Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Late cold spell - The effects

Posted

Theres an underlying theme at the moment from certain quarters that people shouldnt enjoy the current weather because of the effects it has. At the end of the day I dont subscribe to that. All weather types have negative effects in some way and its not fair to try and make people feel ashamed for enjoying a certain weather type. At the end of the day this is a weather enthusiast's forum so people's wishes for the weather they would prefer probably differ from 90% of the population.

There will be some negative effects from this late cold, but overall Im enjoying the fact it is different from the monotonous generally homogenous warm springs we've had during the last few years.

I have distinct feeling of Déjà vu here.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

We're in Agriculture (crop protection) and this has been the quietest Autumn and Spring season for years. Less than half of the winter cereal crop has been sown and it's looking increasingly likely that a fair amount of the heavy ground will now be left fallow until this coming Autumn (down here in Kent at least). Not so much of a problem at the moment but tenant farmers with very little to sell after this coming harvest will find times ahead very tough indeed. The larger owner occupied farms will be better placed to ride it out. Plus if anyone has forward sold any grain they may have shortfalls to make up contracts just when the grain price will rocket.....nice. People blather on about a warming world but it's cold that kills, slowly but very surely as evidenced here in the UK right now, right in front of our eyes

Posted

Suspect Its having a bas economic impact for businesses who rely on selling anything in connection to outside activities which rely on dry pleasant conditions, i.e garden centres etc. Also the tourist industry at large, the prospect of a cold easter wont be doing outdoor attraction businesses any favours. Farmers are having à tough time, lambing season etc. More generally everyones utility bills will be much higher than normal.

Posted

For those who are "enjoying" this late cold and snow please spare a thought for the thousands of animals that have been killed by this snow

I couldn't agree more. I got involved in this same discussion a couple of years ago and I think I attracted a fan club of one. The usual mantra is "we can't do anything about the weather".

Posted

What makes exciting armchair viewing for some is having a pretty dire effect on a lot of people and their finances - we have a few garden centres and nurseries near us and though the major ones who diversify in what they sell don't suffer too much, this weather will have a profound seffect on those tiny nurseries and smallholdings for whom Easter is usually one of their busiest times. This together with the tragic loss of animals and people in some situations together with seeing an article on the news channel with elderly people snowed in without power is enough for me to want to see this cold spell end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

A large majority of us though will 1) Enjoy this cold spell, and 2) Regret the suffering it causes, but importantly not feel that those two things are in conflict. No disrespect meant, just making the point.

Very marginal lying snow here, but it looks more like mid January than late March out there!

:) sam

Posted

A large majority of us though will 1) Enjoy this cold spell, and 2) Regret the suffering it causes, but importantly not feel that those two things are in conflict. No disrespect meant, just making the point.

Very marginal lying snow here, but it looks more like mid January than late March out there!

smile.png sam

How is there no conflict? The get out of jail card is regretting the suffering.I doubt the farmers who have lost hundreds of animals feel the same way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Hi Knocker.

Well, to my mind, theres a simple way to live life right - if you do something and it hurts someone/something, then its wrong. If it doesnt, then the rest is up to you. I cant change the weather for the next week, so I'll enjoy it as I like extremes. At the same time I hate to think of people and animals suffering. Of course if I had any say atall in it I'd make it 21c and sunny to avoid that very thing, but I dont. Being pedantic, I supose I'm lessening the net suffering by drawing the positives out of it!

:) Sam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

How is there no conflict? The get out of jail card is regretting the suffering.I doubt the farmers who have lost hundreds of animals feel the same way.

For those who are "enjoying" this late cold and snow please spare a thought for the thousands of animals that have been killed by this snow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21933135

Now this is just getting daft. I'm an animal lover, but everything kills people and animals. Should you not enjoy a beer in a pub because alcohol kills tens of thousands every year? Should you not enjoy the dark because many accidents and crime occurs at night? Should it be wrong to have a passion for cars or trains just because they kill millions world wide every year?

There is no conflict because NO ONE controls the weather. Telling yourself you can't enjoy something just because it has negative effects elsewhere that are outwith your or anyone else's control is ridiculous.

