South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:00>

Snowangel-MK

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I went out to walk the dogs at lunchtime and it was sleeting lightly, Then proper light snow most of the afternoon. Nothing settles as there wasn't enough, but it definitely wasn't rain, so with a bit of luck and the right timing and we could be in for it again.

Posted

I went out to walk the dogs at lunchtime and it was sleeting lightly, Then proper light snow most of the afternoon. Nothing settles as there wasn't enough, but it definitely wasn't rain, so with a bit of luck and the right timing and we could be in for it again.

Suffolk defo, kent nil pointe, derbyshire 100%! Damn it i need a holiday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

http://www.weatheron...8-snowstorm.htm

The 1908 snowstorm

by Philip Eden

One of the most outrageous weather events April has ever given us occurred in 1908. Four days of heavy snow hit many parts of southern Britain from the 23rd-26th, while Scotland and northern England endured unprecedentedly severe night frosts. Early on the 24th the mercury sank to -12.8C at Garforth in Yorkshire and at Perth in Scotland and the following morning a reading of -12.2C was logged at Corstophine, near Edinburgh. These remain the latest dates for temperatures below -10C anywhere in the UK.

Snow had already fallen on Easter Day, April 19, then after a milder interlude the first of the prolonged snowstorms hit East Anglia on Thursday 23rd. Newmarket Races were abandoned mid-afternoon, and the following morning snow lay 22cm deep there, and up to 15cm deep elsewhere in the region. Cloudless skies and brilliant sunshine brought a rapid thaw by midday, but clouds gathered again later in the afternoon, and snow set in across southern England during the evening.

A phenomenal blizzard raged all day on the 25th across Wessex, the Thames Valley, and much of the Midlands. In a ferocious snow squall that afternoon the cruiser 'Gladiator' sank in Southampton Water after it was holed following a collision with another vessel. Worst hit by the snowstorm were north Hampshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire, and in the district bounded by Andover, Whitchurch and Kingsclere snow lay over 60cm deep at the end of the storm. Even in the city of Oxford the official observer noted a maximum depth of 42cm, the heaviest snowfall in any month there since February 1888, and not equalled since, while in Southampton the fall amounted to 37cm.

These days, a few centimetres of slush in January seems to be regarded as a freak snowstorm in some sectors of the media; one wonders what they would make of a 60cm fall in April.

With what's potentially becoming a record cold and snowy March for some areas across Britain the above quote about the 1908 snowstorms in April shows what can happen, and it's the setup we have now that can potentially lead to those type of events.

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

My look at the possible snow events for SE/EA.

Watch - Later Thursday heavy rain, perhaps turning to sleet or wet snow overnight into Friday from London northwards(from north London most likely) up into East Anglia highest risk of snow. Friday night and Saturday as cold air fights back down this potentially releasing snow down to low levels across inland SE ( EA highest risk of snow)slight shifts south over the last few days of the fronts indicating this potential for cold air pulled more south=snow more into the S/SE. Zones in a line from Oxford down to Essex and north from there are the higher risk areas over the period of this event Thrs night-Saturday for snowfall. All areas at risk of flooding from local surface water+river and stream floods.

From Sunday turning very cold with potential snowfall from NE/E into and during early next week.

ESS

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Just watched the latest 5.30 BBC NEWS24 forecast, and their graphics havent changed in terms of their 'snow line'. They still think areas north of Birmingham will be favoured for snow, with E.Anglia just seeing rain. :-( I suppose we will just have to wait and see...

Posted

I know Metcheck don't have the best reputation but surely this isn't possible for Farnham,Surrey on Saturday ????

post-11460-0-50742000-1363846258_thumb.p

Edited by cobbett

Posted

Morning all!!

It seems like things are firming up a little more for the next 2/3 days and the part of our region South of the M4/Thames looks to be yucky cold rain, maybe sleet on Friday. Above that (Suffolk and Norfolk mostly) it has some potential for snow tomorrow into Saturday early on, but the boundary isn't totally defined yet and still subject to a bit of wavering. GFS does throw a fly in the ointment on Saturday midday onwards, showing snow right the way down to the South coast - I'm still dubious and want to see the NMM and NAE tomorrow.

Personally I'd like to get this meteorological period out of the way now and crack on with something more seasonal.

36_20.gif

54_20.gif

60_20.gif

66_20.gif

72_20.gif

78_20.gif

84_20.gif

90_20.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

heres one for the guys

crazy.gif

She winked at me !

