I do like a squall line, its moving at a fair old rate as well good.gif

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

If things get desperate, buy a torch and shine it out an open window... the only downside to that is the neighbours might ring up for the men in white coats... crazy.gif

Anti torch police !!!acute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The roads are completely covered here in a very thick layer of.............grit !

Posted

general downgrade for our region i would say over the last 12 hours. personally 5-10cms seems a general maximum for our part of the world, but thats nonetheless noteworthy in itself I guess!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I've decided se London/nw Kent/swEssex borders has been the snow shield capital this winter- even the met yellow warning for Sunday covers everywhere north and east of here, like in January and February, week before last was all just too far south of us just takes the p***!!! I'm hoping for a nice surprise yet I can foresee a damp squib followed by the umpteenth slush fest of the winter, someone up there send it our way for a change

Edited by Kentspur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

You can see that squall line across Southern England fill out and expand into a band of heavy rain, must be a lot of moisture in this system, there won't be a problem with how much snow we see as it's all back building and front building and middle building you see :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

general downgrade for our region i would say over the last 12 hours. personally 5-10cms seems a general maximum for our part of the world, but thats nonetheless noteworthy in itself I guess!!

Our region? Do you mean Cambridgeshire?

We were never forecast 5-10cms in the SE Corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

You can see that squall line across Southern England fill out and expand into a band of heavy rain, must be a lot of moisture in this system, there won't be a problem with how much snow we see as it's all back building and front building and middle building you see biggrin.png

I see it's a warm front lol, plus temps are already plus 5 here.

Sorry two fronts, a warm front and a cold front, and maybe they will mix the heat out of the warm front hopefully.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

I've decided se London/nw Kent/swEssex borders has been the snow shield capital this winter- even the met yellow warning for Sunday covers everywhere north and east of here, like in January and February, week before last was all just too far south of us just takes the p***!!! I'm hoping for a nice surprise yet I can foresee a damp squib followed by the umpteenth slush fest of the winter, someone up there send it our way for a change

I very much agree. Apart from one particular day in January, we've either been just too far north, too far south, too far east, or too far west. We've had the full shebang and it's looking like a slippery slope again!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

I very much agree. Apart from one particular day in January, we've either been just too far north, too far south, too far east, or too far west. We've had the full shebang and it's looking like a slippery slope again!

It seems we only benefit if anything comes from anywhere between ENE-SE direction doesn't it. The Thames streamer is by far the best for us that in January was good but more moderate snowfall but long lasting

we currently have a hail-snow-sleet shower ongoing here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I've decided se London/nw Kent/swEssex borders has been the snow shield capital this winter- even the met yellow warning for Sunday covers everywhere north and east of here, like in January and February, week before last was all just too far south of us just takes the biscuit. I'm hoping for a nice surprise yet I can foresee a damp squib followed by the umpteenth slush fest of the winter, someone up there send it our way for a change

What has been interesting is that there have been a growing (and still growing) number of cold easterlies this winter/spring but they have all (in this SE region) featured mainly frontal snow events which have been focussed on specific parts of the region each time, rather than convective snow events.

Yes, its true that convective snow by their nature tend to give the most local and hit and miss type of distribution of precipitation, but oddly the frontal snow events this winter have all been unusually very localised due to the specific tracks of the low pressure systems responsible. Usually, and logically, frontal snow gives the most even distribution regionally, but this winter/spring has been quite extra unusual I think in how snowfall has been distributed through this method.

From memory, only the 20th January snowfall, which came up from France, gave the most uniform distribution of snow for most of us in the whole region - but even then there were winners and losers with the east of the region doing better than the west. Two days before, the 18th Jan snowfall struggled to reach the more extreme eastern parts of the region (Kent and Essex) The other week, it was my own more coastal locality that benefited, whilst not much further north missed out altogether. Now, this time around, the role is reversed and the north of the region is in the best position.

