Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 27th July 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

It's really interesting, we can't get an MCS here like we used to. I just guess they have to come directly from the south and head north from France. Nonetheless, two isolated Thunderstorms from this so far...

That's what we had here....multiple return strokes and continual flashing.

Blue sky though emerging to my south Posted Image coming to an end for me here I think.

Very very turbulent on the back side of these storms, quite strong up draughts and a lot of shear!!

Sadly though not going to be dark enough for me to get any lightning shots Posted Image

Posted

Can't help but be curious about these reports of strobe flashing lightning

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy rain now, thunder nearly over me, maybe 4/5 miles to my South.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This lot now clearing has one impressive anvil!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Just sat on the train out of east London and had some bouncy hail and a few juicy CGs, it's still hot... Dying to get home and get the camera out!

Posted

Echo lees post. Plenty of rain here only sporadic lightning though. Nothing major. Especially compared to the bar set last year that saw the Hinckley hail storm. Its on YouTube.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Once again it looks like the BBC have got it wrong for our region Posted Image Posted Image

Pffft we'd struggle to catch a cold let alone a thunderstorm.

Posted

First lightning returns in the Peak District appearing now - east of Manchestford and north of Derby.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Can hear distant growling thunder coming from the south of MK at the minute, think something good is brewing :)

Posted

interestingly - the low level cloud here is going directly WEST lol

yeah, looking at the radar the whole lot seems to be rotating, i presume as the low pressure forms?

just been back out and the general cloud travel is now NE to SW , where as the cell that came thru here half hour ago was travelling pretty much due north.

still rumbling around out there too

Posted

It's a sad state of affairs isn't it, you've got to laugh otherwise you'd end up crying! lol

It certainly is when tantrum throwing and throwing the toys out of the pram overtakes rational thought. We can't judge until after the event. This region was never under a real threat from the thunder but more so from the rain. We won't know the results until it has passed through.So lets get a grip for gawd sake people! Edited by Weather-history

Posted

First lightning returns in the Peak District appearing now - east of Manchestford and north of Derby.

Yep some big bangs and flashed now here..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can hear distant growling thunder coming from the south of MK at the minute, think something good is brewing Posted Image

Thanks for the heads up :) Have heard 1 or 2 myself so hopfully get more and louder in a bit :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Distant rumbling in Peterborough now, certainly clarified by the old puppies anyway!!

Posted

Yep some big bangs and flashed now here..

yep , I can here em here, looks like right on top of you, maybe ashbourne, storms about 6 to 7 miles south of me, arching lighting across the sky line, with 15 second thunder rumbles around the valley.

It certainly is when tantrum throwing and throwing the toys out of the pram overtakes rational thought. We can't judge until after the event. This region was never under a real threat from the thunder but more so from the rain. We won't know the results until it has passed through.So lets get a grip for gawd sake people!

Just studying the latest few frames of the radar and its actually breaking up on its leading edge as it's reaching Cheshire! There's a big hole opened up with precipitation either side. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

is the radar for Raintoday located in Watford?