Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland (Alba) Regional Discussion 21st May 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Evening all.

I'm with Norrance, it was dull and grey here all day. Hoping for some last fling of sunshine tomorrow before the rain comes!

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not looking too pretty on the models, we can't say it's set in stone from looking at one day of the following charts, but the ECM and GFS don't look too promising:

post-2844-0-54602300-1370842054_thumb.gi

Posted

Disappointingly dull here today with a max of around 14C. Went for a drive up towards Angus / Perthshire hills to get away from the gloom but clouds still hanging around the tops though thinner than near the coast. Must have had to go quite far West to get to the sun.

Just back from 2 weeks in Canada - was interesting flying in yesterday morning: the Hebrides basking in sun while the cloud bank sat over the mainland with just some higher peaks breaking through. Stunning.

Sun managed to come out briefly in Crail yesterday afternoon but mostly cloudy. Same again this morning - hoping for some sun later before back to work tomorrow!

Posted

Another slow start but like yesterday it should brighten up..................maybe

Posted

Only just starting to brighten up a bit now took a while!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Down in Glasgow, dull atm but quite warm and bright in parts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

A high of 15.1c today and we didn't achieve that until 4.30pm. Another cloudy one with a chilly breeze. Prospects for tomorrow look a bit better for us before it all goes Pete Tong! Ground very dry here though and our grass looks like straw. Garden hasn't got a lot of colour in it either as I lost my lupins and a few delphiniums as has my neighbour. Didn't think the winter was that cold in this part? Any other reasons?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Absolutely stunning day again once it brightened up .Strong sunshine and a maximum of 23c and mucking out folds today  .Millions of flies released so we were surrounded by swallows and swifts. The ammonia has  also made me very sleepy tonight.

Crop all sprayed for weeds at the weekend and it  has hit 100% of the target, no rain to spoil its effect this year.  Growth is just roaring on now.

Posted

A high of 15.1c today and we didn't achieve that until 4.30pm. Another cloudy one with a chilly breeze. Prospects for tomorrow look a bit better for us before it all goes Pete Tong! Ground very dry here though and our grass looks like straw. Garden hasn't got a lot of colour in it either as I lost my lupins and a few delphiniums as has my neighbour. Didn't think the winter was that cold in this part? Any other reasons?

Hi Until about 3 weeks ago we had  had 7 months when night time temperatures would not allow plant growth so a lot of plants suffered this last autumn/winter/spring. Easy to forget now we have somewhat better weather.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Only one of my ~6 lupins are doing well (going to transplant this one around a bit as it seems to be a strong one). I was quite surprised as most were previously vigorous. I noticed on the A68 an area usually full of lupins near the Dalkeith bypass has them very thin on the ground this year.

As NL says, the long cold spring and lack of mild nights has been a problem.

I still have one daffodil flowering and it's nearly midsummers day!

Garden is now green and fairly healthy looking, but quite a few plants have struggled, although others have taken advantage of this and I've had to thin these a lot.

Currently 12 C.

Sun came out late afternoon to make for a nice evening after a grey and nondescript day.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just back from 2 weeks in Canada - was interesting flying in yesterday morning: the Hebrides basking in sun while the cloud bank sat over the mainland with just some higher peaks breaking through. Stunning. Sun managed to come out briefly in Crail yesterday afternoon but mostly cloudy. Same again this morning - hoping for some sun later before back to work tomorrow!

Some sun did make it through here in the afternoon but not exactly wall to wall. We are off to Canada next month as well. Cannot wait!

Posted

Like Scottish Skier we still have 6 daffodils flowering behind a north facing dyke, apple blossom is still in full flower, and there were huge yellow clouds of pollen exploding from the surrounding conifer woods all afternoon probably 2 weeks late so nature is sending out some strange signals but probably all down to the very cold spring.

Another Fabulous sunsetpost-2744-0-23237700-1370901786_thumb.jp with the hint of some noctilucent cloud which I could  not capture with the camera.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Bonnie dae in Grampian 17c, although with a cool breeze,  makes up for the cold Sunday haar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Bonnie dae in Grampian 17c, although with a cool breeze,  makes up for the cold Sunday haar

A complete reversal in fortunes then Jo....after a beautiful spell last week and through the weekend today has been rank.Briefly touched 14c earlier...more commonly around 12c with an annoying easterly!! Although theres only been a small amount of rain today its been positively dull out there..in fact I'm needing to turn on the lights ridiculously early tonight.