Guest bjaykent

Some very nice charts again this morning, still looking like later Saturday into Sunday could be our main chance of snow in London and the South-east as the second occluded front becomes slow moving before moving south again.

post-16390-0-89502500-1363851286_thumb.g post-16390-0-80075500-1363851316_thumb.g post-16390-0-06891200-1363852048_thumb.g

Also nice to see now a hint of showers on ecm ppn chart this morning for Tuesday under those cold uppers.

post-16390-0-75356700-1363851484_thumb.p post-16390-0-41491200-1363851568_thumb.g

This is also picked up by GFS0.5 oz as bands of showers of the North sea at this time,

post-16390-0-63472500-1363851788_thumb.g

GFS0.5 0z also going for snow earlier again this morning, as early as 4.00am Saturday morning but not sure I believe this (not showing on NAE charts at 3.00am Saturday this morning).

post-16390-0-85121900-1363851765_thumb.g post-16390-0-04417800-1363851906_thumb.g

Can't say just how impressive these charts are for the time of year will be very cold this weekend and next week with just a sign of things warming up by Easter Saturday!.

Posted

Can't say just how impressive these charts are for the time of year will be very cold this weekend and next week with just a sign of things warming up by Easter Saturday!.

Good, I don't want to get cold on my Easter egg hunt :lol:

Guest bjaykent

Good, I don't want to get cold on my Easter egg hunt laugh.png

Hi Coast, and no bullying the other children to give you their Easter eggs LOL. Might work out quite well, one last decent shot of winter before slight Easter Weekend warm up!blum.gif

Posted

Hi Coast, and no bullying the other children to give you their Easter eggs LOL. Might work out quite well, one last decent shot of winter before slight Easter Weekend warm up!blum.gif

rofl.gif I'm actually not a big choccy eater! This has thrown me this morning:

post-6667-0-81431600-1363852977_thumb.jp

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/static/uk/next3days/snow

You couldn't make up a story like this weeks charts....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Morning all. Severe weather warning just put out on the radio for East Anglia and Northern England for Heavy Disruptive snow from tomorrow.

Posted

Oh well, maybe a re-think is in order. NAE has precip all the away down to the coast on Saturday morning, but what kind will it be?

13032300_2100.gif

13032300_2100.gif

UKMO has quite lot of it over Sussex and more widely over our region, will it be cold enough up where it counts?

13032312_2100.gif

13032312_2100.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

Lovely one here, bit chilly but it was nice to be woken up by sunshine and birdsong for a change ! I've noticed my tulips are in flower as well so even the garden is finally showing signs of spring good.gif

I have a 95% snow risk for the weekend....I'm not sure if I'm excited or not now, I would deffo have been 6-8 weeks ago though !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters
070747Z_21OWS_EUROPE_ANALYSIS_METSAT_00_SFC_METSAT-ANALYSIS.GIF

Posted

Morning all,

Moaning!

Fax chart for Saturday shows the occluded front over much of our region:

PPVI89.png

Is this going to make the difference?

Well it's very touch and go!

60_1.gif

72_1.gif

Guest bjaykent

Moaning!

Fax chart for Saturday shows the occluded front over much of our region:

PPVI89.png

Is this going to make the difference?

Well it's very touch and go!

Hopefully the 2nd slow moving occluded front will bring us some snow later Sat into Sun when the cold uppers have come in, at least I hope so, don't fancy 2 days of cold rain! There is always the chance of showers off the North Sea early next week but as we know from the last lot of snow there's no guarantee that we will all benefit from those! good.gif

Posted

Morning all,

Relatively cloudy here this morning with a minimum of 0.4C overnight.

GFS 0z continuing to hint at a little wintriness during tomorrow morning for some northern areas of the region, though not much in the way of precipitation at this point. Main period of interest is when the front pivots (I think!) during Friday night into Saturday, at the same time bringing the snowline south. GFS 0z brings snow right to the south coast though on the 18z last night kept the snowline north of the M4 corridor. I do think the GFS is quite good at predicting precipitation and I rate it over the NAE model which I don't think has performed that well during the winter just gone. NMM output will be interesting to view too, though it won't be probably until tomorrow evening when we know where the pivot for the precipitation will take place and where the snowline is for example.

Posted

NMM output will be interesting to view too, though it won't be probably until tomorrow evening when we know where the pivot for the precipitation will take place and where the snowline is for example.

Yep, it currently goes to late Friday and shows rain over us a that point, but it's that front that could be make or break into Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Looking forward to this hopefully last throw of the snowy dice at the weekend.... then please can it warm up im off to Devon for Easter..... Plleeeaaasssseeee!!!!! Im done with this cold now!!!! :D