Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion 21st March 2013 18:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

post-884-0-64352800-1363940113_thumb.jpg

The new SNSM model (Sat Night Sunday Morning) clearly illustrates what is going to happen w00t.gif

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

One other thing to note. If you have RH<60% (which we do have here) and temps > 0C where you are, rain can turn to snow since the rain will evaporate as it falls releasing energy as it does so in the form of heat thus cooling the rain drop ....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Light snow at home AL3. The odd flake blowing around at work EN11. Wind quite gusty and strong and with chill factor Brrrrrrrrrrr. Take care all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

One other thing to note. If you have RH<60% (which we do have here) and temps > 0C where you are, rain can turn to snow since the rain will evaporate as it falls releasing energy as it does so in the form of heat thus cooling the rain drop ....

Would that work well with the strong winds we currently have?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Huge flakes dancing from the sky around here - a sign it's getting warmer, dp of 0.0c and temp of 2c - bottom of hill it's raining !

Radar says precip ending soon - not expecting anything else (snow) till late eve

Would welcome a few surprises tho..

Will avoid driving too far north of Luton this weekend smile.png

Have a great day everyone drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Had very light snow flurry here in Petts Wood/Locksbottom borders but has stopped now and nothing settled as temp is plus 2.9.Current indications are that snow will move southwards tonight and tomorrow but will remain mostly as rain South of the River Thames.However,like other instances this winter i think even with elevation South of the Thames(Places like Knockholt/Halstead-Good Luck "The Gate") may get in the act with snow as anything 500ft upwards could be in with a shot.All may not be lost though as there is a possibility of Snow for southern counties on Sunday although a fair bit of uncertainty at the moment-One to watch!!

In the meantime,good luck for those that want snow this weekend,Northern Home Counties,Norfolk,Cambs etc could wake up to winter wonderland tomorrow morning so dust down your sledges!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Shouldn't matter AFAIK.

Ian F informed me yesterday that evaporative cooling does not really occur when you have moderate low level winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

It was light snow when i left home (AL10 @ 6am), but not sure now. Sleety mix at work (SE1)....Looking in the mad thread its really hard to tell what we are going to get. Some are saying the front in further north than progged. How are we looking for herts and london?

Thanks all and take care out there.....

Posted

MetO app on my 'phone showing rain turning to sleet by 6am, and turning to heavy snow by midday, then back to sleet by 3pm. Doesn't look consistent to me, given the 850hPa etc coming SW tomorrow, you'd think once it turns to snow it would stay like that. I guess that's life living on the (marginal) edge!

Posted

Ian F informed me yesterday that evaporative cooling does not really occur when you have moderate low level winds.

Well, you learn something everyday - will go and look up the physics. After licking my arm then blowing hard on the wet spot and wondering why it feels colder under the breeze .... ;)

Edited by Boar Wrinklestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Well, you learn something everyday - will go and look up the physics. After licking my arm then blowing hard on the wet spot and wondering why it feels colder under the breeze .... tease.gif

Yes. can you please post the reason if you find out?

Not sure if it is to do with different layers of air mixing?

Posted

OK, in-house NMM run is much the same as the NAE until tomorrow midday with most of the action in EA and a bit further West:

494f40b18ca8141d55f2cea8364f4005.gif

Note that big area of interest over Paul Sherman's house again!!!

This is where NMM departs from the NAE (both hi-res models remember, only going out to + 48 hours):

post-6667-0-72000300-1363938087_thumb.pn

Snow all the way down through the SE right to the coast tomorrow evening like GFS... Lamppost watching I think. good.gif

Almost Coast. Looks like sleet for us on mother Thames.