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

I think people are tupping a lot earlier these days. I remember in the 70s and 80s digging lambs out in freak late April snow but not normally in March. I work

On a smallholding as a grower and livestock keeper but I find this weather fascinating. That doesn't mean I have no concerns but we have concerns every year for various reasons I may as well enjoy the snow before we get a summer of rain and crops rotting in the ground and footrot in all te sheep.

Posted

Lol, some attempt at emotional blackmail. You really are a troll.

Edited by skifreak

Posted

I'm more concerned for all of the small businesses out there who are going to "lose" Easter. Already had someone at work who had their caravan holiday cancelled by the site due to conditions (OK I don't think they were that disappointed!). All of the resorts & attractions that would normally open & make some much needed income are going to be hit very hard as people, by & large, stay away. I realise it can't be helped & it's nobody's fault, but it's the sort of thing that could have a very harmful effect on these businesses & the economy more widely.

I sure hope you didn't "enjoy" the 2003 heat wave when 70,00 people were killed.

Edited by RAIN RAIN RAIN

Posted

It's basic but some certain flowers on parts of the grass locally are not as in full bloom as usual

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Lol, some attempt at emotional blackmail. You really are a troll.

My opinion exactly. I think some people just post for posting's sake.

The effects of the late cold spell for me are a couple of days skiing up at Glenshee next week (just booked). blum.gif !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm more concerned for all of the small businesses out there who are going to "lose" Easter. Already had someone at work who had their caravan holiday cancelled by the site due to conditions (OK I don't think they were that disappointed!). All of the resorts & attractions that would normally open & make some much needed income are going to be hit very hard as people, by & large, stay away. I realise it can't be helped & it's nobody's fault, but it's the sort of thing that could have a very harmful effect on these businesses & the economy more widely.

Meanwhile, in Scotland:

http://news.stv.tv/highlands-islands/218903-glenshee-and-other-ski-resorts-are-gearing-up-for-a-bumper-easter-period/

Not all doom and gloomgood.gif

Posted

Really is quite amazing that unless you are all out for cold you are considered a Troll - I was under the impression that this was a 'weather' forum not a 'cold and snow' forum - as such, preferences of one type of weather or another should be as valid as each other.

Edited by Isabellesnanny

Posted

Talk of lambs dying as mentioned on the model thread is vastly exaggerated certainly in this area. Lambing hasn't really got going outside yet. We are behind in getting vegetable crops started, normally carrots, cabbages etc. would be sown outside by now but lots have had to be started under cover. Early potatoes have been planted but under bales of straw and deeper than usual to or prevent freezing. Nothing too serious yet, I prefer this to the drought last year and then a soak, I imagine things are worse where fields are waterlogged rather than under snow.

Apparantly they are dying

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Really is quite amazing that unless you are all out for cold you are considered a Troll - I was under the impression that this was a 'weather' forum not a 'cold and snow' forum - as such, preferences of one type of weather or another should be as valid as each other.

I am getting a bit sick of the continuous cold weather and would enjoy some warmth however I don't know why some people post pointless random charts, or bleet on about warm weather on the horizon when it's not the case. The term 'broken record' comes to mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Precisely, so we shouldn't vilify anyone on the basis of their preferred weather.

My view is that we only live once and that I'd like to experience as much of what nature can offer as possible, including heatwaves, blizzards, storms, thunderstorms, aurora etc. How dull would it be if it was mild all the time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Now now lets all calm down a bit eh.

People are entitled to their opinion and there is nothing whatsoever wrong in enjoying the current weather conditions. There is a lot of frustration about the slow no start to spring not only on here but in the national media and the public in general so easy to get caught up in it.

It's been a tough year for animals, farmers, gardeners and the tourist industry alike but no doubt a good period for all will come along soon to balance things out.

Heatwaves, cold weather, storms, snow and wind all cause problems at time but doesn't stop them being interesting and enjoyable. Your not relishing in the suffering of others but in the weather itself!

Posted

always winners and losers in farming, be it crops or livestock.Dont lamb till the 18th here so fingers crossed things should be much better by then.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Power cuts to be expected soon.

Why?