Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 22/03/13 08z ------>

A.J

Posted

You are subscribed to North West England for Met Office.

Amber Warning of Snow for North West England

ddd

Amber Warning of Snow for North West England : Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cumbria & Halton valid from 1400 Fri 22 Mar to 0600 Sat 23 Mar

But when I look at the local forecast, issued at 1100, it shows an amber warning from 1500 today, next to a weather forecast of overcast.

post-2612-0-99120700-1363953767_thumb.pn

Posted

Defiantly some intensification of the PPN band over south Wales over the last 30 minuets...... Should be good for the Merseysiders.

Let me just get my glasses out

Posted

You are subscribed to North West England for Met Office.

Amber Warning of Snow for North West England

Amber Warning of Snow for North West England : Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Cumbria & Halton valid from 1400 Fri 22 Mar to 0600 Sat 23 Mar

Lancashire is again in the dead zone, why did I fall for the hype again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow

Greater manc now in amber warning do u think there is a risk now of snow this afternoon . Can any body tell me i live in se man hyde cheshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy drifting snow

Greater manc now in amber warning do u think there is a risk now of snow this afternoon . Can any body tell me i live in se man hyde cheshire

Posted

A bit of a long-read but ideal to give you an idea of how things are locally here in the Peaks. Train to Buxton at 8.20am was delayed but only by about 20 mins by a standing train at Hazel Grove, seems the signalling is limited on the Manchester-Sheffield line. And coming back through the Dove Holes tunnel at 10.30am I noticed workmen chipping some quite beefy icicles off the tunnel entrance.

- 11.40 Friday - the snow is easing and turning wetter in Buxton - more than 10 cm (4 inches) on the ground - Any road reports please to [email protected] - - All high level routes are severely affected - currently reporting CLOSED, are the A537 Cat & Fiddle, the A54 Congleton, and the A53 Leek roads - ROAD REPORTS IN TODAY (newest first) "A515 - -snow plough has been through and traffic is moving again after stopping - but conditions are still hazardous" Thank you Christine Orchard @ 11.00 AND "Buxton A515 to Ashbourne. A lot of drifting but manageable in old Kia Rio albeit slowly! - Conditions ease before Fenny Bentley" - Thank you Andy Southam @ 10.25 AND "Just been over the A53 Quarnford to Leek. It's passable with extreme care in a 4x4 and/or winter tyres. Exposed areas drifting heavily with 2 lorries stuck coming up the bank near to Roaches, therefore making it more difficult to plough. Ploughs and gritters are out but can't keep up with the wind. Drive carefully!" Thank you Claire Yates @ 09.40 AND "Just driven along A515 from Kingsterndale to Sterndale moor in a 4x4 . Would not advise anyone to use it at present as extremely bad in places due to drifting snow and very poor visibility due to blizzard conditions" Thank you Gemma McDowell @ 09.50 AND " Woodhead and Snake Pass are both closed - Thank you Eric Hilton @ 09.20 AND "A6 South - Just driven Buxton to Darley Dale o the A6, no problem at all although Taddington Bypass is down to one lane" Thank you Jenny Elvidge @ 09.35 AND "Just tried driving Buxton to Ashbourne on A515. Exposed parts of the road are very bad with drifting snow completely covering the road. I turned back near bull in thorns pub. If you absolutely have to travel then the road is probably passable with extreme care, but best only attempted in a 4x4" Thank you Darren Woodward @ 08.50 AND "Buxton to Leek Road virtually impassable, there are several cars stuck and very slippy" Thank you Neil Barler @ 08.55 AND "Just been out along the A515 Buxton to Ashbourne road. Got as far as Newhaven and decided to turn back. Its starting to drift quite badly on some sections now and becoming hazardous" Thank you Simon Wyn Jones @ 09.00 AND "Via Gellia gritted and mostly clear. Higher level route up to Newhaven basically drifting snow and blizzard on exposed corners. Ashbourne road to Buxton, gritted and saw snow plough - main risk will be accumulation of drifting snow on exposed parts" Thank you Paul Turner @ 08.40 AND "The road Hayfield to Glossop is terrible. All back routes for those trying to get to M67 Manchester are impassable. Cars abandoned and no gritters or ploughs in sight. Don't risk it" Thank you Kath Kilbane @ 08.15 AND "Trucks stuck at Haslin, Buxton and on Harpur Hill Road" Thank you David Hilton @ 07.45 AND "A6 Buxton to Chapel is fine as long as you take it slow" Thank you Neil @ 07.55.

Posted

Met office Amber warning is valid from 2pm so it looks like a mid afternoon return of snowfall to the south of the region looks likely - still not sure about any accumalating snow through after this mornings let down of blizzard conditions and 1-2cm of slush to show for it!

Posted

A few wet flakes in the wind almost all of our slushy deposit has gone now, next week is looking much better some nice sunshine and frosty nights.

Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!
  • Location: Cheshire, 5 miles from Manchester Airport as the 737 flies!

How can something of that size travelling in that direction, at that speed miss Cheshire?

It did last night, the sod! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

More snow coming back diwn again now with some strong gusts back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yeah realise that now I was looking at a radar from early this morning - any views on the timing it will arrive here?

Wrexham/ Mold / Flint etc... recording between 6-10inches - lucky lot 1cm of slush here sigh... sorry.gif

We'll get quite a good dumping from the second, main band.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Sellafield is performing an emergency shut down due to the severity of the weather!! http://www.cumbriacrack.com/2013/03/22/sellafield-in-emergency-shut-down/

Posted

Snow is the heaviest it's been all morning now, still small flakes but should begin to cover again :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow

Thank you, I'm working from home today and its been a washout so far, although I have just looked out and it is starting to snow again!!!

Posted

BIG FLAKES YESSSSSSS.

In other news, I'm not liking the sound of the nuclear plant shutting down. I don't fancy dying today....

Posted

BIG FLAKES YESSSSSSS.

In other news, I'm not liking the sound of the nuclear plant shutting down. I don't fancy dying today....

Could be good for Lancs though BT, a nuclear winter even we'll do well out of that Lol. Edited by Sceptical Inquirer

Posted

Well you can't argue that it isn't trying its best, heavy snow here again and just about starting to settle, hasn't really stopped all morning.