Posted

Has actually been quite pleasant here in Inverness, over 17'C high and cloudy, but sunny at times. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

SKYWARN UK SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH #019
ISSUED: 1430UTC TUESDAY 11TH JUNE 2013

SKYWARN UK FORECASTS THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CONDITIONS AS FOLLOWS:
STRONG, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING GUSTS - ENGLAND, WALES, NORTHERN IRELAND, SOUTHERN SCOTLAND
LARGE, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING HAIL - ENGLAND, WALES
TORNADOES - EASTERN, SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN ENGLAND

IN EFFECT FROM 0600UTC UNTIL 2100UTC WEDNESDAY 12TH JUNE 2013

A ROBUST WARM AIRMASS WILL BE ENCOURAGED NORTHWARD FROM THE BISCAY AREA IN CONJUNCTION WITH A SHARPLY OVERSPREADING UPPER JETSTREAM AND STRONG WINDS AT ALL LEVELS. DESTABILISATION ALONG THE WARM FRONT, TRIPLE POINT AND SOUTH OF THE JET NOSE IS EXPECTED TO YIELD STRONG CONVECTION IN A HIGHLY SATURATED PROFILE.

DISCUSSION: EARLY IN THE PERIOD, HEAVY SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE ADVECTED INTO THE SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND, AS A WARMER THAN AVERAGE AIRMASS SURGES NORTHEAST. THE UPPER JET OVERSPREADS THIS PROVIDING AMPLE FORCING FOR STRONG CONVECTION DESPITE ONLY SLIGHT INSTABILITY. LATER IN THE PERIOD, THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE OCCLUDED FRONT OVER NORTHERN IRELAND, WALES AND SOUTHERN SCOTLAND, WITH FURTHER INITIATION FROM THE RESURGENT JETSTREAM AND STRONGER WARM AIR ADVECTION INTO WALES AND ENGLAND. THOUGH CONVECTION SHOULD BEGIN ELEVATED, DAYTIME HEATING AND A LONGER OVERLAND FETCH SHOULD ALLOW FOR SOME SURFACE-BASED INSTABILITY AND GREATER POTENTIAL FOR DEEPER CONVECTION FURTHER EAST ACROSS ALL PARTS OF ENGLAND AND PERHAPS SCOTLAND. THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE UK WILL BE AT GREATER RISK OF STRONGER CONVECTION, WITH INTENSE RAINFALL AND POTENTIALLY LARGE HAIL. ALL AREAS HAVE SUFFICIENT LOW LEVEL HELICITY AND SHEAR FOR ENHANCED CHANCES OF TORNADOES, THOUGH AGAIN THIS RISK IS GREATER FURTHER EAST AND SOUTH. THIS WATCH MAY BE UPGRADED. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFO AS NECESSARY.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA.

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH #019

ISSUED: 1430UTC TUESDAY 11TH JUNE 2013

SKYWARN UK FORECASTS THE POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CONDITIONS AS FOLLOWS:

STRONG, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING GUSTS - ENGLAND, WALES, NORTHERN IRELAND, SOUTHERN SCOTLAND

LARGE, POTENTIALLY DAMAGING HAIL - ENGLAND, WALES

TORNADOES - EASTERN, SOUTHERN AND NORTHERN ENGLAND

IN EFFECT FROM 0600UTC UNTIL 2100UTC WEDNESDAY 12TH JUNE 2013

A ROBUST WARM AIRMASS WILL BE ENCOURAGED NORTHWARD FROM THE BISCAY AREA IN CONJUNCTION WITH A SHARPLY OVERSPREADING UPPER JETSTREAM AND STRONG WINDS AT ALL LEVELS. DESTABILISATION ALONG THE WARM FRONT, TRIPLE POINT AND SOUTH OF THE JET NOSE IS EXPECTED TO YIELD STRONG CONVECTION IN A HIGHLY SATURATED PROFILE.

DISCUSSION: EARLY IN THE PERIOD, HEAVY SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE ADVECTED INTO THE SOUTHWEST AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND, AS A WARMER THAN AVERAGE AIRMASS SURGES NORTHEAST. THE UPPER JET OVERSPREADS THIS PROVIDING AMPLE FORCING FOR STRONG CONVECTION DESPITE ONLY SLIGHT INSTABILITY. LATER IN THE PERIOD, THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THE OCCLUDED FRONT OVER NORTHERN IRELAND, WALES AND SOUTHERN SCOTLAND, WITH FURTHER INITIATION FROM THE RESURGENT JETSTREAM AND STRONGER WARM AIR ADVECTION INTO WALES AND ENGLAND. THOUGH CONVECTION SHOULD BEGIN ELEVATED, DAYTIME HEATING AND A LONGER OVERLAND FETCH SHOULD ALLOW FOR SOME SURFACE-BASED INSTABILITY AND GREATER POTENTIAL FOR DEEPER CONVECTION FURTHER EAST ACROSS ALL PARTS OF ENGLAND AND PERHAPS SCOTLAND. THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE UK WILL BE AT GREATER RISK OF STRONGER CONVECTION, WITH INTENSE RAINFALL AND POTENTIALLY LARGE HAIL. ALL AREAS HAVE SUFFICIENT LOW LEVEL HELICITY AND SHEAR FOR ENHANCED CHANCES OF TORNADOES, THOUGH AGAIN THIS RISK IS GREATER FURTHER EAST AND SOUTH. THIS WATCH MAY BE UPGRADED. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFO AS NECESSARY.

