shining through now.

Dont suppose I'll see anymore but I love the wind and the chill it brings, but that's easily said because I'm tucked up in my lounge. I really feel for all you guys who have to work outside today, a snow dance might warm you up :0)

Great to hear the Channel Islands are doing so well. They're more snow starved than us Devonians, some very happy kiddies I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Winters not done yet, GEFS has it staying chilly or cold all month.

Although most of the peturbations from the 17th onwards stay below the average, it is nowhere near what we have now.

The ensembles are definitely bringing in the cold rain scenario's.

post-15177-0-78304100-1363000873_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

This is one of the most bizarre weather events I've seen Britain have, and I'm not there! Perfect conditions for snow, yet the nearer the coast you are the more likely you are to have snow! All that snow is being wasted on the English Channel lol. I suppose the next glimpse of hope is if it stays cold all week and a classic battleground miraculously appears whenever the Atlantic tries to make inroads.

Enjoy the snow, those who have it. I don't envy those who have to put up with just the wind at all!

Posted

Snow getting heavier all the time and sky looking darker. Must be getting on for an inch on surfaces (apart from roads which are still clear, but if this keeps up I would expect them to go white before too long). Can't believe there's no amber warning, looking at the radar this could go on a while.

Posted

Congrats to Channel Islands. Got to say I'm gutted for S coast, this would have been incredible if the low had come through the channel rather than the Loire valley. Conditions in Locks Heath perfect for snow, DP -7, air temp -2! Bit of light snow all morning, but nothing exciting.

People of Guernsey & Jersey send us your pics...

Posted

Weather: the snow is here to stay

Britain woke to snow this morning, as forecasters warned of bitterly cold temperatures and gale force winds.

After a brief respite when it felt that spring had finally sprung the cold weather is back to stay, with snow showers set to last throughout the week. Several centimetres have already settled in the eastern parts of the country, including the North East, Lancashire, and East Anglia. The South will be the worst hit by the temperatures, as gale force winds reach speeds of 50mph.

The return to the wintry conditions is expected to cause disruption throughout today and tomorrow.

This morning Jersey Airport was shut due to snow, and on the roads there were hazardous conditions on many major routes. Blizzard conditions were reported on the M40 in Warwickshire and there were numerous rush-hour accidents. The A69 and A6 in Cumbria and on the A54 in Cheshire were also hit and in Sussex, police said there had been "a number" of crashes caused by the snowy conditions as they warned motorists to take extra care on the roads. One lane of the M48 Severn Bridge was closed and falling trees blocked some Welsh roads. Some of the roads where driving conditions were at their worst today included the A46 in Nottinghamshire, the A14 in Suffolk and the A353 in Dorset. Fallen trees blocked roads in Newquay in Cornwall and in Lynton in Devon.

On the trains, poor rail conditions led to delays in Sussex and Hampshire, while there was also a number of signalling problems.

A signalling problem caused delays between Moorgate and Finsbury Park in north London, while another led to hold-ups in the Carstairs area of Scotland, which affected services run by five companies - CrossCountry, East Coast, First TransPennine Express, ScotRail and Virgin Trains, At Aldermaston in Berkshire, a lineside equipment problem caused delays to train services between Newbury, while a signalling problem meant there were hold-ups for Greater Anglia passengers between Lowestoft and Ipswich.

On the Isle of Wight the bad weather meant no rail services were operating between Shanklin and Ryde Pier Head, with minibuses running instead. On the mainland, signalling problems in the Portsmouth Harbour area and poor rail conditions between Havant in Hampshire and Pulborough in West Sussex meant delays for London-bound commuters. Condor Ferries services between Jersey and St Malo were affected by the bad weather.

Met Office forecaster Helen Roberts said: “There is nowhere that will definitely avoid snow showers, but they will be most frequent in the East. “The main feel of today is going to be bitterly cold, especially across the South where we will see gale force winds.â€

The mercury will struggle to get above zero and is expected to drop to around minus 5C tonight, bringing widespread frost across the country. The arrival of snow and freezing temperatures is not only expected to cause havoc on the roads but also in the trees, as birds who have recently returned to Britain expecting springtime weather struggle with the surprise cold snap.

The Met Office has issued an amber warning of snow in the south west and yellow warnings across east Scotland and England and in the southern regions, urging the public to be prepared for disruption. It should get slightly warmer throughout the week, but snow showers are expected to continue across most of the country and the temperatures will remain well below March averages of around 9C. And there is no end to the cold snap in sight. Ms Roberts said: “The trend looks like it does tend to remain in the cold side then becomes more unsettled.â€

Although the snow and sleet will continue, it is unlikely to settle in many areas as the patchy showers are melted by the strong mid-March sun, the forecaster said. The weather is an unwelcome surprise for birds who returned from Africa expecting mild weather.

Grahame Madge, a spokesman for the RSPB, said sand martins are already arriving will face "very hard conditions".

He said: "They are going to come back and find that there's no food." The cold weather will also kill off any insects that have emerged, therefore leaving insect-eating birds hungry. "There's a limit to the amount people can do. We would ask people to carry on putting food out. For birds that rely on insects there's really nothing people can do," Mr Madge said.

Although forecasters could not comment on the likelihood of a white Easter due to it being too far ahead, Ladbrokes said they were forced to slash the odds of snow reappearing across Easter weekend. Yesterday the odds of snow falling in any major city were even, and there's a 4/1 chance it is the coldest Easter on record, Ladbrokes said. Jessica Bridge, spokeswoman for Ladbrokes, said: "The odds of snow falling over Easter are dropping as quick as the temperatures. "Only a week ago the UK was basking in the sunshine but there's no chance that this month will be the warmest March on record now."

Motoring services firm RAC said it expects potential breakdowns to increase by 20% over the next few days and have an increased number of patrols planned.The firm said motorists should "proceed with caution".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9921676/Weather-the-snow-is-here-to-stay.html

Posted

Still weenie light flakes in Romsey, and the sky is brightening...two hours of staring out and willing it to snow has made no difference!