Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Climate Change In The News - Spring 2013

Paul

Posted

Keith, the vast majority of the links you post are from people who have no qualifications related to climate change.

He had influence in government that why he gets air time on the BBC.

Posted

He had influence in government that why he gets air time on the BBC.

Indeed, it's frightening that someone with no scientific background in climate science is allowed to dictate what our governments policy should be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Why don't ye two ever complain when "sceptics" with no relevant qualifications get air time?

Posted

Why don't ye two ever complain when "sceptics" with no relevant qualifications get air time?

BFTV, when they are in a position to guide a governments policy then I will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Like having a 'degree', part of it's use is to show that you are asble to read a subject to a certain level. Many folk use their degree merely to show this ability and not to secure work in their chosen field of study.

When folk are appointed to overview climate science (over many discaplines) the ability to read ,absorb and regurgitate the relevant pieces in a coherant way is more useful than being close up and personal in one area of science?

May folk posting in the blog/forum world are 'self taught' but this does not detract from, thier obviuos ability to absorb the science and make sense of where the findings will take us?

On the other hand folk who have decided, prior to reading new data, what their views are lead us to the Monkton/Watts type blinkered disinformation?

Posted

Like having a 'degree', part of it's use is to show that you are asble to read a subject to a certain level. Many folk use their degree merely to show this ability and not to secure work in their chosen field of study.

When folk are appointed to overview climate science (over many discaplines) the ability to read ,absorb and regurgitate the relevant pieces in a coherant way is more useful than being close up and personal in one area of science?

May folk posting in the blog/forum world are 'self taught' but this does not detract from, thier obviuos ability to absorb the science and make sense of where the findings will take us?

On the other hand folk who have decided, prior to reading new data, what their views are lead us to the Monkton/Watts type blinkered disinformation?

With all due respect I could have a degree in flower arranging but would that make me capable of advising government policy on fiscal matters?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So it's just coincidence that Gideon's family has interests in those wishing to frack the British countryside into one giant slag heap, then? Blimey, even the people within government haven't the faintest idea!

And as for Monckton & Co; I presume that they're all financed out of ever-increasing energy costs? In other words, we're all paying for that, too!

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

So it's just coincidence that Gideon's family has interests in those wishing to frack the British countryside into one giant slag heap, then? Blimey, even the people within government haven't the faintest idea!

And as for Monckton & Co; I presume that they're all financed out of ever-increasing energy costs? In other words, we're all paying for that, too!

Exactly RP. It's amazing (indeed scary) how little our decision makers know about fracking and its consequences. I heard a local Lancashire MP mention the prospect of our county having in the future a landscape of "nodding donkeys'.

It's only when people make an effort to investigate, that the real horror and indeed the leg pull of this industry hits them. And of course its serious impact on climate change seems to be nobody's business. .The industry is dangled as a cure for all our problems by various commentators -- comments slipped in here and there. Alas the Beeb has always to present "balance". which means irresponsible and uninformed people get air time.

Posted

Exactly RP. It's amazing (indeed scary) how little our decision makers know about fracking and its consequences. I heard a local Lancashire MP mention the prospect of our county having in the future a landscape of "nodding donkeys'.

It's only when people make an effort to investigate, that the real horror and indeed the leg pull of this industry hits them. And of course its serious impact on climate change seems to be nobody's business. .The industry is dangled as a cure for all our problems by various commentators -- comments slipped in here and there. Alas the Beeb has always to present "balance". which means irresponsible and uninformed people get air time.

Apart from nuclear it's the only viable solution at this moment in time, no one in their right mind can surely think that wind power is the way forward, or can they.

Posted

BFTV, when they are in a position to guide a governments policy then I will.

He's the chief scientific advisor. His qualifications and research areas are in economics, population biology and sustainable energy. Seems very much suited to the job I think.

Not that the UK government listen to their scientific advisers much. Didn't they fire the chief drug advisor when they didn't like his advice on drugs, particularly cannabis!?

Posted

He's the chief scientific advisor. His qualifications and research areas are in economics, population biology and sustainable energy. Seems very much suited to the job I think.

Not that the UK government listen to their scientific advisers much. Didn't they fire the chief drug advisor when they didn't like his advice on drugs, particularly cannabis!?

He's not an expert in climatology though is he.

Posted

Apart from nuclear it's the only viable solution at this moment in time, no one in their right mind can surely think that wind power is the way forward, or can they.

'Viable' as in lot's of money must be made by a very few, whilst ignoring solar, geothermal, tidal (as of political expediency), or 'viable' as in viable?

Posted

He can't be an expert on every scientific discipline. Besides, does he not speak on behalf of the chief scientific advisers committee too?

