Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ------>

A.J

Posted

Got about 5inch o snow 8inch drifts the wind is still wild and i currently have snizzle which i hope doesnt melt my snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

All of Greater Manchester was under an Amber Warning from 10pm last night until 6am this morning.

No it wasn't all in there, ther border with West Yorkshire where i am was just outside the zone.

Posted

Decided to go bed early last night 'cos I was fed up with diamond dust stuff. Got up this morning, to quite a bit of snow! will take a couple of pics later. Such a shame for you lot who got sod all. Would've been great if we'd all be posting *we have snow* posts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

1.2 here it had been snowing all night but not accumalated much! Theres the odd drip in places, no snow left on pavements or roads, but plenty of grass cover, slight bits of snow blowing around in the wind now. Plus theres broken cloud now, its apparently really bad 10 mins up the road and on a hill lol Brinscall, people have abandoned their cars last night and cant get back into the villages, also West Houghton is apparently blowing a blizzard.

Posted

Yet again the variations over such short distances in snow depths are quite staggering.

We have our usual light dusting here, the grass isn't even covered. All around there seem to be some quite hefty falls. Roads closed etc. Given the time of the year i'd say it was pretty exceptional. Those of you with snow enjoy.

Posted

Sorry I have to agree with this. The Met Office did not put the whole of Greater Manchester on a warning last night, they failed spectacularily!

I have to disagree. At the bottom of the warning page where it states which areas are under the warning it clearly stated Greater Manchester from 10pm until 6am this morning.

Parts of the area may have been out of the Amber Area on the map but it was clearly stated in print.

Perhaps it's splitting hairs but the area was under warning, even if the map didn't highlight it.

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

I have to disagree. At the bottom of the warning page where it states which areas are under the warning it clearly stated Greater Manchester from 10pm until 6am this morning.

Parts of the area may have been out of the Amber Area on the map but it was clearly stated in print.

Perhaps it's splitting hairs but the area was under warning, even if the map didn't highlight it.

You've just hung yourself there mate, its alright just saying Greater Manchester but on the maps we were not covered fact. Poor from the UKMO in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Sorry I have to agree with this. The Met Office did not put the whole of Greater Manchester on a warning last night, they failed spectacularily!

Yes, the map is key, any warning on the map should correspond to text forecast, i wouldn't completely grill them on it as it was a very difficult judgement call but i definately was outside the warning area.

Posted

7-8 cms of level snow on sheltered spota buy 30cm drifts all along the street. The shadow effevt must have loosened over night.

Had it not been for the shadow effect that left Manchester pretty dry we would be looking at biggest fall of snow since I can remember. ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy

none event for Congleton, very light snow most of the night and still doing a bit have`nt even got a covering boohoo!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

About 5-6 inches of level snow here, just had to climb up the ladder and clear the Sky Dish of ice and snow, as i had lost all my HD channels

Posted

You've just hung yourself there mate, its alright just saying Greater Manchester but on the maps we were not covered fact. Poor from the UKMO in my opinion.

Crikey Dave you live a stones throw from Merseyside which was clearly under the Amber Zone on the map, hardly a bad forecast for your area!

Can't see the need to bash the Met Office over a few miles here and there. It was a difficult situation with some areas seeing hardly any snow and a few miles down the road folk getting buried. I think in general the warnings where pretty good considering.

Perhaps in future they'll also amend the picture for folk who don't read the updated warning.

No shopping today in the IOM!

Wow! You guys did get buried - amazing picture!

Posted

It looks like that's all folks..the radar show the peaks/ south pennines coming into effect and stopping the snow falling west of the pennines

This is from the local police facebook site:

As you may be aware Kirk Michael is cut off at the moment. Emergency workers who live in the village are now working from the village and are providing fire, police and medical cover. If you need them and it is an emergency go through the normal 999 call procedure. They are getting out and about checking on vulnerable persons. I spoke to an Officer out there who described the 9 foot snow drifts an...d general bad conditions as terrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

i was under the amber warning for snow,total none event here about 0.5cm in 36hrs

goodbye winter go now......and then some spring weather and sunshine please..

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

No shopping today in the IOM!

That is impressive! smile.png

Posted

Bloody Sun has just shown it's facegood.gif