I guess for you and the areas you mention, then the Thames streamer through a convective easterly is what you have been looking for. As suggested earlier, the window for opportunity for these (and other streamers) has been there several times, but has mainly flattered to deceive. I guess that might at least partly explain your frustrationsmile.png

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted

Yellow Alert of Snow for London & South East England :

Kent, Medway, Buckinghamshire & Milton Keynes

Yellow Alert of Snow for East of England :

Essex, Thurrock, Southend-on-Sea, Hertfordshire, Central Bedfordshire, Luton, Bedford, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk & Peterborough

Snow will continue to fall across much of the Midlands, E Anglia and SE England on Sunday morning with accumulations of a further 2-5 cm possible, especially on high ground.

The public should be aware of further disruption to travel.

Issued at:

1116 on Fri 22 Mar 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Sun 24 Mar 2013

Valid to:

1200 on Sun 24 Mar 2013

Although gradually weakening, a weather front will continue to bring further snow to many parts of the Midlands and SE England, before finally dying out towards the end of Sunday morning.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=9889B24C-65BA-8AC1-B8FA-91AF8C76D43B_1_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&fcTime=1363910400

post-10773-0-15368300-1363955081_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

March 22nd and we are going to see February type snowfall, incredible!!

Posted

I must be missing something....Just seen the latest BBC forecast, and listened to various comments....but I just cant see where the snow this evening and overnight is coming from here in Cambs and surrounding regions.

Ive just watched the radar slides and all the heavy ppn has moved NW up and into the Irish sea.

They keep saying 'if anything the band of snow will slip south into EA later and through tomorrow..?

Can someone enlighten me as to where from and how they think this is going to happen. ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

March 22nd and we are going to see February type snowfall, incredible!!

Hope so, be nice too as most people apart from a few poor souls working will be able to enjoy it.

I work in a factory with no windows, and have to keep wandering off to check if its snowing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

They are also saying Kent will get some and I cannot see where from?

Interesting METO have yellowed us, I think they are nowcasting as much as we are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I must be missing something....Just seen the latest BBC forecast, and listened to various comments....but I just cant see where the snow this evening and overnight is coming from here in Cambs and surrounding regions.

Ive just watched the radar slides and all the heavy ppn has moved NW up and into the Irish sea.

They keep saying 'if anything the band of snow will slip south into EA later and through tomorrow..?

Can someone enlighten me as to where from and how they think this is going to happen. ?

The band in the W will start to pivot and slip SE.

Posted

They are also saying Kent will get some and I cannot see where from?

Interesting METO have yellowed us, I think they are nowcasting as much as we are.

How can an alert issued on a Friday for a Sunday be classed as 'nowcasting' surely looking out the window and saying it's snowing (which by coincidence it has just started to do here) is that not a warning given over 24 hours in advance !

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

was the same here, ours only came on for an hour last night and went off!!! If it happens tonight i will not be happy!!

Must be a Hertfordshire thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Looking at how far north the front has now got, past Glasgow and on further into Scotland, I guess it is no surprise to see predictions for ppn in my area downgrading, by the time that front sinks south again it looks like it will decay before we get a chance to see anything of significance here. On the plus side we will start to see colder uppers invade later in the weekend an then start to look for showers off the North sea next week, although hit and miss in nature I am hopeful of seeing something as pressure always looks lower over the SE during the week. Looking at the current radar you can already see showers starting to the pepper the east coast of Scotland, expect as everything moves south again will see these move down the east coast and then look for some short notice troughs to be added to the fax charts. smile.png

http://www.meteorada...z=7&x=521&y=486

Just seen this. Good summarysmile.png The METO mention wintry flurries in the 3 to 5 day outlook but assuming the computer models stay as they are then by Tues/Weds I think we will be seeing something heavier suggested than that. Settling snow will be a big struggle though during the daysmile.png

Posted

Our region? Do you mean Cambridgeshire?

We were never forecast 5-10cms in the SE Corner.

Yes, for Cambridgeshire, not for the SE Corner. I always get confused as this thread used to be EA and the 3 counties.

Edited by ITSY