Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 17th March 2013 18:30>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Still snowing this morning and I imagine it has all night but if anything we have less snow now than we did when I went to bed. Big let down here but not a surprise. Hope others are fairing better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

As anticipated, its a Leith mega-TOORP from me. Woke up to the same picture as last night. Snowflakes blowing about in the wind but with no intensity whatsoever. Streets wet, nae lying snaw at all. Radar and sky full of it but local snaw end-product here is precisely zero.

Enjoy your snow folks but its an absolute TOORP non-event here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Couple of pics to illustrate the depths here, elderly neighbours wee red car has taken a good dump of snow. No bingo today !!

post-7292-0-40075800-1363678389_thumb.jppost-7292-0-18539100-1363678406_thumb.jp

Still hammering it down here and really not keen on travelling to work today. i.e sitting in a traffic jam..

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Just woke up and it's snowing but the ground is still wet and even the tops of cars and huts are just wet now

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

crapp non event.

Edited by November13

Posted

As anticipated, its a Leith mega-TOORP from me. Woke up to the same picture as last night. Snowflakes blowing about in the wind but with no intensity whatsoever. Streets wet, nae lying snaw at all. Radar and sky full of it but local snaw end-product here is precisely zero.

Needless to say nothing here either, just a light rain/snow mix, +1.7c. Clearly shaping up into a decent event for those inland/at altitude but just not cold enough for coasties (as yet anyway). Met O have adjusted their forecast to include 'sleety at times on the Fife coast' which wasn't there yesterday...reflecting conditions on the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

My earlier 2cm guestimate from te bedroom window was well off. Just measured 6-7cm in back garden, which aint bad for March I suppose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Same here!

such is life - at least I get to walk to the office over the Meadows doing my Dramatic Russian Heroine impression, all long boots and full skirts flying and big fur hat as the snowflakes whirl around :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I honestly can't tell if there's more snow on the ground then there was last night. There's swirling clouds of snow blowing about and piling up against obstacles but it's certainly not deep anywhere I can see. Seem to have missed the heavier stuff.

Posted

Aye we're more or less in the same boat Hawsey. Frustrating thing is the lack of precipitation intensity here on the coast. There's been no problem with snow falling here since late-afternoon yesterday. But we were done with the sporadic heavy-shower type activity by mid evening last night and since then its just been inconsequential lamp-post type intensity. Its just ugly outside, cold and raw, nowt to show for it.

Yup, definite TOORP from me !

Needless to say nothing here either, just a light rain/snow mix, +1.7c. Clearly shaping up into a decent event for those inland/at altitude but just not cold enough for coasties (as yet anyway). Met O have adjusted their forecast to include 'sleety at times on the Fife coast' which wasn't there yesterday...reflecting conditions on the ground.

Posted

Only hazard you'll have to watch out for then is dog poo !

Same here!

such is life - at least I get to walk to the office over the Meadows doing my Dramatic Russian Heroine impression, all long boots and full skirts flying and big fur hat as the snowflakes whirl around smile.png

The snow is coming down in lumps and drifting nicely now, roads closed all over the place so fingers crossed for another few hours of this and I will not be able to get to work (one, two, three, awwwww!).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

After the night hours still very marginal in the Glen Almond.

Temp. Min. was +0.1C at 01.30. Currently +0.5C/-0.4C (+0.1C/hour) with snow flurries.

Around 3cm on the grass but barely a covering on roads and pavements. A typical March snowfall in these parts.

Posted

Amazing the differences across Edinburgh yet again. A few meters in height really makes so much difference.

Posted

Aye we're more or less in the same boat Hawsey. Frustrating thing is the lack of precipitation intensity here on the coast. There's been no problem with snow falling here since late-afternoon yesterday. But we were done with the sporadic heavy-shower type activity by mid evening last night and since then its just been inconsequential lamp-post type intensity. Its just ugly outside, cold and raw, nowt to show for it.

Yup, definite TOORP from me !

It's been odd how the precip here has been so light yet a mile inland and further in it's seems to rapidly intensify, och well

Posted

Aye, its similar to one of these marginal events a few weeks back (I'm losing track of them now). There was nothing worthwhile here for By-Tor junior, but up to the in-laws at Liberton and he made a great snowman. 10 minutes in the car but inland and 400ft up. Makes a heck of a difference.

Amazing the differences across Edinburgh yet again. A few meters in height really makes so much difference.

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #014

ISSUED: 1200UTC MONDAY 18TH MARCH 2013 (GJ)

SKYWARN UK FORECASTS THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE WEATHER AS FOLLOWS:

HEAVY, LOCALLY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL - EASTERN SCOTLAND, NORTHEAST ENGLAND

IN EFFECT FROM 1200UTC MONDAY 18TH UNTIL 1200UTC TUESDAY 19TH MARCH 2013

OCCLUDED FRONTS WRAPPING AROUND THE NORTH OF A COMPLEX LOW, GENERATING SUCCESSIVE SNOW SHOWERS

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL AND PARTNER AGENCY CONFIDENCE IN THE POSSIBILITY OF A DISRUPTIVE WEATHER RISK THROUGH THE START OF THIS WEEK. THE ESTABLISHED COMPLEX LOW OVER THE UK IS ENCOURAGING OCCLUDED FRONTAL REMNANTS ACROSS THE NORTH, GENERATING A REGIME OF SUCCESSIVE SNOW SHOWERS AND PERSISTENT SNOWFALL INTO THE NORTHEASTERN QUARTER OF THE UK. ACCUMULATIONS LOOK TO EXCEED 10CM OVER HIGH GROUND BY TUESDAY, WITH A CHANCE OF THIS OCCURRING AT LOW LEVELS AND CAUSING WIDESPREAD DISRUPTION, MOST LIKELY AROUND BORDERS AND NORTHUMBERLAND. THIS WATCH MAY BE UPDATED OR UPGRADED. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFO AS NECESSARY.

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Very frustrating because it is definitely snow and has been snow since about 4pm yesterday but it will refuse to lie.

Posted

LS always explains it better but I guess its basic meteorology. Cold moist air forced upwards over a little bit of height and the snow does fall... Nae height here of course so nothing is being "released" despite the radar screaming all the right orange-shades much of the time.

It's been odd how the precip here has been so light yet a mile inland and further in it's seems to rapidly intensify, och well

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Okay up to 11 cms now and looking at NAE projections for the next 48 hrs continued additions expected , before the snow clears Weds midnight.

post-7292-0-51621800-1363680662_thumb.jp