Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23/03/13 08z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Guys,

What do you think?

I have to pick up my sister in Alfreton and take her to see my brother in law who is eriously ill in Sheffield hospital.

I have been told that the M1 will be closed by the M18 junction. Doea anyone have the times of this closure

If it is closed what is the best route from Alfreton to Sheffield considering the snow conditions?

PS I am not afraid of the conditions and have the day to do it!!

What are the main roads like in Derbyshire and South Yorkshire?

Midlands Ice Age

I would go up the m42 to junction 24 of the M1 check the motorway cams on the bbc travel site for your route hope u get on ok

Posted

Cant believe you dont have any snow - Im only 25 mins from you

We had a slushy covering first thing yesterday morning, but that had gone by lunchtime. Been green and muddy ever since!

As you can imagine, I find it a tad frustrating!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Still snowing hard here, when I came home from work last night, the road was clear. We now have about 4/5cm of fresh snow on top of what we had.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Guys,

What do you think?

I have to pick up my sister in Alfreton and take her to see my brother in law who is eriously ill in Sheffield hospital.

I have been told that the M1 will be closed by the M18 junction. Doea anyone have the times of this closure

If it is closed what is the best route from Alfreton to Sheffield considering the snow conditions?

Midlands Ice Age

Bish and Windysnow

Thanks for your responses.

ChrisB 1357 -

Thats a great site gives you up to date speeds for all sections of all the motorways.

Having looked at that I am going and will check that site when I get to Nottingham.

For everybody on the move check that site out.

Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

We had a slushy covering first thing yesterday morning, but that had gone by lunchtime. Been green and muddy ever since!

As you can imagine, I find it a tad frustrating!

A short drive to the Cotswolds, Malverns or up Bredon Hill is required Andy!

Posted

Snowing again here very fine flakes but coming down steadily looking at radar should get a last hurrah between 2 and 3 pm then perhaps the odd shower in the week , and who knows another dumping next weekend?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Guys,

What do you think?

Midlands Ice Age

The roads around here are at best difficult and at worst completely impassable. The A6 is closed between Buxton and Doveholes and the A515 is completely closed due to huge drifts and abandoned vehicles. There are dozens of minor roads and B roads in the Peak District which are completely impassable as they're filled with snow from one side to the other for hundreds of yards.

To be on the safe side I'd head into Nottinghamshire and approach Sheffield from the east; it's a long way round but it's a better option than trying to get via the Peak District.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light snow showers on and off here this morning with drifting continuing, all lanes round here still impassable with drifts from wall to wall in places and the main roads are only just passable with 4x4, the lane to my house is blocked for around 1/4 mile with 5/6 foot drift's hopefully the farmers will clear it soon to get to livestock, which i hope have survived as most sheep are in lamb or having lambs...

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Got a bone to pick with you Telford folk!

You've got double us again haha! Conditions deteriorate along the M54 as normal and it's a winter wonderland! Yet again your council have left main roads a state, not a patch on Shrewsbury who ensure roads are always safe

Posted

Question is has anyone got two feet (of snow) up in the Peaks?

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Question is has anyone got two feet (of snow) up in the Peaks?

Very hard to tell what with the drifting, but yes well over in places here.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Hi Staffordshire! I'm about 150m asl, I'm not great with measurements, erm I would say about 30cms of lying snow. Drifting snow in some areas of about 1ft. But that's just guessing. My car wheels have disappeard under the snow so that's kind of what I'm going off lol. Snowed a bit earlier adding a sugar dusting and now snowing again. Its very powdery snow and is easily blowing in the wind. Heard reports of cars being left along Lindon Road, due to the snow now freezing over.

wow sounds like youve done well, but 30cm of flst and 1ft drifting is the same measurement?

Posted

Amazingly, parts of the lowland Midlands likely to have an Ice Day today, almost unprecedented in the last week of March. Yesterday was the coldest March day since 1947 at Bablake with a high of +0.2c!

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It just wont relent.

Still steady snow here-fine flakes but gradually topping up the 14cms already lying from previous falls and the overnight 5cms.

Posted

Most snowfall in a single event since 1981 here.

From Terminal Marine's records going back over 50yrs for this local area.. From yesterday evening, does not include overnight or this mornings snowfall.

This event has exceeded the amount recorded in Nov/Dec 2010. Although the overall depth was greater then, peaking at 49cm on Dec' 1st, the single fall of 36cm came on top of an earlier fall which was still lying.

For one single event this is the largest single snowfall here since that of late April 1981 which recorded a mean depth of 59cm after almost 72 hours of continuous snow.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Amazingly, parts of the lowland Midlands likely to have an Ice Day today, almost unprecedented in the last week of March. Yesterday was the coldest March day since 1947 at Bablake with a high of +0.2c!

http://bws.users.netlink.co.uk/

Yep, we're well on course for an ice day here, fingers crossed. Still only -0.8c at the moment.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Conditions around the region sound amazing!! Looking forward to seeing more of your pics of the snow :D

Edited by Tamara Road

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

Another couple of cm's here overnight. I think we have about 10/11 cm in deepest areas difficult to tell. Still light snow here and I notice things are pepping up again from the south east!

Posted

A few snapshots from an hour or so ago. The overnight snow probably added another two or three cms by the look of things:

post-13544-0-88456200-1364123494_thumb.j post-13544-0-91239300-1364123504_thumb.j post-13544-0-13226800-1364123520_thumb.j

smile.png

Bish

Posted

This was my drive early'er this morning, as you can see that im in no panic to start digging it out..

post-12319-0-92450300-1364123578_thumb.j

post-12319-0-81390700-1364123620_thumb.j

Posted

Still a fair amount of light snow about increasingly so towards the east.

Posted

You think today ppn pepping up over the south east could come over the east mids our just die out.

I think many of us will continue to see light snow intermittently until this evening, doubtful it will be heavy enough to really add much to accumulations though apart from a few lucky areas which may see an extra cm or 2