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS REQUESTED AND SPOTTERS ARE REQUESTED TO REPORT ALL FACTORS EXCEEDING ACTIVATION CRITERIA.

Posted Image

Posted

I hope everyone enjoyed the fantastic start to summer this year. Today it's back to the usual dull and damp conditions but I remain hopeful for more warm weather later this month. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Came up north last night in wonderful clear air although the hilltops had a strange woolly blanket over them all - this was notable because it was so widespread - it seemed most of the hills of the interior of Caithness and Sutherland were like this... 

The deer are finally shedding winter coats and antlers starting to grow.  I don't envy them this itchy process... 

Aspen whisper gently at this time of year before the leaves have hardened up so I had my tea here listening to my favourite music turned down low while the trees sang harmony... I kid you not, The Rootsman meets the Disciples meets Aspen, playing 'Rebirth' - bliss. 

I seem to have crippleband tonight so photos may or may not upload...

Yes, I have noticed rather fewer lupins around this year. But I gathered some seed last year from an amazing group of many colours growing wild on the north of the Black Isle so hope to replenish stocks. I don't think the plants are very long-lasting anyway are they Blitzen?

Rain in the north tonight at last - the cloud's been building all day after a really windy, bright start.  Be good to get a couple of less windy days in the next week to let the early summer butterflies show their wings. 

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Yes, I have noticed rather fewer lupins around this year. But I gathered some seed last year from an amazing group of many colours growing wild on the north of the Black Isle so hope to replenish stocks. I don't think the plants are very long-lasting anyway are they Blitzen?

[/quote

I really couldn't say HC. This would have been year 6 for mine this year. Same with the delphiniums - although 2 of those have survived. I think it must have been weather/temp related as NL said. I think I will put in some of the dwarf varieties next time as they are quite vigorous and did well at the last house.

Surprised when I opened the back door this morning with a rush of warm air on my face. You can tell that the nagging easterly has finally gone. Pity it wasn't combined with some sun though. Dank and drizzly here today so far.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Golly some rain just now. Roads awash, etc. Time for a nice cup of tea I think. Maybe with a shot of JD.

Later... The JD wasn't on the menu after all cos 5 mins later I was back out. And now, after the rain and with no wind, guess who's coming to dinner.  Oh yes, they're back and they're hungry.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Well a nice drop of rain overnight and a few sharp showers this afternoon.  Very humid with thundery looking cloud this afternoon and a maximum of 18c but just ideal neep germinating weather. Went on a farm walk last night on a large arable unit  to the east of us where the attention to detail was great to see and special mention was made of the dedicated staff which helped to create such a good looking farm. After the rain we can actually see areas of gravel and sand in the fields where drought was just taking hold so the rain has just come in time . A vigorously growing cereal crop  at this time of year can consume an inch of rain/week through evapo-transpiration.  The weather of the last ten days has transformed the farm and it was a pleasure to walk round it tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Up in a very gloomy Aberdeenshire this morning. Odd bits of brightness above fields of rapeseed gave a very strange yellow light to the mist in places. Didn't have a camera unfortunately. Got back to Dundee just as the sun came through. Quite pleasant with the temp getting up to 18.4C.

Posted

Golly some rain just now. Roads awash, etc. Time for a nice cup of tea I think. Maybe with a shot of JD.

Later... The JD wasn't on the menu after all cos 5 mins later I was back out. And now, after the rain and with no wind, guess who's coming to dinner.  Oh yes, they're back and they're hungry.

The midges actually put on quite a beautiful display in Inverness last week; hundreds out gliding around in the low purple-orange twilight, catching the light which made them look like fireflies!

Posted

The midges actually put on quite a beautiful display in Inverness last week; hundreds out gliding around in the low purple-orange twilight, catching the light which made them look like fireflies!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You may find yourself a little isolated if you start a cult of the midge...

Posted Image