Posted

I bet he knows what 2LOT is though. I wonder if the same can be said for Monckton & Co?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

He is supposed to look at the info not be out in the field providing it???

If he is capable of unerstanding the executive synopsis then surely he can pass on the relevant data to those not gifted with the luxury of time in which to gen up in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm if possible but a little snow is nice.

Rybris and rainy, I have been chastised for being disrespectful and a troll on this particular forum so I will try to state the facts only as I see them and apologize if I offended anyone.

Rybris a few questions on your post.

1. "frack the British countryside into one giant slag heap". Without being rude or anything ,where do you get that idea from? Fracking does not result in any such thing and is pretty non invasive and does not destroy the countryside as implied

2. Increasing energy costs are the result of subsidies for wind etc. Power companies have admitted that they have had to pass these costs on to consumers.

I would like to know how you can possibly accuse Monckton& co of profiting or being financed by this(in my opinion only of course) stupid government blunder.

Provide evidence or retract your statement, please.

Posted

Rainy, "

Exactly RP. It's amazing (indeed scary) how little our decision makers know about fracking and its consequences. I heard a local Lancashire MP mention the prospect of our county having in the future a landscape of "nodding donkeys'."

Indeed, nodding donkeys are used to pump oil and have no relation to fracking for natural gas in shale. We should be so lucky to have a landscape of nodding donkeys.

Posted

Rybris and rainy, I have been chastised for being disrespectful and a troll on this particular forum so I will try to state the facts only as I see them and apologize if I offended anyone.

Rybris a few questions on your post.

1. "frack the British countryside into one giant slag heap". Without being rude or anything ,where do you get that idea from? Fracking does not result in any such thing and is pretty non invasive and does not destroy the countryside as implied

2. Increasing energy costs are the result of subsidies for wind etc. Power companies have admitted that they have had to pass these costs on to consumers.

I would like to know how you can possibly accuse Monckton& co of profiting or being financed by this(in my opinion only of course) stupid government blunder.

Provide evidence or retract your statement, please.

And as for Monckton & Co; I presume that they're all financed out of ever-increasing energy costs? is a question. By all means, show the answer to be that it is, in fact, not the case...

Posted

And as for Monckton & Co; I presume that they're all financed out of ever-increasing energy costs? is a question. By all means, show the answer to be that it is, in fact, not the case...

You made an accusation (not a question) that, in my opinion, is totally ludicrous and it falls on you to provide some (any at all) justification for said accusation. It is really easy to point fingers and badmouth folk when you do not agree with them.

Posted

You made an accusation (not a question) that, in my opinion, is totally ludicrous and it falls on you to provide some (any at all) justification for said accusation. It is really easy to point fingers and badmouth folk when you do not agree with them.

No, unless the rules of English grammar have changed, all of a sudden, it is a question...

Posted

Rainy, "

Exactly RP. It's amazing (indeed scary) how little our decision makers know about fracking and its consequences. I heard a local Lancashire MP mention the prospect of our county having in the future a landscape of "nodding donkeys'."

Indeed, nodding donkeys are used to pump oil and have no relation to fracking for natural gas in shale. We should be so lucky to have a landscape of nodding donkeys.

Suggest you go teach the MPs !!!

It's hard work though, but eventually, when the penny drops about the realities of shale gas fracking, their enthusiasm for it wanes.

Admittedly politicians have to know about all sorts -- but they do have aides who should be giving them proper advice.

Another Lancashire MP, who I met last summer, has a constituency partly within the area licensed for exploration. He didn't know the name of the fracking company at work in Lancashire (since 2008 !) , nor anything about the earthquakes. His aide / researcher supposedly watching the shale gas issue, didn't know the difference between conventional and unconventional wells.

Posted

"No, unless the rules of English grammar have changed, all of a sudden, it is a question.."

As for Rybris & co I presume they are all financed by the wind energy industry. In other words we are all paying for that too. Makes more sense than what you said. lol

Posted

"No, unless the rules of English grammar have changed, all of a sudden, it is a question.."

As for Rybris & co I presume they are all financed by the wind energy industry. In other words we are all paying for that too. Makes more sense than what you said. lol

You forgot the '?'...

Definition of scepticism

noun

[mass noun]

• 1a sceptical attitude; doubt as to the truth of something:these claims were treated with scepticism

• <a name="scepticism__5" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none; box-sizing: content-box; cursor: pointer; color: rgb(26, 99, 171);">2 Philosophy the theory that certain knowledge is impossible:Cartesian scepticism

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

I think it's time to bow out of here, as usual the climate forum becomes a slanging match. I'll stick with MOD thread from hereon.